Invincible

Do you prefer a "manly" man or a "sensitive" man?

34 posts in this topic

Given one of the two extremes, which one would you prefer?

The "manly" man: Focuses a lot of his physical strength, has a rugged look, obsessed with sports, drives trucks and muscle cars, shoots guns, grows out a full beard, has a blue collar job, rarely shows emotion, loves to hunt, wears lots of tattoos, eats lots of meat, has an aggressive and take charge personality, has my sexy low voice, wears boxers, watches Top Gear or Man vs Wild.

The "sensitive" man: Is very in tune with his emotions, loves poetry, art or literature, loves the Notebook and other chick flicks, is vegetarian or vegan, wears skinny jeans and/or tighty whities, has a job that channels creativity, gets along better with women then other men, watches Oprah, is an animal rights activist, is really into fashion, has a more gentle and nurturing personality, is musically talented, is into theater.

4 people like this

Whynotboth_zpskwntxn64.jpg

Well, both are a little too extreme for me and a little unappealing. 

But I would chose the sensitive guy, because he sounds a little less unappealing to me.

But I think a guy who was a mix of both manly and sensitive would be much better.  :D

15 people like this

The 'sensitive' man, definitely. Emotional repression is a total turn-off to me, and can make communication (the lifeblood of a healthy relationship) very difficult. Plus I think it shows a lot of confidence for a man to go against the norms set by society, and instead be totally secure and happy with his own interests.

5 people like this

Even before reading the description of the different men, just reading the question, I know my answer: I LOVE MANLY MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

I always go around saying that I love manly men. I also love sensitive men, or "nice guys". I am NOT attracted to a man who does not show emotions or cannot express his emotions or open up to me. An emotionally attuned, sensitive manly man is the ultimate man for me. I know it is possible to be a sensitive, manly man because my pastor is one!!!!! He is extremely sensitive to people and God, but can fix roofs, do plumbing, can box, etc. He eats healthily, is poetic, sings, dances with flags, etc. He will get down his knees in front of the church and sing to his wife.

My dad is not manly. He has to call his guy friends over to fix a broken shower head. He probably couldn't even install a new doorknob. (Which I can do). No disrespect intended, but things like that are huge turn offs. At the same time, he is not sensitive and emotive.

ULTIMATELY, it's all about chemistry because some "manly men" are just obnoxious and arroagant. A man that showed interest in me last year was more like the sensitive, nurturing guy you described. I liked him but I would never be with him because I do not get the sense that he would defend or protect me if needed. He is a coward who is afraid of what people think, and afraid of other men. That is a huge turn off for me. 

6 people like this

Of the two options presented I suppose I would prefer the manly man, but as others have said the examples given are extreme polar opposites, and I would probably not be attracted to either of those men!

1 person likes this

If these two were the only two I could choose, it would be the manly man. A lot of the stuff the sensitive man does I am not into And I feel like I would brake him :(.

Haha I would love a mix of both. I am not an overly sensitive woman, and I am not a manly woman... though I actually am less sensitive than my mother and brother so I suppose I have my dad's personality there. I think I'm a mix of both.

I would prefer a man more sensitive than me emotionally, at least with expression because I sometimes won't express much and I hold stuff in. I would love a guy who knows his way around a gun because I don't... and would love him to teach me ;D. HAHA VINCE manly voice. SUCH A PLUS!!! I already have a huge truck to haul my horses ;). But there is a certain attraction about men who step out of a huge truck... with a cowboy hat... and a plaid shirt :| dear lord. don't know what it is. I don't like men who repress emotions, like most of the above posters have mentioned. My dad does this and my mom has to constantly pry for him to tell her what's wrong and it drives me crazy.

A man who can do a lot with his mind is very attractive to me, but growing up around old fashioned men like my dad and my uncle, who can essentially fix anything and work with their hands has put me in a bind because I realize this is very efficient, but most of the guys nowadays don't know how to fix something simple... sigh... a handy man is also an attractive man LOL!

I wouldn't settle for either one... so a mix is a must. :D He must love, and I mean love horses.

3 people like this

I think I'd choose to be alone if I had to choose an extreme. :) I want a guy who is secure in himself, no matter what his interests (whether 'manly' or sensitive), but is also able to communicate. Communication is too important not to have, but skinny jeans and watching 'Oprah' are too much (I use to watch on occasion, so there is a reason for that), as well. As for all of the other stuff you've listed in both descriptions, I don't really care. I don't care if we are nearly total opposites, as long as we share a faith in God and we are both willing to share our worlds on occasion so we can spend time with each other and know each other better, if we can agree to disagree on some things, and can both be secure enough with each other.

Sorry, can't give you a direct answer on this. lol They are TOO extreme.

3 people like this

OK maybe the Oprah thing would be too harsh. :)

Great question Vince, as always :D

Which one, which one..... Manly men!!!! :D

I would have to agree with the other ladies these two guys are extremes, that I want a manly man who knows how to communicate efficiently, has respect and shows kindness to others, and sees that we are of equal value. Sure we have different roles but we are of equal value ^_^ There is something very attractive about a man who is confident and knows what he wants in life... Manly men are too damn sexy!!!! Tehehehehe :D

The sensitive guy you discribed completely turns me off, I don't know why, it is just that way :o

No offense to the ladies who like sensitive men or if you are a sensitive man, this is just my preference in men :)

1 person likes this

...I would love a guy who knows his way around a gun because I don't... and would love him to teach me

...manly voice. SUCH A PLUS!!!

A man who can do a lot with his mind is very attractive to me...

Me, too! :) I guess I was tired, and forgot these when responding, but yes! lol Not deal breakers, but definitely pluses. Of course, I think I want him to be just a little less sensitive than me... I need someone who can balance me, and help me to rationalize when I'm really emotional. Someone who is willy to be a shoulder to cry on. I am usually that person, and on the occasion that I have needed it, it's been really hard not to have it much. A lot of the time I'm pretty rational, but there are times.

Like others have said, I find both extremes pretty unattractive - but in less extreme cases, I'd prefer a sensitive man to a manly one. I'm pretty sensitive myself and emotional support and communication from both sides are some of the things I *need* in a relationship, so a gruff, "get over these emotions and come hunt with me" guy wouldn't really suit me :P On the other hand, I still need my man to be a man. So a mixture of both, say 80% sensitive and 20% manly, would be perfect in my opinion. Guys who are kind and sensitive towards others, but who don't hesitate to stand up for themselves (and especially to defend their partner/children)… Yep, that's pretty much the most attractive you can get to me :)

2 people like this

I don't care which, as long as he is a God-fearing man who respects life ("eats a lot of meat....loves to hunt" would not agree with me though).

1 person likes this

If only those two men were available, I'd find myself a nice lady instead.

1 person likes this

I think, I would have to pass on both of those lovely examples and go for someone inbetween. Also, I wonder if being sensitive is really the opposite of being "manly"? I've heard people refer to my father as, "The Man". He catches wild snakes, hunts, fishes, can literally fix and make anything, and all the while remains extremely emotionally sensitive.

1 person likes this

I like the manly man, with a little sensitive mixed in. Couldn't pick just one, but leaning more towards the manly.

haha two massive extremes! From the manly side I am sport obsessed, used to be pretty muscular but really can't abide gyms any more. We don't do guns in England! But I would love to shoot. Though i'd never shoot an animal. And I have the beard. BUT I'm also artsy, I love literature, i'm very empathetic. Pretty sensitive. I did enjoy Les Miserables! Wall-E, and the start of UP can make me cry. Then again football has made me cry once. So i'm somewhere in between. A perfect example would be a kid I didn't really like at school, I wound up at his house and his dog was quite small and yappy and he kicked it pretty hard, so I hit him. So I used violence but because he kicked a dog... I also was at a club once and drunk (and hating every second) when I saw a massive guy (about 6'6) bullying the hell out of this fat guy with his mate. Really being horrible, so once again I intervened. Though this time I got punched by a bigger, more sober guy and his mate!  Some friends dragged him off but I almost got knocked out and my cheek was like sandpaper and blue the next day! Since then I've never helped anyone and i'll never help anyone ever again :lol:

this topic is interesting but kinda impossible to choose. we've got the choice between 2 extreems & personally i'd answer none at all or both put together.

1 person likes this

but if i really do not have these options (any at all or both of them put together) i'd choose the manly man. i just cannot support a guy too soft, that's for women, leave this play for me then & play your "manly" role!!!

Somewhere in between. If it's one end or another its really annoying. Crybabies are annoying meatheads are obnoxious.

1 person likes this

I think given the choice between extremes (because clearly as everyone has pointed out, moderation is key in any spectrum), I'd chose the "manly" man. Part of that choice comes from the idea of balance--as a writer I'm such an overly emotional person, and I tend to get swept away and passionate in every moment, so I think that the "manly" guy described here sounds earthy and grounded, someone who could pull be back from the clouds if I ever floated too far. Apart from the fact that my type is basically a lumberjack with loads of tattoos, I think that any extreme kind of polarity in personalities could work so long as differences didn't equate the loss of respect for those differences. Most of my friends have extremely different personalities from myself, but that doesn't mean that they don't try to understand and love those differences. I also know that I am completely inept (speaking only for myself, because women can do amazing things and don't need any guy to help them, in my own opinion) at fixing anything, so having someone around who could simultaneously make me feel safe while also fixing a leaking roof is perfection. So long as he politely listens to me rant about poetry, I'm good.

3 people like this

I'd want a man that has a balance between both. Like I absolutely need someone to kill the spider for me okay! But when I'm feeling emotional I would like someone who could empathize a little too.

Sometimes I wish guys would just be themselves instead of trying to put on a tough face. I want a guy who can labor hard but also hug his mom at the end of the day :)

3 people like this

The sensitive guy. I can't stand emotionally constipated men.It's one thing to not show emotion around others but even when in a relationship? I don't see anything manly about that.I find it such a turn-off.

7 people like this