Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ

5 reasons why modern christians wouldnt get along with first christians

6 posts in this topic

This blogger is a Progressive & as such, his words should be taken with a grain of salt. He even wrote a post about 25 verses that disprove a Eternal Conscious Hell. Luke 16:23-31 makes it obvious there IS a Eternal Conscious Hell. Though it is a parable, Jesus described the nature of Hell: the rich man is IS conscious of his torment as he cries out for water and begs Abraham to warn his family of his fate, but is informed that they won't listen. Now, if ANYONE would now the true nature of Hell, it would be Jesus.

2 people like this

The matter of Hell is still pretty widely debated between different denominations. There's a really interesting documentary on Netflix called (fittingly) Hellbound? that gets into it. This screencap is basically the tl;dr though.

post-41285-0-10612200-1424360095_thumb.p

lol i just posted it becuase i feel like that specific post is food for thought

i agree with this post, i haven't looked at his other posts, whether or not that shouldn't really impact what i think of this post,

that be like me saying something amazing that would benefit the world but because i have some weird view on something else people would refuse it

or a better analogy it be like me refusing Jesus teachings because he went crazy in that temple one time

Meh, I see a couple of issues with this right off the bat. Firstly, the blogger claims that the early Christians didn't warn anyone about Hell. After a very quick search through the Catholic Answers website, I've already found a collection of quotes from the early Christians who are indeed warning about Hell, and in pretty strong terms, too.

http://www.catholic.com/tracts/the-hell-there-is

Secondly, only today I was listening to a talk about the early Christians, and it's true that they didn't allow soldiers to become Christians. But it wasn't because they were all pacifists - it was because soldiers were commanded to offer tributes to the pagan gods every morning, and that was something that was incompatible with the Christian faith. Now, I only have the word of the priest who gave the talk to go on - obviously, because it's a talk, there's no sources I can look at. The problem is, the blogger doesn't give any sources for his claim either. So I'm not sure who I should believe.

xxx

7 people like this

I for one would love to try out the communal type of living described in the Bible, where people redistribute wealth. I think this type of living worked in biblical times because it was all believers who voluntarily lived that way. I don’t think it’s a good idea for a political regime to force people into living that way however.

Regarding an eternal conscious hell, this is my interpretation: the rich man in the story in Luke 16:23-31 isn't in final hell, he's in Sheol, which is also called Hades. Several versions of the bible including the NIV, ESV and YLT say specifically he's in Hades--in Luke 16:23. There are two distinct places referenced by the bible: one is Sheol/Hades and the other is called Gehenna, or the lake of fire. When people pass away, they go to Sheol. At some time in the future, lost people will meet final judgement then they will go to Gehenna/the lake of fire. This happens at an unknown time in the future, during the chronology of Revelation:

Revelation 20:13-15 (YLT)

13 and the sea did give up those dead in it, and the death and the hades did give up the dead in them, and they were judged, each one according to their works;

14 and the death and the hades were cast to the lake of the fire -- this [is] the second death;

15 and if any one was not found written in the scroll of the life, he was cast to the lake of the fire.

So the rich man was in Sheol, awaiting the time when he'd go to Gehenna. And Jesus does say:

Matthew 10:28 (YLT)

And be not afraid of those killing the body, and are not able to kill the soul, but fear rather Him who is able both soul and body to destroy in gehenna.

Jesus says the soul and body are destroyed in gehenna. To me the destruction of a soul means the end of it. I don’t think a soul that has been destroyed sill experiences a conscious existence. And He says this destruction will happen in Gehenna, not Sheol. So the rich man is suffering in Sheol, and hasn’t yet encountered destruction in the lake of fire.

What confuses many people is that they know only one word “hell†however there are two distinct places, Sheol and Gehenna.