Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Natureboy

50 Shades of Gray

30 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

What do you all think about that movie "50 Shades of Gray" coming out on Valentines Day?

I can't watch it even if I wanted to - it has been banned for obscenity in my country!

4 people like this

I'm going to see it with my boyfriend. I read the books and enjoyed them. Honestly, I don't see the story as being violent. I see it as a story of a broken man who is taught to really love. I hope the movie portrays that well. Now thats not to say that the sexual aspect of the story isn't an intrigue, but in regards to many of the arguments made against it lately, I see the story in a whole different way.

2 people like this

I don't have much interest in it, but I don't see it as a problem at all, let people enjoy it.

2 people like this

The BDSM and sexual aspect of the books didn't bother me -- what bothered me was what happened *outside* the bedroom. Christian Grey is completely and utterly abusive towards Ana, and though she makes a little noise about it not being right, she capitulates to his demands every. single. time. She is afraid to do anything -- even go out with a friend or wear a certain outfit -- because she is so scared of his reactions. Here's an article that breaks down 50 individual instances of abuse in the series (and only gets about half-way through the series, which means there's likely at least 100 instances of abuse throughout the entire thing, because Christian's behavior really, really does not get any better). Also, Ana's kind of a terrible person on her own, so I can't even get into it due to feeling sympathy for her.

That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with enjoying the books; I don't think all people who dig Silence of the Lambs want to be serial killers, and I don't think that all people who are into 50 Shades want to become battered women. But it's one thing to enjoy the series while acknowledging that a relationship with Christian Grey would be horrific to experience in real life, and another to think of Christian Grey as the ideal lover, husband, and father (after he's been 'fixed' by love, of course). And there are wayyyyy too many people who seem to think of him as the latter.

Also, apparently the press tour for 50 Shades has been a disaster. So there's that.

2 people like this

I'll see this instead: 

Glad I'm not the only one who wants to see this! Wish I had someone to see it with though!

4 people like this

Glad I'm not the only one who wants to see this! Wish I had someone to see it with though!

Awe... I know what you mean :o

Us ladies can as least go together and it wouldn't be weird, but if you tried to take a guy friend with you to watch the movie everyone would get the wrong idea!

1 person likes this

Awe... I know what you mean :o

Us ladies can as least go together and it wouldn't be weird, but if you tried to take a guy friend with you to watch the movie everyone would get the wrong idea!

I'll probably go watch it by myself, lol.

2 people like this

http://theramblingcurl.blogspot.com/2014/02/fifty-abusive-moments-in-fifty-shades.html

Written by someone who's been there, and saw some parallels in her own experiences. Long, but worth the read.

I have never read the books, but what this woman is explaining, I am supremely shocked that this series is so popular! :o Why would anyone want or promote abuse???? This makes my heart ache, teaching young girls and women to accept abuse and believe this is "love".

I have been in an abusive relationship sadly, but once I realized it was being abuse I ran for the hill and dumped the jerk.

What is bad as well is this book and it's fan base is showing abusive guys that "yep, there a plenty of females who will date/sleep with you because you are 'sexy' and consider what horrible things you do as 'love' "

This fan base breaks my heart :(

5 people like this

I don't plan on watching it. It's not my cup of tea. Although, speaking of Fifty Shades of Gray, I found this item.

post-830-0-77909200-1429227958_thumb.jpg

2 people like this

I'd rather gouge out both my eyes than watch the movie. It would be less painful.  :)

2 people like this

More like 50 shades of hell fire and nasty......

Never watched it and NEVER will.

4 people like this

I died at the bonus Batman quote at the end of the video

2 people like this