Steadfast Madcap

Sibling Getting Married

14 posts in this topic

I just found out my older brother is getting married! I'm so friggin' excited!!!

Do any of you have married or soon-to-be-married siblings? What was the wedding like for you? Did you know their fiance well beforehand, or were you total strangers? (The first time I meet my brother's boyfriend and his family will be when I fly out for the wedding, so that is a little nerve-wracking!)

7 people like this

Congrates!!

My sister got married almost 2 years ago, and I was the maid of honor. I helped with finding her dress, decorating and cleaning up. It opened my eyes to the fact I do not want a big wedding. I've known my brother-in-law since my sister has known him.

btw, I maybe biased, but my niece is the cutest! :wub:

Congrats!!!

I sure hope I won't have a married or soon-to-be married sibling anytime soon… My sister is 17 :P

4 people like this

Congrates!!

My sister got married almost 2 years ago, and I was the maid of honor. I helped with finding her dress, decorating and cleaning up. It opened my eyes to the fact I do not want a big wedding. I've known my brother-in-law since my sister has known him.

btw, I maybe biased, but my niece is the cutest! :wub:

It's like we are twins!!!

2 people like this

My twin brother and I both got married last year! My wedding was in March, and his was in October. I've known his wife since high school, but I didn't meet her family until the wedding.

I met Beau's entire family at Thanksgiving (when we'd been exclusive about a month). My parents and brothers met Beau a few weeks later. Both sets of parents met about a month before our formal engagement, but our families didn't meet each other until the wedding.

My twin brother's wedding was still a little awkward for me for other reasons. I was the only sibling not in the wedding party. I understood it, b/c my SIL has been a bridesmaid in more weddings than the number of friends she had in her bridal party, so it was hard enough for her to choose bridesmaids, but it still sucked to see my other brother, her brother, and her sister up there.

My evil heinous cousin wasn't supposed to be there, but she was. Evil heinous cousin can apparently say incredibly insulting things about my marriage and my desperate need to have a government-approved relationship, but she can still cheerfully attend my twin brother's wedding.

Finally, my aunts and uncles who couldn't even bother to send me a card congratulating me on my wedding were all able to attend his.

So, yeah, the wedding was beautiful, and I cried, and I was ridiculously happy, but the long weekend definitely included some awkwardness.

1 person likes this

My older sis was married 2 years ago and recently gave birth to their first baby boy. We, the family, met when they became engaged and it was a tad awkward, I'll admit. They did the whole courting after engagement which is hilarious since they're both in their 30's. But, good news, we all warmed up to each other.

I organized my sister's wedding in exchange for opting out of bridesmaid duties. They had a huge, emphasis on huge, very traditional wedding and I have an aversion to being anywhere near that. All in all, it was fun and exhausting. Weddings are interesting in how emotionally and physically exhausting they can be for all involved, but seeing your loved ones happy makes it all worthwhile.

2 people like this

I am the oldest of 4 kids.

I have one married sister, but she is in the process of getting divorced, and the only person at her wedding was my mom. She was married at the courthouse. From my understanding the judge had never had a couple she'd married divorced. I guess there is a first for everything. No, I didn't know him very well beforehand. In fact, neither did she.

My brother married a couple of years ago. I had met her a few times, but I've never met her family. He was adopted, and we found him about a week before he turned 19. I don't know much of his family, either. They still seem happy, and are talking about starting their family. I wasn't in their wedding, but I designed their invites. She is a lovely girl.

Oh, in case it's not obvious... this is libs1979, btw.

3 people like this

I was a bridesmaid in my sister's wedding.  I believe my older sister was the maid of honor. :) It was such a beautiful, amazing wedding!!!  

I knew her husband when he was her dorky friend. I told her to give him a chance.  She did.  They now have 2 children!!! :) 

Congrats!!!

3 people like this

My three older brothers are all now married (9 years ago, 6 years ago, and last year) I was the best man at one of them. I knew all three of my sisters-in-law prior to the marriages, though not very well. One of them I knew a little better because my brother had been trying to get her to date him for like 6 years. I kind of like wedding ceremonies--they're nice and emotional--but I'm not a fan of the reception. I just wanna eat and go home. lol. It's like a big party full of people I don't know and don't care to know. The weddings of the older brothers were both held in our church, so they weren't particularly beautiful. But the last one was at a horse farm, which was kinda cool.

3 people like this

I'm a groomsman for my sister's wedding coming up in May this year. I've been acquainted with him for years but don't really know him intimately. I'm excited to see how it goes. Will be the first wedding at which I'm included in the reception except one when I was a little kid. She's been doing so much planning but seems to have a good handle on things! Due to our family's remote location from our relatives the majority of attendants will be from his side. Though two of my grandparents might be coming all the way from Germany! Impressive at their age. 

2 people like this

Congradulations! My older sister got married this past September, and I was the maid of honor. The prep work for the wedding was down right exhausting (my sister and I practically handmade everything except her dress and the cake), but well worth it! Their wedding day was a bit of a blur for me, but it was truely a magnificent event!

I meet my future brother in-law the same day my sister met him. They where too shy to talk, but my future brother in-law and I became quick friends. They courted with family chaperones. So, we all got to know each other early on.

3 people like this

My sister is the complete opposite of me. She is sweet, caring, beautiful, smart, not insane, funny and has a good head on her shoulders. Basically, she's the kind of girl that can get any guy she wants.

Yet despite all that, she keeps dating all these loser guys who are not marriage material at all. That is the one area that she does NOT have a good head on her shoulders on.....or about. I don't know, that last sentence didn't really make much sense, but whatever. The point is that she could have easily found a good guy and gotten married at age 10 if she wanted to. But no, she seems to have a cynical view on marriage and I don't think she is even thinking of marriage any time within the next 10 years and she is almost 26! She's just dating around without considering any real future with these guys. smh.

2 people like this

Congratulations! I have two half bros and two half sisters. I'm the youngest. My oldest brother has been married to his second wife for about two years now. I don't think they had a wedding. Although I remember my cousin got married. His wife's name is Dora. I was a kid, so I got her a stuffed Dora the explorer doll.

2 people like this