PG1

Meeting IRL

25 posts in this topic

So, I've been wondering this for a while. Then I thought, why not just ask? :) So, have a lot of you met outside of WTM.org? Facebook, skyping (or any variation), real life? Made friends? Maybe dated? Married? I know that one or two married couples met through this site, but what about any more? What about just friends?

I'm just curios. :) Any fun stories, best friends made, anything really.

So far I have only friended ONE person on facebook, but there are a couple of people that I think might be cool to be friends with outside of here. It's just that he's the only one I've gotten to know well enough to ask. Not to mention that not everyone has facebook. :)

10 people like this

Some of my closest friends were found in this site, even though I have never met most of them in person. You guys know who you are ;) I do chat and skype with a few members frequently. Thank God for the means to do so. It is really nice to interact with people across the country and the world who share the same values. I have also met a few members IRL and it was surreal, especially the first member I met. It felt strange meeting someone in person for the first time and feeling like I have known them forever.

And yes, so far we have at least 2 marriages between members that we know of and another on the way. Hopefully there will be many more to come. There are probably many dating couples here that we dont know about. lol

It would be so cool if we had a WTM convention one day. I would love to meet all of you in person :)

12 people like this

I want to skype with some at some point, but it's kind of like meeting in person... it makes me nervous, and then I start to think that my inner moron is going to show. :)

6 people like this

I've chatted with a couple people on Skype, but only on chat. But, I've become a little more busy lately, so I haven't been on in awhile. Though I would like to meet people, face to face scares me a little. :o

8 people like this

There are a couple people on here that I'd like to meet. Even the people in my state are really far away so I don't see it happening in the near future. :( Skype would be cool. I'd probably be really nervous though. I hate talking on the phone and end up sounding really hyper. I'd imagine video chat would be similar. :lol:

There are a couple people on here that I'd like to meet. Even the people in my state are really far away so I don't see it happening in the near future. :( Skype would be cool. I'd probably be really nervous though. I hate talking on the phone and end up sounding really hyper. I'd imagine video chat would be similar. :lol:

Me, too. I'd probably get really quiet, and then just get extremely loquacious. Like I said, my inner moron would, at some point, show up and make a mess of it. I'm hoping to work up the courage to actually do it at some point, though, because there are a couple of people I think it would be awesome to get to know like that.

5 people like this

I video-chatted with Vince and Jegs as part of one of the WTM podcasts, but other then that I haven't interacted with anyone here outside the site. I'd be open to adding people on Facebook, Skype, etc, though I can be a little protective of my secret identity.  :superwaiter: I second the idea of a convention.  :D I nominate Texas as the meeting point because I live there.

8 people like this

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I saw the page for peoples locations and the matchmaker button at the top. I was wondering if people actually use that, or if it's one of those things that's just there. Also where are these podcasts I keep reading about?

3 people like this

I think it would be cool to meet people in real life! I have talked to some on Skype although it wasn't with the video chat. I live all the way in Canada though so that would be a little difficult.

4 people like this

I video-chatted with Vince and Jegs as part of one of the WTM podcasts, but other then that I haven't interacted with anyone here outside the site. I'd be open to adding people on Facebook, Skype, etc, though I can be a little protective of my secret identity. :superwaiter: I second the idea of a convention. :D I nominate Texas as the meeting point because I live there.

Same here - I talked to Vince and Jegs in one of the podcasts but haven't talked to anyone else outside the site. I'm just super shy at making friends online, I always feel like I'll bother people if I send them messages :/ I think it would be pretty awesome to meet all youse guys IRL though! A WTM meetup/convention would be so cool, though it would probably be too far away for a New Zealander like me to attend...

4 people like this

I would love to meet people from here IRL! If I was based in the USA it would be much easier, but as it happens I live literally on the other side of the world :(. If there was ever a convention I would do everything I could to try and attend!

4 people like this

I have had the pleasure of meeting one person from this website in person. I sure would like to meet many more!

2 people like this

I want to skype with some at some point, but it's kind of like meeting in person... it makes me nervous, and then I start to think that my inner moron is going to show. :)

I would love to chat with you on Skype some time Libs! Send me a private message with your Skype screen name!

1 person likes this

Amazingly, this has seemingly become my most-frequented site, having stumbled across it just two weeks ago. I suppose that's testament to the affinity I feel with many of y'all (I get extra points for sentimentality, right?).
So, with regard to Facebook, Skype, et al., I'd only be too happy to chat with some fellow WTM members, down the line.  ^_^

All going well, I'm supposed to be heading over to another part of the world, this August, for a 'working holiday' (or should I say 'vacation'?). One of the WTM members briefly mentioned showing me around, given that he happens to live in the very same city (something that was completely unbeknownst to me).
It occurred to me that - whilst I hadn't originally entertained the idea of meeting someone off this site, in person - these opportunities don't typically present themselves all that often. Ergo, he must now realise that I'm intent on making sure he takes me on a guided tour (and, if he happens to read this comment at some point: he has been warned...).  :P

5 people like this

Also where are these podcasts I keep reading about?

They're in the Announcements and Feedback section. There are six of them.

YouTube links:

xxx

7 people like this

Some of my closest friends were found in this site, even though I have never met most of them in person. You guys know who you are ;) I do chat and skype with a few members frequently. Thank God for the means to do so. It is really nice to interact with people across the country and the world who share the same values. I have also met a few members IRL and it was surreal, especially the first member I met. It felt strange meeting someone in person for the first time and feeling like I have known them forever.

And yes, so far we have at least 2 marriages between members that we know of and another on the way. Hopefully there will be many more to come. There are probably many dating couples here that we dont know about. lol

It would be so cool if we had a WTM convention one day. I would love to meet all of you in person :)

If there is ever a convention, I'd hope to be able to come. :)

I would love to chat with you on Skype some time Libs! Send me a private message with your Skype screen name!

Maybe, sometimes, stephen. :) If I ever work up any courage to actually talk to anyone as anything more than chatting. I want to, but it takes a lot for me to get comfortable enough with someone to do that.

1 person likes this

I was kind of wondering the same thing. I saw the page for peoples locations and the matchmaker button at the top. I was wondering if people actually use that, or if it's one of those things that's just there. Also where are these podcasts I keep reading about?

They used to be weekly, but there hasn't been a new one in a while since no one could measure up to the last guest they had on the show.

6 people like this

They used to be weekly, but there hasn't been a new one in a while since no one could measure up to the last guest they had on the show.

Quite the contrary. It's because of the last guest that our show's ratings started to plummet. :P

Seriously though, we might do them again if enough people want it. We just kind of stopped because we figured six was a good run.

2 people like this

Quite the contrary. It's because of the last guest that our show's ratings started to plummet. :P

Seriously though, we might do them again if enough people want it. We just kind of stopped because we figured six was a good run.

Well, I'm trying to work up the courage to have a skype session with one or two people, and to do a video intro.... if I manage to do those, then I'll consider offering to be a guest. :)

4 people like this

Well, I'm trying to work up the courage to have a skype session with one or two people, and to do a video intro.... if I manage to do those, then I'll consider offering to be a guest. :)

You could try doing a voice intro first, just audio with no video. Then work your way up to doing a video intro after. Or make a video, but pull the audio and only submit that and see how the reactions go.

2 people like this

I would love to meet people from this site in real life! I like being able to actually see the people I am talking to which is why I liked the video introductions that some of you did (and I will be doing one soon once I get a chance). The meet up is not really practical with a lot of us so far away from each other, but I would be all for it! And hey if anyone comes to Michigan for some reason I'm down with meeting up :)

2 people like this

I think it would be a blast to meet up.

Although, my concern is with all the introverts in one room!  lol  It might be wise to set up some sort of organized function to get people involved and talking to each other. Like ice-breakers, games, and what not.  That would be a lot of fun.  Speed dating, lol!

5 people like this