PaulJustPaul

Your Avatar and Your Intentions

31 posts in this topic

It seems pretty evenly split: some people on this site have avatars which are pictures of themselves, while others have avatars of other images.

The question: Why do you choose the avatars you do? What is it you wish to convey to others with them?

If your avatar is of yourself, why did you choose to put yourself on display? And what leads you to pick specific pictures of yourself?

If your avatar is of another image, why do you choose the images you do - are they simply of interest to you, or do you feel it represents you better than a picture of yourself can?

I'm unsure which forum to post this in - I thought perhaps the relationship section, because I had a feeling much of our avatar selection is driven by how we hope others (perhaps potential romantic partners) perceive us.

1 person likes this

Mine is a random field out in Texas country. I picked it because I didn't want to use a picture I'd put up on Facebook (you can be doxxed that way), and it was pretty much the only picture I had easy access to that met that criteria at the time I made my account. I don't like looking at the generic 'silhouette' provided by the site, so I didn't feel inclined to wait until I could take a better picture. I wanted to use one of my own pictures because I feel weird using avatars from 3rd-party sources.

I never use pictures of my face as an avatar online. It's not so much because of privacy concerns, because the people who know me IRL are not likely to stumble across this site, and I haven't shared anything I'm ashamed of anyway. It's really because I'm probably the least photogenic person in history. I'm at least 20x more hideous in any of my photos than I am in real life, and it's depressing to look at.

2 people like this

I guess the simplest answer for mine is that I love being creative with my photography. Sometimes, especially when I don't have anything else to use, that means using myself as a subject. I want to let my creativity show and I want people to see that I have a playful side, even though it doesn't show that often. Sometimes I'll use a photo someone else took, just because I really like it. When I use an image that shows my face it's because I like the image (which doesn't happen often) and because I know it's nice to put a face with the personality... So, people get to have that on occasion.

1 person likes this

I felt Christmasy so I pit on my green (my favorite color) Santa hat and took a pic. Nothing to deep about it. I change my avatar depending on my mood, sometimes I don't feel like looking at myself so will change the picture.

4 people like this

Mine is Frederick the Great, I chose it because He was King of Prussia, which is where my family if from. Also because He was a general and I had an ancestor who fought under his command. 

2 people like this

I chose to use one of me because I want to share my smiles with everyone ;D Perhaps it can help people relate to me better.

Also, growing up, whenever I would join a website that had avatars I always used random images of things I liked (mostly animals of course) because my face was not one of them haha!

Now that I have become more confident I feel that there's no problem with putting it out there.

1 person likes this

When I first joined, I had a photobooth picture with my face. Then I changed it to a picture that I took of a beautiful place. I might put a picture with myself in here again someday, just haven't gotten around to it. I dont like close-ups very much, though..

1 person likes this

There's no special meaning to mine. Though it was to commemorate my first time shooting my AK47. I didn't get a chance to shoot it until 6 months after I bought it. Smh

4 people like this

Is it okay to answer my own question? :P

I wanted to put a picture of myself so people can get a sense of who I am. I want to convey a sort of openness by presenting a picture of myself.  I also hoped to convey who I am - a thoughtful person (a philosopher at my core) but one with a care for others. When we're discussing controversial topics, I will, in a mature and objective way, debate with others. But what I find is that people mistake that for not caring about others who disagree with me because I think little of their opinions. And I am a paradox in that sense - I care so deeply for others, and am very emotional, but when need be, I've learned to detach from my own emotions and discuss things rationally.

I also think the dreaming look conveys my abstract and poetic mind.

I wanted to convey all these things so I felt approachable. I like talking with people, empathizing with others, and I hope this display of openness and care lets people know that I will be there for them - I will tell anyone who wants to know (and sometimes when they don't want to know) that they are beautiful, that did something great, that they did something stupid... and people tend to appreciate it. I understand people, and people seem to like to be understood. If I can make someone's day by showing that I understand and care for them, I feel like I am doing what God calls me to do.

photo-thumb-40779.jpg?_r=1418178587

2 people like this

A few people asked me what I looked like. I figured rather than sending several emails with pictures, I should just attach a picture to my avatar. Eventually, I will go back to a picture of a guinea pig or space marine.

7 people like this

I chose a picture of myself because I think people can get a better "feel" for me that way. Also, I like to know what other people look like when I'm talking to them, so it makes sense for me to do the same. At the same time, I didn't want to pick a picture where you could see too much of my face, because, well, I'm a rather self-conscious person. (Of course that's totally not a valid excuse now that my face is all over podcast 4... Haha)

I chose this picture in particular because I think the composition is beautiful and it reflects my personality well. It was taken on a Belle Epoque boat (I'm obsessed with the Belle Epoque and the Titanic), while I was writing a pastiche of my favourite author, Victor Hugo, on the day of a Hellenic festival. So basically, all of my favourite interests and things that define me, combined into one picture with beautiful colours :)

2 people like this

Mine isn't really special in particular. When I first joined, I used an avatar if my favorite Street Fighter character (Ryu), but later decided to change to an actual picture of me. It doesn't hurt to put an actual face to a name after all lol.

3 people like this

Mine just makes me laugh. Also, like Steadfast, I didn't want to worry about doxing so didn't use a Facebook picture. I might change up my picture down the road.

1 person likes this

Great thought provoking questions, PaulJustPaul. 

I began on this site with a picture of myself.  The best picture I had.  And I got a lot of personal attention.  Now, I sometimes want to put my picture back, but I really like the anonymity my current picture gives.  And I feel my voice is a little louder without the distraction of people qualifying me for attractiveness.  And on the other hand, a picture could have just captured a certain essence of me.  What if it is not entirely encompassing of who I am?  I wouldn't want anyone to be disappointed. 

I like how others have chosen pictures of themselves, and I prefer to see what people look like.  I think that I have been on this site so long now and have revealed so much about myself that I prefer to only let people I communicate with directly to have access to my picture.  Maybe I could compromise with an ambiguous picture of myself as I see others have done. 

Lastly, the reason I chose a star as my picture was unknown to me at the time I chose it besides its unique beauty and complexity.  But now, the picture remains because I feel it represents the light that I have which illuminates from within.  Its unique. Not everyone recognizes it.  But it burns bright. 

4 people like this

Well, I've changed my avatar quite a bit since being here. I tend to get antsy and want a change of pace. But I've had this one for a while. It's me but it's not your usual pose. I was being silly and I think it shows my true essence. I am a goofy person who is also a heavy thinker, hence the pose. And yes, that is an orange. 

I'm not afraid to show my face on this site. Maybe I should be more careful. I once tried to use a pic of something else so I wouldn't get attention for the wrong reasons but I felt like I was hiding and I didn't like it so I went back to my own picture. 

5 people like this

A few people asked me what I looked like. I figured rather than sending several emails with pictures, I should just attach a picture to my avatar. Eventually, I will go back to a picture of a guinea pig or space marine.

OH my gosh..... I just realized who you were after you said guinea pig........ :blush: I was like who's the new kid. I looked at your name and said similar name? Then you said guinea pig and my mind clicked haha. I feel terrible. I'm sorry.

2 people like this

Ummmmm I'm adorable why not? Lol but in all seriousness..... I put this picture up because I sent it to someone and they liked it and I loved it. I like my smile and eyes in it.

Edit: plus I'm a gentle sweetheart and I think it shows in the picture.... you know you can see it! :P

6 people like this

I’m still working on my secret potion that will make me invisible :). I hate being photographed and though I think I look “tolerable†I could never be comfortable with the fact that people are looking at me, even if it’s a photograph.

The picture I chose (by one of my favourite artists), is a place I run to when I need to keep my sanity. I just step into paintings like this one when I’m drained after (usually) two or three hours of interaction with the rest of the world. This picture is my Utopia. 

3 people like this

The avatar you're looking at... that's me in the flesh.  That's how I look like.

* Why do I use a photo of myself? It's for fellow wtm people to know and see how I look like.  There is also no hidden agenda behind my profile picture ~ like seeking attention or whats'o'ever.  

* What leads to a specific picture?  There is no specific picture.  Change my picture once a year (or maybe twice)

Also I shall never forget Mark's first question when we chatted in the chatroom :)

6 people like this

This is a great question Paul! Thanks for posting it! :D

My profile picture will change with my mood, I have used both pictures of myself and other pictures of things that I like and make me happy.

Right now my profile picture is of myself, the reason being is I would like to protray what I am like in real life and have a warm face for people to associate with my words :) I do believe the picture can show my bubbly, friendly, positive personality ^_^

I hope this answers your question :D

Artsy out!

7 people like this

I enjoy this sorta question. It can reveal a lot about a person. :)

I suppose the narcissistic element of my personality wants to look at itself, even in the absence of a reflective surface. Ergo, I present yours truly.

In all seriousness, though, I didn't wanna give too much away. I don't think I look much like my typically outwardly-portrayed self, in this picture; but I reckon it captures my slightly mischievous and playful side pretty well.

I'm frequently told that I'm 'mysterious'; something I consider to be a huge compliment, each and every time. I've found that, typically, those who are curious to find out more are just as intriguing, not least because they are often thinkers.

So, simply put, while I understand that a lot of people wanna put a face to the name, there's a heckuva lot more that goes with it... :)

2 people like this

I can't use a real photo because my wife and I are choosing to remain anon at this time. I used the Miata because it's something I love and I mean look at that picture, it has to make you smile! I also have a Miata picture for the image on my corresponding anon twitter account so it seemed fitting.

4 people like this

I didn't use a picture of myself because I want to remain anonymous and I used a picture of Adriana Lima because she's my favorite celebrity waiter.  I call her my "spirit waiter!"  B)  :lol:

5 people like this