Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Marlene

Waiting till marriage and Atheism

3 posts in this topic

So I have about three friends who are atheist like I am. The other day we were talking when suddenly we started talking about waiting until marriage. Of course they thought it was stupid. I tried to defend waiting until marriage and how you don't necessarily have to be religious to believe in this but they still thought it was stupid. I want to wait until marriage but I know it will be harder for me to find an atheist who will wait. It's not that I have anything against marrying a religious person it's just that I know they would want to marry someone who loves God as much as they do and I don't even believe in a God. I know I'm not the only atheist who waits until marriage but I've never met one in person. I guess this is mostly directed to other atheists. How has your experience been so far? Have you found anyone who respects your decision and how hard was it to find him/her? I wasn't planning on writing this topic but I thought I would because maybe there's another atheist out there who will read this and not feel so lonely

4 people like this

I'm religious, but I married an atheist. He's asleep right  now, so you'll have to wait for him to respond. :)

4 people like this

Well, like my title says, I'm an atheist too.  :) My experience has been...way easier than I ever could've imagined. I started dating my boyfriend at the age of 16 in high school; we've been together 5 years so far. He's an atheist as well. Although waiting was not a value he felt passionately about, he was willing to wait as long as I needed him too, and that was all that mattered to me. We didn't wait all the way until legal marriage for a variety of reasons, so our wait was a little over 3 years. I have no regrets, and feel very confident that I've found myself a partner for life.  ^_^

5 people like this