Frelsun

Non-Fundamentalist Religions and Chastity

6 posts in this topic

I have an issue with fundamentalist religions, those that say their religion is the only way to heaven and everyone else goes to hell, but I support waiting until marriage, so I am wondering if yout think religions that promote religious tolerance (i.e. people from other faiths can find salvation) also tend to promote chastity as much as fundamentalist religions do.

1 person likes this

Hmm. I don't really have the background to comment on this one, just observation. Of all the people I knew that were part of more "religiously tolerant" belief systems, they were generally pretty tolerant of everything else also and didn't have the conviction it seems to take in this day an age to promote/believe in chastity. Their religions may have said it was a good thing, but then pretty much not expect anyone to really adhere to it.

3 people like this

Not all Christians believe that premarital sex is a sin. I would posit that more tolerant Christian denominations would be more likely not to think premarital sex is a sin, but I don't have any specific experience to support that theory.

Yes, Judaism is one example of this. Hell does not exist in Judaism, and anyone that follows the basic Seven Laws of Noah (specific faith or lack thereof is not required) is considered worthy of heaven. Not all Jews put an emphasis on chasity, but many do. The Orthodox are not supposed to shake hands with the opposite sex, unless they are related by blood or marriage.

As far as I have heard, Dharmic religions do not emphasize on such exclusivities.

I do not know about all religions and what they do, if you are looking for a religion to join that is not fundamental Christians to have somewhere to go to pray to be amongst people who believe in chastity. Maybe if that's why you asked, you should study the different religions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chastity. I myself believe in Christianity but my views on it are radical from what others believe if you are interested you can PM me for more information, I won't go into too much detail out of fear of insulting anyone who has fundamentalist beliefs.