PG1

Going to church...

24 posts in this topic

For those of you that are Christians. Do you attend church on a regular basis? Just a few times a year? Not at all? Does it vary?

Men, if you meet a woman who claims to be Christian, but doesn't attend regularly (for whatever reason), do you reject her based on that? Or do you see how she acts, talks, etc, before deciding?

Women, what are your feelings on this?

What is your outlook on attending church, in general?

If you practice a specific faith, what is it? Do you feel it necessary to practice the same faith as a potential mate? Or is it just important that she be Christian? Or, do you not care at all?

If you don't attend regularly, do you want to? Do you want to go with your spouse if you marry?

I am not sure this covers it all, but if you want to add, please do.

1 person likes this

I am a Catholic. I go to church every Sunday, as well as all Holy days.

It is important to me that my wife has the same religious beliefs.

8 people like this

I go to church most Sundays.  I would be very happy if I had a husband who attended with me.  Therefore, I would be looking to date someone who attends church.  Now those are some slim pickin's! 

8 people like this

I go to mass every weekend, on holy days of obligation, and a few extras. I try to pray the Rosary everyday, and I bless my food before every meal. Being Catholic is a big part of who I am and I want to be able to share this with my future husband.

For those of you that are Christians. Do you attend church on a regular basis? Just a few times a year? Not at all? Does it vary?

I'm pretty regular when it comes to church.  Service is attended every Sunday, in addition to other things like serving ministries, bible study, Sunday School, and the like.

Men, if you meet a woman who claims to be Christian, but doesn't attend regularly (for whatever reason), do you reject her based on that? Or do you see how she acts, talks, etc, before deciding?

Honestly, it's a combination of both.  I do think being faithful to the church that you belong to is very important, and at the very LEAST you should be attending regularly on a Sunday.  I also think it's important to contribute in a ministry and do a little more than just Sunday morning.  That said, I don't believe that you have to be in church every time the doors fly open lol, just find a ministry you thrive in and stick with it.

Observing someone's lifestyle outside of church is also a big deal, because it's very easy to say all the right words and cliches at church, but their character is what you have to really watch for. 

"Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car. However, that's where a lot of the work on the car is done to restore it, if you allow it to happen.  All the stuff outside the garage breaks it down."

If you practice a specific faith, what is it? Do you feel it necessary to practice the same faith as a potential mate? Or is it just important that she be Christian? Or, do you not care at all?

For me, the other person would have to be a Christian, no questions asked.  If God is the most important thing in my life and we don't have that in common, how can I even consider that in a potential mate?

12 people like this

I attend church every Saturday unless I am sick or there's real bad weather.

I think it is important that the person I marry (if I marry :)) understands and respects my beliefs and helps me grow spiritually. This would be possible only if he held similar values. However, if God wants me to be the light to an unbeliever I am willing to accept His calling for me.

5 people like this

Even though I'm not Christian, Im Agnostic, I like going to church. I like to see what people have to say, I like the atmosphere, I would appreciate if a future wife would go with me, but it's not required at all.

7 people like this

For those that don't know I'm a very active self professing disciple of Christ Jesus.

I actually studied theology (it's my minor) and my heart is in and with God's holy church, his beautiful bride.

Number one

Do you attend church on a regular basis?

Yes, I make a point and move my at times very busy schedule around to attend at least 48 weekends out of the year.

And catch the ones I miss online.

I serve with a ministry team at my church and enjoy what I do immensely.

Number two

Men, if you meet a woman who claims to be Christian, but doesn't attend regularly (for whatever reason), do you reject her based on that?

I'd like to say I would not "reject" her based solely on one aspect of her choices.

But this verse comes to mind,

2Cor 6v.14 about pairing up with those who are "unequally yoked".

That in a more practical sense of the saying, we'd be pulling in differing directions.

I've always had hope to continue down the pathway towards becoming a Deacon in the church.

And by the way just saying, it'd be awesome if my wife was a Deaconess.

I kinda wanna grow old and be the 'old couple' sitting at the service each Sunday, holding hands

Of course I'd also look at her character and personality, because being a "church guy" I see this and it's sad to say.

And I know my church people will agree with this as you all see similar in your faith communities.

It's this, the folks who attend, maybe not each week for instance or some yes each week.

But that come and then go outside and do the things we're called as people of God not to do.

And live in it, not realizing or maybe just living with "world".

There's a huge difference between sinning and living in that sin.

Like for example mud, sometimes we'll walk through it and get a little dirty.

But what if you laid down into that mudpit and rolled around.

5 people like this

First it is important to understand what "the church" is and what it is not. The Greek word for "church" is ekklesia which means "an assembly" or "the called-out ones." We often make the mistake of defining a church as a specific place or building when that is not the case at all. Paul writes in Romans 15:6, "Greet also the church that meets at their house." He refers to the church as a body of believers in contrast to the house which is the place they happened to assemble at. We see in the Acts 2:46, "Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts," In the days of the Early Church, there was no designated building to go to church. They usually met in various places such as people's homes. In verse 42 of the same chapter, it describes the function of church as "They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." The purpose of church is to worship together with other fellow believers. So while we are not required to worship at a specific building, we are commanded to meet up as believers and worship in some form or another in Hebrews 10:24-25.

So I do expect my future wife to have at least the desire to go to church. It doesn't have to be a designated building, just setting aside the time to meet up with other Christians and worshiping. It is essential for spiritual growth and I do require her to be a fellow Christian who is actively seeking to strengthen her faith.

13 people like this

Wow! Great question Libbs!!!

I will answer them the best I can :)

-I am a Christian woman, and my faith is a huge part of what makes me me. Because of my weird life style( living in one area for half the year then an other for the other half) I can't always attend church. I didn't attend church for years, but my friend and I go to church every Sunday that we can now. I also volunteer and help with a bible study group for children( called AWANAS) and go to a bible study as well ^_^

-If this man didn't attend, I would acquire why, maybe he had bad pass experiences that detour him in wanting to go. Sadly that was the reason I didn't go to church for years, so I would understand. I really like what Vince pointed out about church not just being a building to praise The Lord, but that it is when people gather to praise, worship and rejoice The Lord even in a home all together!

As long as the man that the question is about is a true follower of Jesus, then I would be very pleased :) this also means how he acts and behaves to people and how he lives his life. Sadly there are people who go to church but the rest of their life they do not pursue a life of righteousness. If that makes sense, hahaha.

-I do not think true Christian people who do not attend church are bad, as long as you study, talk about, and have fellowship with other Christians in The Lord to grow spiritually stronger in your faith and serving The Lord God Almighty, then you are doing something very proactive and good for God's glory ^_^ attending church is wonderful as well for all the same reasons. The only thing I do not like about the people in church is their clickie-ness that can happen and push people away when their arms should be wide open and inviting.

- I attend an Evangelical church so I guess that makes me an Evangelist? I'm not sure, haha.

I have dated non-Christian men and Christian men that are not strong in their faith, and now have learnt that my husband needs to be a man of The Lord. The same belief and desire to want to know more and follow Jesus. With something this important and what makes me who I am, I can not see me marrying a non-believing man. It wouldn't be true love because he wouldn't love all of me. You can not just pick and choose what you love about someone and say you love them right?

Plus, I think it would be so cute and wonderful to go to church hand in hand listening to the sermon with my best friend and love, sigh... ^_^

8 people like this

Yes. Pretty much every Sunday.

If you meet a man who claims to be Christian, but doesn't attend regularly (for whatever reason), do you reject her based on that? Or do you see how she acts, talks, etc, before deciding?

No. In fact, my husband didn't go to church at all. I decided to date him when he proved to be genuinely interested in discussing religion. It helped that he was wrestling with the issue of the origin of morality too.

It's extremely mixed. My father's a pastor and that's colored my view of the church pretty darkly. 

I understand the function of church, especially ones that are more than, say, three people. But it's also been a gathering of the most hurtful, judgmental, and narrow-minded people I have ever had the misfortune of meeting.

So while I go to church regularly, I completely understand why people run for the hills at an invitation to church.

I'm christian. Anyone can tell me "what you did was not in line with Jesus' teachings" and I would consider it seriously (unfortunately, it was also a vehicle for emotional abuse several times in my life).

My life is meant to be lived like Jesus. It would be difficult to justify my moral code with a higher power my spouse doesn't believe have any authority or is even real. This problem will manifest in child-rearing, money (offering/tithes) and fundamental beliefs of the purpose, life and nature of a human being.

So yes, it's pretty damn important he's a Christian. Or at least agree with the principles of Christianity.

2 people like this

This is my first post to WTM, so I hope I do it justice.

Yes, every week I attend church.

If you meet a man who claims to be Christian, but doesn't attend regularly (for whatever reason), do you reject her based on that? Or do you see how she acts, talks, etc, before deciding?

One thing I've learned from experiences with those who claim to be Christians, but don't attend church is to invite them on a regular basis. If they are willing and excited to go, take them with you. But if they are not, I believe that would be a sign towards that fact that they aren't interested in my commitment to God, which is something that is very important to me. I would prefer someone who understands and appreciates how major church is in my life, and be able to relate to me in that way.

I love church, there have been many times I would have never believed I'd be typing that, but I do. In the days where I didn't like church I genuinely don't believe that my faith in God dwindled. But, my actions and keeping myself accountable did. Having a church (a community of people in the way I'm talking about it) is so needed for keeping success in your walk with God. With that being said, I understand completely why so many people reject church. But I think everyone has a church home they could happily belong to if their faith in God is strong enough. I would never not attend.

If you practice a specific faith, what is it? Do you feel it necessary to practice the same faith as a potential mate? Or is it just important that she be Christian? Or, do you not care?

I'm actually at an interesting crossroad with this question. Because I know God will supply me with a man that meets all my needs in his eyes. And I don't want to seem unwilling to let men into my life because of standards that may or may not be helpful in finding a lifelong mate. There are certain convictions that I will not compromise on, and I know those. So I suppose there are certain things that abide mostly in my religion that I wouldn't compromise on. I would never date a man again that doesn't love God, if he doesn't love God he can't love me the way I need to be loved.

2 people like this

First it is important to understand what "the church" is and what it is not. The Greek word for "church" is ekklesia which means "an assembly" or "the called-out ones." We often make the mistake of defining a church as a specific place or building when that is not the case at all. Paul writes in Romans 15:6, "Greet also the church that meets at their house." He refers to the church as a body of believers in contrast to the house which is the place they happened to assemble at. We see in the Acts 2:46, "Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts," In the days of the Early Church, there was no designated building to go to church. They usually met in various places such as people's homes. In verse 42 of the same chapter, it describes the function of church as "They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer." The purpose of church is to worship together with other fellow believers. So while we are not required to worship at a specific building, we are commanded to meet up as believers and worship in some form or another in Hebrews 10:24-25.

So I do expect my future wife to have at least the desire to go to church. It doesn't have to be a designated building, just setting aside the time to meet up with other Christians and worshiping. It is essential for spiritual growth and I do require her to be a fellow Christian who is actively seeking to strengthen her faith.

Wow nice thoughts I. I never thought of church like that.

1 person likes this

Generally quite regularly. However as I don't really have a peer friendgroup at Church my motive is more to accompany my mother to the service. So if she can't make it I'm less likely to attend....

I certainly wouldn't reject her on that basis. This question feeds a bit into the next one. Generally what I'd be looking to find out is why she isn't attending regularly. While I consider fellowship generally a positive element this doesn't have to occur in the "Church". Thus I'd be particularly interested how she spends the holy-day. Does she treat it with special reverence, created for recuperation and spiritual enrichment? Or is it the day she spends languishing in bed watching secular movies and playing videogames?

I think attending Church can be good and bad. If its a toxic environment then sure its bad. But I see it as also bad if it is treated as all that is required for proper spiritual health. Also if Church is attended in the spirit of following the Church or following the Pastor or the Elder then I'd see that as a negative. We shouldn't follow these things or people - we should follow the Bible, not some individual or institution that claims to be following the Bible! Thus I generally (and informed by my legal studies) greatly dislike the corporate structure of institutionalised Churches. The Church of God is not a corporation or a building/location! You don't have to be a member of the Church to be saved!

Do you feel it necessary to practice the same faith as a potential mate?

Absolutely. I would not consider someone of a different faith as a suitable (or permissible) partner. Specifically, they would have to have a sufficiently similar faith sufficient to share my "denomination" - merely being a Christian would be insufficient. If they drifted from the faith that wouldn't be a reason to divorce them but as for selection purposes I consider it a dealbreaker. 

1) yes i do attend Church on a regular basis, at least every sundays, then during the week for bible study and prayer meeting. I believe that it's a privilege for me to go to Church freely whereas other brothers & sisters in various part of the world must hide themselves to meet in jesus's name.

2) i am a new member on this wtm website and i'm a Young woman, so the 2nd question is not 4 me i suppose.

3) attending Church is a way to keep your faith pure and thus, to please God (for without faith it is impossible to please God). In addition attending Church isn't benefic only for you, but it encourages others as well.

4) it is definitely necessary for both to practice the same faith, if not ther will be no space a healthy couple communication.

god bless you all

ok, i want everyone to understand first, there is a *big* difference between being "religious" and being "spiritual"

although i have never been religious, i have seen the whole atmosphere, so i have some insight on this side, my parents are religious, and i have been (forced) to go to church as a kid since i remember. later in life I found Jesus, and I consider myself spiritual, NOT religious.

if one is religious, then yes, church is a big, if not the biggest, aspect of being a Christian, as that church (or denomination ) is pretty much what you follow, in terms of doctrine/ rituals/ beliefs, etc. this is why religious people tend to marry within the church. Say a Roman Catholic were to marry a Mormon; there would be ALL KINDS of doctrinal confusion between the two of them so it would be very difficult for things to work out.

now; if one is spiritual (like me) it’s a whole different story. take my life for example. ive been going to church for years, and never got anything out of it, I lived the same sinful life every day, but Sunday I'd go to church. now years later (around the age of 16) I was given the opportunity to seek Jesus for real, and my life has been completely changed up to now, (20 now) I was able to do things I never even imagined possible; now that’s another story which is much longer, and I don’t want to go into detail, but the point being, I was able to do all that without following religion. now I don’t go to church, but my faith has never been stronger at any point of my life.  so to me, as being a spiritually strong individual, it is not important for a girl to go to church, rather to have a very strong personal relation with Jesus, and follows God himself.

you see, the problem with modern day church today, is that we have missed the meaning of church. biblically church is a gathering of Christians, and I do that all the time when I meet for fellowship with other Christians, but I'm sure that that’s not what you mean when you say church, you're more referring to the denomination. well, for one who follows their denomination, it is better for that individual to marry within it, the turith is, we are all lead by one book, weather orthodox, catholic, Pentecostal, Baptist, Methodist, Lutheran, non-denominational, whatever, so that is the book that I follow. the way I see it, ALL denominations have flaw, there is no perfect denomination, that’s why "going to church" isn't important to me, what's import is following Jesus himself, continuing to grow spiritually, being obedient to God, and serving him. Im looking for a Girl who does the same.

I just started going to Church again after more than a decade of not doing so. I lost my faith many years ago when I couldn't find the right woman in my life. Last year after an incident, I started praying every night and I started going back to Church on Sundays since February. Every now and then I go to a mass on weekdays. There's so much to discover. My father is a theologist and a walking encyclopedia which I'm learning a lot from. I like science a lot and I do think science and religion can be friends.

Is it important that my future wife is religious? To me it is, and the truth is, I prefer her to be Catholic. I think couples of different religions can eventually have problems of how are Sundays and religious holidays are going to be spent and how a child is going to be raised. And those who don't want to have those problems, they just drop the religion altogether, so it is important to me to have a Catholic wife.

1 person likes this

If you don't attend regularly, do you want to? Do you want to go with your spouse if you marry?

I am not sure this covers it all, but if you want to add, please do.

Do you attend church on a regular basis? Just a few times a year? Not at all? Does it vary? No. I don't attend services but I do help with the food pantry and volunteer. That's once or twice a month.

Women, what are your feelings on this? I don't care if a man attends church or not. I won't reject him if he doesn't attend church.

What is your outlook on attending church, in general? I was force to as a kid, I hated it. I hated Sunday school, sitting through service, and waking up early for service. As I've gotten older churches are nothing but a business to me.

If you practice a specific faith, what is it? Do you feel it necessary to practice the same faith as a potential mate? Or is it just important that she be Christian? Or, do you not care at all? I'm a very opened minded person. I don't really practice a specific faith,I do believe there is a God just not what people make him/her out to be. I'm willing to open up my mind and learn about all faiths. I don't know if I'll convert or practice his faith but I'm willing to research and educate myself.

If you don't attend regularly, do you want to? Do you want to go with your spouse if you marry? No. I'm never attending services again. If my spouse wants to attend services he's going alone.

that agood decision to go back to Church . keep your mind on God at all times.

God bless u

Though I appreciate your thought. It doesn't really address my OT.

The Original Topic. I asked specific questions about personal feeling of individuals. I wasn't asking about what anyone thought of me, personally. I'd be happy to hear your answers to my questions about yourself, and how you feel about the things I asked, though.

Though I appreciate your thought. It doesn't really address my OT.

I just started going to Church

hello PhotoGirl,

this was a response i was giving to Octavio when he said that he recently started going back to Church.

However, i did answer your questions in my 1st post on the 8th march, and when I said that "attending Church is a way to keep your faith pure and thus, to please God (for without faith it is impossible to please God). In addition attending Church isn't benefic only for you, but it encourages others as well."

I was talking in general, concerning one's life.

It's only now i'm handling this quote thing.

God bless u

I apologize if I misunderstood something.

1 person likes this