PG1

Higher education...

40 posts in this topic

haha I'm not sure it works that way.  It's more like feel free to take her out to a nice restaurant, and wine and dine her first.

Heh Stacie, I'm suddenly reminded of a quote from a cheesy B movie I recently watched. "Baby let's skip dinner and go right to desert!" ;)

I agree. Higher paying jobs definitely add to quality of life. 

Just to add to the conversation, I am college educated now but I had LOTS of minimum wage jobs prior.  Those skills I learned working benefit me now in all my endeavors.  I learned life skills at those jobs.  I didn't learn those in college.  But I did apply them to college and they made me a better college student.

Sadly the only thing I learned from my minimum wage job was how to avoid getting caught texting in the broom closet.  :P

To add to what I said before about requiring an education..

Besides wanting it for the money being added to life, id also like her to have a college education because, in general, people who are smarter expand their education.

While I don't consider myself especially smart, I do enjoy smart people.

2 people like this

Totally agree with Amarillo.
My girlfriend is an artist, doesn't have a degree but I know she is smart and that she could do it if she wanted to. I have a degree in engineering so I know those girls who study at the university are no better than other girls. They just had to waste many days and nights to look up information and memorize stuff they will never need. 

For me that is one of the last things I would pay attention to.

2 people like this

It’s not important at all. I’d actually prefer it if she didn’t have one I think.

1 person likes this

Oh, I forgot to include the “why?†You asked about that, too. I see it kind of like this in terms of greater future and past likelihoods, respectively:

Degree à Professional job à Daycare and later government school for the kids and wife competing with me career-wise.

Degree à University experience à Sexual promiscuity and hook-up culture participation

Again, I’m talking likelihoods. If she were chaste with a degree and wanted to stay home with the kids, then that would be fine. In fact, in that case, a degree might even help if we were to homeschool our kids, but we’d find a way without one, and I already have a degree, anyway.

1 person likes this

Tricky. Firstly, I am hesitant to judge someone's intelligence or smarts by official certification. Plenty of really intelligent people who failed at school or they might have been too poor to afford it. Different people learn differently. That being said it can be a useful indicator and hopefully not resulted in indoctrination. Knowledge learnt in a degree could very well serve to enrich our lives together. I greatly value intelligence in my future partner. I am a rather intellectual person and would enjoy being able to maintain a philosophical debate with the person I am to spend the rest of my life with....I value intelectual curiosity and look for this in a potential partner BUT I believe I need a balance to my intellectual tendency. If we will have kids (I'm thinking likely) I highly prefer them to be homeschooled. Which means that at least one of us will be a stay at home parent, likely my wife. In that regard I value homemaking traits over being corporate career driven - not that this equates with possessing a degree but i think you get my idea. I would be interested in knowing why she didn't seek higher education, if that is the case. 

As a little side, this touches on a happening in my family. My sister who attained a degree at university will soon be wedding a man whose income level means that it would hardly be worth it (tax wise) for her to earn a living herself. My mother is not exactly ecstatic at the idea that after spending good money for my sister's degree that she will quite likely not make full use of it. I see the value in education of broadening the mind and providing the opportunity to develop certain skills and disciplines and creating the potential for a better quality of life. While some might consider it a waste to provide education that will not be used explicitly, one never really knows how life will turn out.

2 people like this

So a degree was unattractive in one post and helpful in the next? That's confusing for the women on here. Hahaha :P

This might be a mind bender for some, but the highest completed grade is around 4th/5th. I went to a private Christian school from K to 2nd, but parents couldn’t afford it any more, and since mom didn’t want me in a public school, she opted to try to home school me. Yeah, that worked out really well I would later find out.

Turned out I hated school and school work. I can remember in second grade I was out reading every one else and quickly becoming bored. As a home schooler I preferred to curl up and read mystery novels for hours. Since I had a vivid imagination I would envision myself right along with the Hardy Boys on their adventures.

Somewhere along the way I discovered I liked gardening, so for several years I grew a huge garden or mini farm as I called it, seeing as how I wanted to be a farmer around that time. Maybe we can pretend that counted for a school project of sorts! :) I also discovered I had an entrepreneurial spirit and have been involved in many ventures since age 14. Since I cultivated several streams of income, it allowed me to pay off my home and be debt free/semi retired by age 37.

All of that to say I don’t have a high school diploma, nor a GED, much less any other higher education degrees. Interestingly when I tell people this, they’re shocked and assume I have at least some college experience. Apparently I come across as educated?! LOL! Although I am self taught in a few subjects. I’ve learned business, automotive/mechanics, welding, electrical, plumbing, cooking, etc. I love to tinker, and make things that make life easier. And I continue to learn, always soaking up knowledge.

Do I have some regrets? Sure. But not enough to do anything about them. Perhaps the biggest regret I have is not having the social dynamic of being around people so I could learn how to be social and relate to people. As it is, I am socially inept, but working on it. Sure, I went to church and youth group, but that’s a few hours a week. Not every day like school.

To finally answer the question at hand, I can go either way with her having, or not having a college education. I’ve noticed some of the most brilliant minds didn’t go to college. I have to wonder if in part some schools stifle true learning.

Now if my wife possessed some nurse, physical therapy and massage skills, I would be set! I am forever injuring myself in some way.

1 person likes this

Education only means you've "proven" yourself to have a certain amount of intelligence, it doesn't mean you are intelligent or unintelligent. Also, failing out of college doesn't mean much either since college is pretty much about trying to stress you out with a lot of different subjects.

Well, some people can't get through it because they are lazy and undisciplined.

Anyway, as long as the person has a good home education I'd say that's enough. And by home education I don't mean "home schooled" I mean, "knows how to cook and clean," "knows to save electricity," and "knows how to raise children."

But... if they are educated like say "a doctor" or something that earns more money than me then I'll be the one with the home education. It really doesn't matter either way.

Education is a tool, not  a sign of the kind of person you are or how good you are. Also, most college degrees now a days is gibberish.

Lastly, getting into Harvard or Yale isn't about the education. It's about getting connections. A lot of people (rich people) get their kids in there through legacies and through other means. When you go to Harvard or Yale without legacy, you've basically proven that you're competent and are a hard worker (because it's really hard work to make yourself look good for the recruiter) and your reward is basically to hob knob with royalty, consider the fact that your roommate could possibly be the next president.

Anyone who graduates from Harvard or Yale and doesn't have a job is basicallly a failure at life because they don't understand the true benefit of going to those schools. The dumbest smart people go to harvard and yale.

I know I'm really late to this discussion but I still want to put my 2 cents in.

How important is it, to you, that your gf/wife have a college degree?

To be quite honest, if you had asked me 10 years ago how important it was I would have said she MUST have a degree. But seeing as how I myself don't have a degree (yet), I really don't see an issue with it. I've worked for the same company for 9 years as a produce manager and although it's not my dream job, it's a really good job to have and pays the bills relatively easily. I make good money for what I do and I'm really thankful to have this job. Prior to me working here I had this misconception that people who didn't have degrees all worked paycheck to paycheck and lived relatively 'hard' lives. Not the case at all. My boss has a great house and a great family, as do many others where I work and NONE of them have degrees. They simply work hard and do their best. Working here has helped me greatly in shaping my work ethic and verbal skills, as well as learning to deal with people that are irate/irrational all the time. I'm still going to school in the hopes of becoming a doctor and all my experience here have been invaluable in helping me deal with other situations later in life. I think as long as she has a job that she enjoys doing and makes her happy I'm happy for her. Working as long as I have for the same company only proves that happiness is a big factor in wanting to stay there.

Do you feel that it is VERY important to show that she is intelligent, and feel that formal education is how you get that way? Or, do you feel that it's not so important, but it's ok, and that you can be intelligent and show it without a formal education?

I don't think having a degree is indicative at all of a person's intelligence. You could be the smartest person in the world and not have any people skills, which happens a lot actually in the medical field. I think there are varying degrees of intelligence in people; most of which come from worldly experiences and trial and error. All a degree shows is that someone studied for 4 years and left, most likely, with a lot of student debt. I think intelligence comes from an innate desire to want to learn/know more about anything and everything. Although for me college is a must for the profession that I want to go in, I've also spent many years experiencing and learning life from other cultures and societies. For the last 5 or 6 years I've made it a point to travel and explore my own thought and views on things like success and happiness and nowhere in there does education play the 'lead' role. It's more of a supporting character.

Really just any thoughts on how important it is for your gf/wife to have a degree... and maybe why?

I believe I can be absolutely happy with a woman who had a degree, just like I could be absolutely happy with a woman who didn't. A degree doesn't guarantee a person anything, not even a job. Why do you think there are so many students who graduate college and spend the first 6 months searching? I think as long as she was happy and had a plan for her life in regards to finances I'd be pretty content. And if years later she had a desire to go back and get a degree I would support her, but it would have to be her decision and not because she wanted to make me happy. I think people place too much emphasis on higher education when much of this country was founded on blue-collar jobs. At what point did it become ok to look down on someone for not having a degree or not wearing a suit to work?

I value certain qualities over formal education (albeit not mutually exclusive): independent thinking, open mindedness, desire to learn, and diligence in self education.

A diploma is not important to me, though it is statistically likely I will end up with someone who has a college degree. One cannot assume that just because someone doesn't have a degree currently, that they are uneducated, unintelligent, won't have one a decade from now, or don't have a decent income.

I prefer an intellectual, scholarly, and high-minded man. This is more of a self-created type than a product of the education industry. One only need access to the internet to be learned.

Edited by redgrapes
8 people like this

Not all people have the ability to go through college but if they are working towards achieving an important goal like raising a family, rising in rank or job status, or progressing as an artist or activist, then that is also as worthwhile and valid. An education offers more stability and opportunities and could be more helpful to achieve different endeavors.

Ohh wow what a great question! I can’t wait to answer. I feel like I could write a book on how screwed up some of the higher level, American educational system has become and worst of all, how they are accredited.

On 12/14/2014 at 9:35 PM, PhotoGirl said:

How important is it, to you, that your gf/wife have a college degree?

Answer- ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Why? Her inward qualities, happiness, and success are infinitely more important than a degree.

On 12/14/2014 at 9:35 PM, PhotoGirl said:

Do you feel that it is VERY important to show that she is intelligent, and feel that formal education is how you get that way?

Answer- No, it is not important to SHOW that she is intelligent. I care if she IS intelligent, not what she can show.

Why? Intellectually, I am on the slower side and in an academic setting I have to work much harder than your average student. So where I am week, I would like her to be strong, if possible…and if we ever have kids, lol yeah they need to have better odds lol. So hopefully if I ever get married or find a gf, she is way more intelligent than me…lol which is not too difficult to do :P If not, then no big deal b\c she will have other great inward qualities.

If her only concern is to show her intelligence and nothing more, I would say definitely do not consider any higher level education. Instead take all that money you would spend on getting that one piece of paper and donate it to people who are in serious need. I’d much rather her take an IQ test, frame it, and put it up somewhere.  

Here’s my story and two cents on Higher level education.

I wasted a lot of time and tens of thousands of dollars to get a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration. It got me dead end jobs, very high stress levels, with very low pay, making other people wealthy, and working 60+ hrs a week…

I ended up doing a career change into the health care industry and it cost me one fifth of what I paid to get my degree. In 1.5 years I completed the program, got a certificate…NOT a degree or even an associates (definitely not a formal education) and passed all my board exams. Now I help kids in need, work 3 days a week or 36hrs, have no stress, and my income has more than doubled…I feel pretty stupid when looking back at my degree…So a whole lot of good my degree did. I would definitely encourage her to be very careful when making that commitment.... Things are a lot different today...education is way more expensive, jobs are harder to get and keep, and can be a lot more stressful

2 people like this

Hi photogirl thanks for asking if we as men want women to have a higher education. I believe it's not very important the woman could be very intelligent and not afforded it. College has become mostly associated with partying as well so there is no plus in that it's a ripoff and mostly designed for the elite with no guarantee of employment but bsck to the question it doesn't matter to me personally as long as the time has not been spent doing drugs instead lol . She could be working or reading or traveling instead of going to college. 

1 person likes this