Invincible

Physical strength: a dealbreaker?

14 posts in this topic

I may or may not have made a thread about this, but I can't remember so..,yeah. Anyways, it's pretty much a given that almost every woman wants a guy who can protect her from predators and perhaps occasionally be a handyman and help her lift heavy stuff.

I myself am an extremely scrawny guy, so I'm not going to be winning any fights against attackers (unless I shoot them or the attacker is in a wheelchair). I'm definitely not strong enough to help move furniture or other kinds of heavy equipment. Nor am I likely to be able to carry her in my arms in case of an emergency or just for fun. The thought of that really bums me out sometimes.

So ladies, if great physical strength a requirement for you?

hahaha at first I thought this was a question for the guys regarding female strength! No issue there! Continue... 

2 people like this

Yeah, you have asked this before. Silly Vincey. But anyhow...

No, it's not a dealbreaker for me. I prefer tall, thin guys anyway, so it's pretty likely they wouldn't be as strong. I'd go for someone like that over someone who was average build, average height etc. anyway (if it came down to looks).

On a side note, I've never understood the fascination with guys who were really strong, like those with the bulging biceps, and whatnot. Maybe it's just because there's an idea of having either brains or brawn. Obviously, you can have both, but as first impressions go, brawniness doesn't do it for me. When I see guys on TV and whatnot going up to girls and just flexing their muscles at them, I just laugh at them.

And body-builders? I remember seeing the cover of one of those magazines, and it was just this guy with a disproportionatly small head and veins popping out all over him. And he looked very greasy. Eww.

xxx

3 people like this

Physical strength has never been a deal breaker for me. I have liked guys who are skinny to a bit bulky. But since I workout, I would like a guy who works out too. This way there would be an understanding that this is important.

I like muscles, I definitely find them attractive. But, having them, or lack thereof, isn't a deal breaker for me. People are built differently and I appreciate that, too.

I think the link in my mind is seeing someone in good shape is automatically linked to health and caring for themselves. I know that isn't always the case, but this is the association that I have rather than just waiting to be picked up or the protection aspect.

2 people like this

I've always thought Korean and Japanese (not the sumo wrestlers) men are very attractive; and they're generally very skinny. However, I don't think that not being very muscular means that one isn't strong - looks can deceive. I'm also kind of scared of huge, towering men. If it came to a choice between brains and brawn I would always prefer someone who can hold a meaningful conversation over someone who could pick me up and throw me over their shoulder.

3 people like this

No. Honestly? I have gotten very use to moving things on my own. Or, if I have to, finding someone to help me which, right now, is my sisters ex who is very very helpful in that area. Or getting someone to do the job for me (UNLESS I WANT to do the job, which is possible as I like to rearrange furniture from time to time for different looks). Even if I marry someone who isn't strong for things like rearranging and moving and such, I'm sure the man I marry will be secure in his manhood to allow me to ask for help from elsewhere, because THAT would be a dealbreaker. Yes, I do want someone who can protect me and stand up for me, but that is not necessarily physical. What it really means is that they know how to handle themselves (possibly weapons) in any situation, especially an intruder situation. Actually, although my tastes may have broadened over the years, the main physical type I have been attracted to has been tall and skinny. Which, when you think about it means that they are either not physically very strong, or deceptively strong. Now, would it be NICE if they could do things like the traditional carrying over the threshold, or playing around sometimes,? Sure, but it is by far one of the things furthest down on my list of needs/wants. Strength of mind, and character, is SO MUCH more important to me than PHYSICAL strength.

By the way, you already have something going for you that (of the men I have met) most men don't seem to have. The ability to state insecurities, and uncertainties. Which, to be honest is NOT a  downfall. It's, actually, kind of impressive.

8 people like this

Actually, although my tastes may have broadened over the years, the main physical type I have been attracted to has been tall and skinny. Which, when you think about it means that they are either not physically very strong, or deceptively strong.

I was gonna bring this point up: a lot of people who are physically strong don't look how you would expect them to.  People that focus on strength training (compound exercises like squats, benches, and deadlifts) tend to have a leaner build.  The bodybuilding type (more focused on isolation exercises like curls and tricep pulls) might have larger muscles, but in a lot of cases those muscles are just for show.

2 people like this

Absolutely not. Character is way more important. It's a plus, but a man with great character and love of God is a bigger plus!

2 people like this

Also, come to think of it, if he happens to not be very physically strong, we can always do our own thing with the threshold tradition... like, something dorky and awkward like kissing while walk through the door! lol J/k Except for the idea of doing something just as special, that is just for the two of us. I am all about making sure that anything to do with traditions, and/or married life, are all about what fits 'us' as a couple. Working with each others abilities, likes and dislikes, etc.

4 people like this

Nope, not a deal breaker.  I couldn't care less whether a guy can physically protect me, fix things around the house, or carry heavy things.

2 people like this

Honestly,I would love a guy who can carry me over the threshold and play around by picking me up, etc. But it's not a dealbreaker. His character and "the click" is so much more important.

3 people like this

Hummmmm, how to answer this one....

Well, physical strength isn't a complete deal breaker for me. I would most definatly prefer a man who is stronger then me. You see, I am actually a physically strong woman and often feel masculine because of it :( When a man is stronger then me it makes me feel very feminine.

But a man who is manly and that doesn't mean physical strength but a man who is a man among men. Who has moral and spirtual strength, that is the kind of strength that is most attractive to me.

Tehehe, hope that makes sense :D

4 people like this

I would say that you can tell a lot about a person by how much they value personal health/fitness. So, I'm not looking for superman, but it would definitely cause me to second guess a man if he appeared to pay little attention to his body and its potential.

If he takes good care of himself, it stands to reason that he is capable of taking care of others.

1 person likes this