Marlene

Booty over love? Seriously???

10 posts in this topic

So today I was in my car with my mom, my aunt, my grandma and my brother. I connected my phone to the car because it was about to die. My phone started playing music. I only have romantic music since it's my favorite. We were playing some of my songs when my mom said "Wow Marlene your songs are boring" she unplugged my phone which was charged and out her own music. She played Booty by Jennifer Lopez. Whole story short my family preferred her music. I said my music was more meaningful. My brother says guys prefer girls with big butts than girls who want romance. This made me really mad. How can people think like this?? I was the youngest one in that car and I can't believe my 16 year old brother would say that without anyone disagreeing. I guess I just wanted to rant a bit and read your opinions on this...

5 people like this

Could be that they just dislike your music? Music doesn't need to have a meaning to be good (See: Yellow Submarine), and just because a song does have a meaning doesn't make it good either.

Also couldn't your brother have been teasing you? As an older brother myself I love to tease people on things that they like. WTM is a pretty easy target for teasing as its (And your own) values are so straightforward.

3 people like this

I think it's just a matter of taste in music. I agree, though, that some music is too full of booty this and booty that. It could be what Mirage has said, as well. It's hard to say, since we weren't there. :) Did you not have headphones with you? :)

I have to say, I'm getting to the point where I'm realizing just how much toxic messages there are in popular culture. We're unconsciously absorbing the content of songs and shows that glorify all kinds of sin. I can't really justify it as entertainment anymore.

3 people like this

I hate how society is like this as exemplified in your example in the car, but it is.  That's why I think values have to remain STRONG in order to keep them from wavering as you fight against the crowd of "every one is doing it this way so it must be right".

2 people like this

I know the feeling, my family does this to me a lot.  I will say there are some guys who still prefer romance. :)

Marlene, just because it's your family does not mean it is like they say. I also prefer romantic songs over todays ?music? like 'Anaconda'.

Alwyas be yourself, always.

1 person likes this

Ugh sorry for this rant. Now that I read it again I guess I was just mad. Thanks for your answers though! :)

1 person likes this

i didn't have headphones with me. And yeah my brother does like bothering me a lot. Now that I really thought about the whole thing I shouldn't have gotten mad. Let's just pretend this never happened it's kind of embarrassing:P

1 person likes this