PG1

Let's talk about tech, baby! :)

31 posts in this topic

I'm not exactly an expert on technology, but I do love it and I'm not afraid to try and fix something I have... and usually I'm successful, with the help of research and some trial and error. However, I've been on the fence about whether to upgrade my OS. Which got me to thinking that it might be fun to see what kinds of tech you guys have, what you want. What's your favorite stuff that you have, what's something that you don't have that you think would be totally cool to have? Whatever.

Let's get technical! lol

I'm a bit of a tech geek myself. I have built several gaming PCs and I read a lot about mobile devices and such.

I recently got the Galaxy Note 4 and it is probably the most powerful phone on the market right now. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing had a time travel feature. lol. The S Pen really adds a new dynamic to the phone. It's more than just a stylus. You can use it almost like a mouse and click and drag multiple items all at once. Also there is no phone out there that can match the Note 4 in multitasking. You can have multiple windows open all at once and move them around as you see fit. If you can't tell, I am in love with this phone :)

As much as I love tech, the one thing that I abhor are tech fanboys (or tech fangirls). I don't know if girls have fangirls when it comes to makeup or purse brands or whatever. But tech fanboys are some of the lowest forms of decadence this world has to offer. They are the very embodiment of sin itself. There are murderers that have more humanity in them than tech fanboys. Because murdering human dignity is worse than murdering life itself. These "people" (*cringe) get so angry and upset that they start throwing every racist and gay slur whenever someone else happened to....*GASP choose a different brand of tech than they did. Your life must be so pathetic and insecure to chew someone out for their personal choice of a stupid phone, gaming system, computer, washing machine etc.

There should be a special place in maximum security prison for tech fanboys along with child molestors and people who talk in the theater. 

*Rant over.

1 person likes this

You're going to hate me then. :) Though I'm not really like that NOW.

I have to admit, that there was a time I was kind of like that. All MAC. I still am, for my computer, but that's mainly because I've rarely had any problem with them and it's what I was trained on and am use to. If I was into some games, though, there would be some drawbacks, but (so far) I'm not. Even though I do have to buy used all of the time. The only NEW computer I ever bought was my very first blue clamshell. I prefer mac, but I now know that some of the other brands are doing just as good in some areas... I am just use to macs. I'm considering a windows phone, though, and a different brand of tablet (though I would, ideally, love to have an ipad mini). I'm not big on phones, but I'd like to have some kind of really cool smart phone. For me, the main reason I'd like to have all apple products is because they are so easy to sync together, but it's not so important that I'm not willing to consider other options. I also don't put others down for what they want. Though, I have been known to joke a bit... but that's what it was, just joking. :)

The same goes for my camera. Originally I wanted a Nikon. I SWORE I'd only ever buy Nikon. Then I did my research. Nikon and Canon are always neck-n-neck with each other, technology wise. They both had a deal going for similar products, but the Canon was a better deal and just as good of specs. So, I went with that.

I wish I knew how to build from scratch though. I'd be doing that ALL of the time! :) I constantly attempt fixing things before giving them away, or throwing them away. Usually I can, too. I'm a pretty quick study.

I'm more of a 'if my research shows me' I'll go with something other than what I thought I would.

Like I said, I am no expert. I really don't have any real idea about technology. I just know that I'm open to learning almost anything, and love gadgets. :)

1 person likes this

I am totally hopeless when it comes to technology so I'll be handing over all matters like that to my husband :D

1 person likes this

I currently have a Macbook Pro, running OSX Yosemite, and an iPhone 5, running iOS 8. For one of my classes, I use a Nexus 7 tablet. I used to have a Lenovo Windows 7 laptop and a Motorola Droid 3. Before that, an HP laptop with Vista, and a Blackberry. I've even got a little bit of experience with Linux in under my belt.

1 person likes this

You're going to hate me then. :) Though I'm not really like that NOW.

I have to admit, that there was a time I was kind of like that. All MAC. I still am, for my computer, but that's mainly because I've rarely had any problem with them and it's what I was trained on and am use to. If I was into some games, though, there would be some drawbacks, but (so far) I'm not. Even though I do have to buy used all of the time. The only NEW computer I ever bought was my very first blue clamshell. I prefer mac, but I now know that some of the other brands are doing just as good in some areas... I am just use to macs. I'm considering a windows phone, though, and a different brand of tablet (though I would, ideally, love to have an ipad mini). I'm not big on phones, but I'd like to have some kind of really cool smart phone. For me, the main reason I'd like to have all apple products is because they are so easy to sync together, but it's not so important that I'm not willing to consider other options. I also don't put others down for what they want. Though, I have been known to joke a bit... but that's what it was, just joking. :)

The same goes for my camera. Originally I wanted a Nikon. I SWORE I'd only ever buy Nikon. Then I did my research. Nikon and Canon are always neck-n-neck with each other, technology wise. They both had a deal going for similar products, but the Canon was a better deal and just as good of specs. So, I went with that.

I wish I knew how to build from scratch though. I'd be doing that ALL of the time! :) I constantly attempt fixing things before giving them away, or throwing them away. Usually I can, too. I'm a pretty quick study.

I'm more of a 'if my research shows me' I'll go with something other than what I thought I would.

Like I said, I am no expert. I really don't have any real idea about technology. I just know that I'm open to learning almost anything, and love gadgets. :)

You like Macs?! :o You're a terrible person!!! :P LOL I was just being my usual hyperbolic and silly self in my rant. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan of something. The difference is that a fan loves x or y because it works for them, yet they are open to the merits of other things. I swear by Android phones because it works for me. But I acknowedge the pros to iPhones. A fanboy is someone who is blindly zealous to a brand and thinks anyone who chooses differently is the devil. Not only that, but they go out of their way to bash people for something so arbitrary that doesn't affect anyone else. 

It's like yelling death threats to someone for their choice for the design of their kitchen floor. Oh those people who choose checkered tiles just have no class whatsoever :P

2 people like this

I am totally hopeless when it comes to technology so I'll be handing over all matters like that to my husband :D

Nothing wrong with that. :)

I currently have a Macbook Pro, running OSX Yosemite, and an iPhone 5, running iOS 8. For one of my classes, I use a Nexus 7 tablet. I used to have a Lenovo Windows 7 laptop and a Motorola Droid 3. Before that, an HP laptop with Vista, and a Blackberry. I've even got a little bit of experience with Linux in under my belt.

I'm debating Yosemite because I'm afraid I'll lose use of my Creative Suite programs, and I can't afford to apgrade those. Still trying research to figure that out.

You like Macs?! :o You're a terrible person!!! :P LOL I was just being my usual hyperbolic and silly self in my rant. There's absolutely nothing wrong with being a fan of something. The difference is that a fan loves x or y because it works for them, yet they are open to the merits of other things. I swear by Android phones because it works for me. But I acknowedge the pros to iPhones. A fanboy is someone who is blindly zealous to a brand and thinks anyone who chooses differently is the devil. Not only that, but they go out of their way to bash people for something so arbitrary that doesn't affect anyone else. 

It's like yelling death threats to someone for their choice for the design of their kitchen floor. Oh those people who choose checkered tiles just have no class whatsoever :P

lol I do.

I guess I just didn't know what the difference was between fan and fanboy(girl). :) No, I'm just a fan. I use to be a little more than that, but I'm older now and see the benefits of acknowledging the pros and cons of any tech. It's like almost anything else in the world, right? You have to figure out what works for you.

Whew! *wiping forehead* hatred averted. lol

1 person likes this

I recently got the Galaxy Note 4 and it is probably the most powerful phone on the market right now. I wouldn't be surprised if this thing had a time travel feature. lol. The S Pen really adds a new dynamic to the phone. It's more than just a stylus. You can use it almost like a mouse and click and drag multiple items all at once. Also there is no phone out there that can match the Note 4 in multitasking. You can have multiple windows open all at once and move them around as you see fit. If you can't tell, I am in love with this phone :)

OK, so I probably should have asked this before i got caught up in the fanboy-girl thing! lol What are the pros for the Galaxy Note? (ps. a time travel feature would be AWESOME!). Also, This 'S Pen' you're talking about? Does it work on any touch screen? This phone sound pretty frakin cool. I'm not sure if/when I'm going to be getting a phone, but it's be nice to know about different ones. :) Tell me about this love of yours.

1 person likes this

Im not a fan of computers because something always goes wrong or it become slow lol. I have an iPad and only got it because there was a deal at my school but I use it for most things, unless I need to write something for class. I fail when it comes to technology lol.

Im not a fan of computers because something always goes wrong or it become slow lol. I have an iPad and only got it because there was a deal at my school but I use it for most things, unless I need to write something for class. I fail when it comes to technology lol.

That's ok. :) I'm sure there will always be someone around who can be of assistance when you need it. :) So, it's all good.

1 person likes this

OK, so I probably should have asked this before i got caught up in the fanboy-girl thing! lol What are the pros for the Galaxy Note? (ps. a time travel feature would be AWESOME!). Also, This 'S Pen' you're talking about? Does it work on any touch screen? This phone sound pretty frakin cool. I'm not sure if/when I'm going to be getting a phone, but it's be nice to know about different ones. :) Tell me about this love of yours.

This phone can pretty much do anything. lol. One particular feature I'm quite fond of is that the software allows you to take a pic of anything that has text on it like a whiteboard and it converts to a word document or PDF file. From there, you can edit the text however you want. The camera will detect text even if you're shooting from an angle. So it makes taking notes in class a snap. Get it? Snap....picture? No, joke fail? Okay I'll stop :P

The Note 4 is seriously the best phone for any artist or if you're into calligraphy. That's because the S pen is pressure sensitive so the harder you press down, the thicker the font is. Plus you can choose the color of your ink and you can choose a variety of type of pens to mimic such as a fountain pen, highlighter or paint brush. The options are almost limitless. You could use the phone to replace a traditional canvas if you wanted. lol

It's also a gigantic phone. So you're probably thinking you're forced to use both hands to navigate, right? Well no problem! It has a "One-handed mode" feature. Just swipe from one edge of the screen to the middle and back again and the screen will shrink itself. That also includes the home buttons and volume button so it's great if you have small hands.

I could gone on and on for decades telling you all the features this phone has. So I'll leave you with this awesome video of JUST 30 cool features on the Note 4 :)

2 people like this

That does sound awesome. Especially the part about the feature for smaller hand, since I have small hands. I'm going to look at that video, too. It looks really nice.

Acer desktop running Debian 6 (Linux) and a Windows 7 dual boot. I prefer Linux though.

1 person likes this

I have a mobile workstation with an uberstrong graphic card named Nvidia Quadro 4000m with 16gb ram. Workstations are especially made to work with 3d rendering programs, like Photoshop, Autodesk, Cinema 4d,.... In short, it's the perfect machine for designers of any kind, like game-designers, architects, etc. I had windows 8 but switched to windows 7.

The downside is that it's super heavy and my back muscles really work hard to carry it a whole day at school.

Believe it or not, even though I'm a webdesigner, I really hate pc's and sitting behind a desk, and the only time I'm spending time with my laptop is when I have homework to do or when I'm really tired and laying on my bed, otherwise I wouldn't even touch it for weeks, or even months.

Apart from that, I have a Galaxy s3 and I really like the galaxy series.

I recommend you to buy a macintosh if you are using designing-tools, especially if your'e working with pictures.

And yeah, right now, I'm doing homework with some procrastionation-intervals in between.

3 people like this

I use Photoshop and Illustrator. Though I have some other programs that I really need to dip my creative toes into. I use a Macbook. OS is Maverick (as I've stated, I'm debating on the upgrade). I have heard from other photogs that for photography PS on PCs work really well. I am just use to Mac.

Ofc it does also work fine on PC but the interface of a macintosh is way more suitable for designing, the visual aspect too.

That's why our teachers at school demanded macintosh machines in our designing classroom.

I have to admit, that there was a time I was kind of like that. All MAC.

You are into MAC's :o  noooooooooo.... Don't turn to the dark side :P   apples belong in the fridge :P

I'm a bit of a tech geek myself. I have built several gaming PCs and I read a lot about mobile devices and such.

I recently got the Galaxy Note 4 ...

And Vince my man :D  now you are talking.   hi^5 You see libs1979.. turn to light side, and explore the Galaxy like master Jedi Vince :P

Myself.. I built couple of gaming rigs, workstations and home theatre pc's (for friends and for myself) but grew tired of it.  I still want to build a home server (but not with wifi)

1 person likes this

I really hate pc's and sitting behind a desk...

Count me in as well.  Especially when spend hours upon hours behind the desk.  We all know it's not good for our bodies.  Does your eyes also hurt after 2-3hours or getting headaches after long day behind the pc?  And surely you must have heard of Gunnar glasses :)

I'm open to other things techs other than Macs, but not really for my computers. I like my macs, for my art and anything else. Although I am thinking about some other brands for phones and a tablet (although I'd still like to have an ipad mini).

I'm debating Yosemite because I'm afraid I'll lose use of my Creative Suite programs, and I can't afford to apgrade those. Still trying research to figure that out.

I would be shocked if they were incompatible with OSX Yosemite. Don't take my word for it though! But I love the upgrade; I highly recommend it, if you can swing it.  :)

As for mobile OSes, well, I had a really negative experience with my Droid, and I haven't been blown away by the Nexus 7. But I'm really unhappy with the size of the new iPhones. The iPhone 5 is the perfect size for my tiny hands.  :(

That's ok. :) I'm sure there will always be someone around who can be of assistance when you need it. :) So, it's all good.

IRL my job is helping people who have trouble with their technology.  :D

1 person likes this

Count me in as well.  Especially when spend hours upon hours behind the desk.  We all know it's not good for our bodies.  Does your eyes also hurt after 2-3hours or getting headaches after long day behind the pc?  And surely you must have heard of Gunnar glasses :)

My eyes don't hurt anymore because I blink nearly every second when I'm working with a pc, so it won't dry out. The only thing that's bad for your eyes during spening time behind ur pc is not-blinking. i also drink 3 - 4 liters water a day so I stay hydrated so my head won't hurt either.

These are real simple things but bellieve me it helps :D

I am *nearly* anti-tech.....no actually its not as bad as it sounds but so far I have resisted the trend to get a smartphone YAY :D Good ol' Huawei G6600! Seeing all the trouble my siblings have with their iPhones I'm pretty happy - if only it had a note-taking ability!! Or even sms-export....But I must say the Kyocera Brigadier has pricked my interest and just might be the 1st to scale the wall of resistance. Sadly as I'm in Australia it needs to be rooted and so far that still has to be fully figured out. I just really dislike the whole throwaway consumerism and planned obsolescence tech has these days. And on the occassion that I'm off my PC (lovely windows 7) I don't really want to be staring at a different screen as extraordinarily tempting as mobile internet is!!!

As far as the Mac vs Windows war...I've always had a PC and don't see myself migrating. Am I the only one to detect a drop in Mac's quality - the number of issues my siblings have with their Macs is outrageous! Not to mention their cult-like marketing strategy.....

Does anyone have a good e-reader to recommend? I have too many books and it is preventing me from buying more  :wub:

1 person likes this

I am *nearly* anti-tech.....no actually its not as bad as it sounds but so far I have resisted the trend to get a smartphone YAY :D Good ol' Huawei G6600! Seeing all the trouble my siblings have with their iPhones I'm pretty happy - if only it had a note-taking ability!! Or even sms-export....But I must say the Kyocera Brigadier has pricked my interest and just might be the 1st to scale the wall of resistance. Sadly as I'm in Australia it needs to be rooted and so far that still has to be fully figured out. I just really dislike the whole throwaway consumerism and planned obsolescence tech has these days. And on the occassion that I'm off my PC (lovely windows 7) I don't really want to be staring at a different screen as extraordinarily tempting as mobile internet is!!!

As far as the Mac vs Windows war...I've always had a PC and don't see myself migrating. Am I the only one to detect a drop in Mac's quality - the number of issues my siblings have with their Macs is outrageous! Not to mention their cult-like marketing strategy.....

Does anyone have a good e-reader to recommend? I have too many books and it is preventing me from buying more  :wub:

I am pretty much a mac person. However, other brands have come a long way in recent years. When I was a kid we had a PC, didn't care much for that. However in school I worked only on Macs. So that could be where my love originated. :) Maybe there has been a drop in quality, or maybe it's just because the other tech out there is getting that much better. :) Of course, if it is, indeed, declining in quality, it could be due to recent changes in the company. Even the company admitted that Jobs was a near perfectionist. He had very high standards.

As for readers. I've heard good things about the Amazon ereaders, the Kindles. They are capable of a few other things (depending on which one you get, but I am not knowledgable further than that) and are wonderful for their screen viewing capabilities. Such as allowing you to adjust the brightness, even the look of the pages (I think).

1 person likes this