Jasmine23

Could You....

33 posts in this topic

Sure. I have OCD, and it has really ruined a lot of things about my life. Believing that I couldn't find a practicing Catholic virgin. Believing that no woman could love me because of my character flaws. Being unable to control behavior that is seen as strange to the women I have known, and losing self-respect due to rejection. Some people have mild forms, and some people have forms that are so insignificant that it wouldn't even be classified as OCD.

If somebody feels the need to check the stove multiple times to make sure it is off, that in and of itself wouldn't be considered OCD. When you HAVE checked it multiple times, clearly remember that it was off, and are STILL worried about it to an extent that it is impacting your life, THAT is OCD.

Hi Dave :D

THank you very much for sharing this. As you are a believer, I am totally convinced God has a solution waiting for you...So hold on, and don't give up your expectations.

May be, it is rare, but I personally know a practicing catholic woman (she is now 28 years old). She married her husband about 5 years ago and they were both virgins. THey have 2 children and she is pregnant.

Her parents entered their own marriage as practicing virgin catholic...so....it is possible...even if it is rare...

It certainly  not have been easy to share your battle concerning OCD publicly, so thank you for having done it.

I pray God can help you and I am sure He will one way or another...since you believe in Him.

I want to encourage you

3 people like this

Hi Dave :D

THank you very much for sharing this. As you are a believer, I am totally convinced God has a solution waiting for you...So hold on, and don't give up your expectations.

May be, it is rare, but I personally know a practicing catholic woman (she is now 28 years old). She married her husband about 5 years ago and they were both virgins. THey have 2 children and she is pregnant.

Her parents entered their own marriage as practicing virgin catholic...so....it is possible...even if it is rare...

It certainly  not have been easy to share your battle concerning OCD publicly, so thank you for having done it.

I pray God can help you and I am sure He will one way or another...since you believe in Him.

I want to encourage you

Thank you very much.

1 person likes this

I can assure you that it is an issue, even if it doesn't appear as such to an outsider.

For example, when I was at work, at a grocery store, numerous good-looking women would show up, and I worked with some good-looking women that I got along with to some extent.

It got so bad that, in my head, I would be thinking, in a never-ending monologue:

Good looking lady. You should say hello. She couldn't be interested in you. She's not a virgin or waiting for marriage. She looks good, but she's still just a part of the scenery. Why can't her kind be interested in me? She'd just make fun of me like the other women that I've known. She couldn't possibly understand what it's like to be me. She's had sex with countless guys, but her husband wouldn't have a chance. She's got an extremely high divorce rate. She couldn't care for her husband. He was never anything more than a means to an end. The guys that she had sex with were the ones she was interested in. She won't have sex with her husband because he is nothing like the guys she was attracted to. She could never be attracted to me. But still, she's a good looking lady; why aren't I talking to her.......

This would go on in my head for HOURS at a time. It would slow down my work, and make me frustrated. It was having a major impact on the quality of my work. Sometimes it would make me physically sick. Nobody watching would have the slightest idea.

One of the criterion of the diagnoses of a psychiatric disorder is that of personal distress. Without that component of the patient feeling that they're lives are affected it doesn't matter how outsiders view the behavior, symptoms aren't diagnosed as psychiatric disorders. The person would just be "strange", or "eccentric".

I just saw a documentary about this last night (it featured people with severe OCD. these people had strange behaviors that affected their quality of life and messed with other people's lives as well cuz they also dragged family members and spouses/children into their OCD drama).

I was shaking my head the whole time. don't get me wrong I felt bad/sorry for the people with OCD but I felt even sorrier for the people who had to deal with their drama every single day.

Sometimes I wonder if ocd people would still be obsessive about stuff in a life or death situation.

If terrorists came into your office building and started shooting (like what happened in france recently) are you still gonna be worried about something on your desk not being symmetrical or in their proper order?

I don't think so. These ocd people would run and get the hell out of there.

What I'm trying to say is...they are indulging in these unnecessary behaviors because they CAN.

They need to get out of their OCD comfort zone (cuz that's what it is. a comfort zone) and start living normally.

especially if your over-the-top OCD is affecting the lives of those around you, you really need to stop and look around. it's selfish to drag other people into your issues.

and people shouldn't be coddling these people either.

i'm sorry to anyone reading who thought this was harsh but i'm trying to keep it real. y'all need to get out of your comfort zone.

I just read this, and IT. HAD. ME. ROLLING. just the mental was hilarious to me. Thanks for sharing :)

My OCD varies. When it comes to my room, car, phone, firearms, video games, vaccation plans, or any plans the OCD is pretty bad. Although I cope well. I dont have any problems dating someone who has OCD, as long as it doesn't affect me in a negitive way.  

One of the criterion of the diagnoses of a psychiatric disorder is that of personal distress. Without that component of the patient feeling that they're lives are affected it doesn't matter how outsiders view the behavior, symptoms aren't diagnosed as psychiatric disorders. The person would just be "strange", or "eccentric".

It is true that a behavior has to impair one's functioning in order to be called a mental illness, but it doesn't have to be something the patient is personally aware of. Someone with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, for example, is definitely going to have a disturbed social life, but they will not attribute that disturbance to themselves. That is because one of the key characteristics of that personality disorder is denying that they are at fault for any of the problems in their lives. And someone with Schizophrenia may be too lost in delusions to see that their mind is the cause of their fears rather than any legitimate external source, but they certainly are still mentally ill.

Of course the inverse is also true, as someone with OCD or Depression may be very good at hiding their symptoms around people they care about, but it could still be having a very negative effect on their lives.

1 person likes this

Of course the inverse is also true, as someone with OCD or Depression may be very good at hiding their symptoms around people they care about, but it could still be having a very negative effect on their lives.

Exactly, Steadfast Madcup. I have OCD as well, only a few, to whom that I have myself voluntarily mentioned, know that.

As someone has said here, it is not something you see in such videos; they are just the extremes of them. The typical OCD in fact includes repeated handwashing and checking if the door is locked seven or eight times. They, per se, are not harmful. Did I use any pills? Heck no.

I have less of it, but I used to have more. It is uncurable, but from experience, I can say that it is kind of managable. Nobody even suspected it, except me.

From what I have observed, 'personality disorders' affect more of social life, while 'anxiety disorders' affect less of it but disturbs more of the inner peace. I have no problem with social life and no problems with typical relationships.

It would not be a problem for me. However, like another person mentioned, if it was debilitating then it would naturally make things more difficult. I would like to think i could help and support her through improving the condition.

1 person likes this