Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ArtsyGal

Premarital counseling?

21 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!

Ok, so you have found a fellow WTM person that you wish to share the rest of your life( YAY for you :D ), would you attend premarital counseling with them?

2 people like this

Marriage is one of the biggest choices I could make in life, so yes I would want to go to premarital counseling. The counselor asks and goes over things that an unmarried person would not think of, and you find out before being married if you and your fiancé are going to make it being a married couple. :)

6 people like this

Lol there's no way around it for me! But I do think it's important to figure out issues beforehand so counseling won't be necessary after the fact.

3 people like this

Yeah, I would def take pre-marital counseling. Even if you think you're good and don't need it, you'll either be proven right and will be strengthened in the faith that you have in your relationship or you'll find things you need to work on before marriage and postpone it until it can be worked out.  

Or there is the third option, that you find something or several things that can't be worked out and you have to call off the marriage and go separate ways. But even that option is better than a divorce. 

7 people like this

It isn't a must for me (boyfriend and I have been together 5 years, I think we have each other figured out pretty well), but I would go if it was important to my SO.

1 person likes this

What suddenly brought this line of thought into your mind?  Are you or someone you know engaged?

What suddenly brought this line of thought into your mind?  Are you or someone you know engaged?

Hahaha!! Gosh no, not me anyway ;)

I listen to Dr. Laura on the radio and she talks about premarital counseling a lot so I guess that is why it is on my mind and now a great question to ask here :)

It is fun to read other people's response to a question, tehehe

2 people like this

Absolutely! There are also some good books out there that list a heap of questions on different topics to go through with eachother to identify and preempt possible areas of conflict/stressors e.g. what will we do if we conceive a retarded child?

3 people like this

It's (usually) part of Catholic marriage preparation, but even if it wasn't, I think it's a good idea to do at least some kind of counselling in advance. I mean, you should be discussing stuff together anyway, but it'd give you another perspective, raise questions you hadn't thought of, etc. And you can get advice from other couples, too, which is good.

xxx

5 people like this

I guess it would be a good idea; I haven't thought about it until now.

Same, I didn't know it was a thing... I would definitely go if I had a significant other who wanted to.

Where does one go to find premarital counseling?

You would have to see what kind of licensed psycotharipists are in your area. You are looking for one that has a degree in marriage/family counseling. I believe they do the pre-marital counseling as well :)

You can always ask a therapist directly, and they should be able to direct you to the right person.

Hope that helps you :D

1 person likes this

I guess I would. Nothing wrong with it, but I would go to a licensed professional. Better to work things out then get married and be miserable

I wouldn't be against it, and feel it could be beneficial, but it's not something I'd feel I HAVE to have. I guess I don't really have to answer any more detailed than that. :) Though, I could.

I would absolutely do counseling. Being Catholic, I think it's already a requirement to do marriage classes, but if my partner agreed, counseling would be a definite yes. Why not be as prepared as possible?

At my parents' church, the pastor requires pre-marital counseling before he will agree to perform the wedding ceremony.  That's about all I know in regards to pre-marital counseling.

Honestly, I don't see the harm in engaging in pre-marital counseling.  It seems like a good idea, if you want to find out if you really do love your spouse, or if you will end up hating each other.

As I once heard someone say, "Don't get married!  Just find someone you absolutely hate, and buy them a house!"