ArtsyGal

Older women???

18 posts in this topic

Hello guys, I do not know if this has alread been asked.

Another great series of questions about dating :D

Do you guys prefer to date women of your same age or younger?

Would you ever consider dating/marrying an older woman?

How much older would be too much for you?

Would dating or being married to an older woman affect the way you veiw her?

Any other info about this topic would be great!

Ok men, get ready, get set, answer those questions!!! :D

2 people like this

I've asked myself this question... but I can't see myself dating an older woman.  The chances could be 50~50.  If she is a year or two older, then I might consider.  Five years feels way too much.  If you are a guy with a soft heart, I get the impression she will dominate you "because she is older than you".  I am no expert in this field, but I think the age difference will clash.  

4 people like this

Depends on how much older, of course, but I've been on a couple dates with women in their early 30s (I'm 28), and found that it's not much different than going on a date with someone in their early 20s, and on a similar note I don't really feel anything different lol.

Of course the older a woman is, the more likely it is they'll have past marriages and/or children, which is kind of a deal breaker for me and presumably for most single, never-married guys.

There is something about a single, mature woman in her early 30s that I find attractive though.

8 people like this

I'd be pretty screwed if my boyfriend wasn't open to dating an older woman (I'm a month and two days older than he is haha).  ;)

2 people like this

Once you're past 20, age differences of 2-3 years make very little difference.

4 people like this

Of course the older a woman is, the more likely it is they'll have past marriages and/or children, which is kind of a deal breaker for me and presumably for most single, never-married guys.

My take on this issue is kind of on the same lines. I'm totally open to being with an older woman, though preferably not too much older. But yeah, I'm almost 30 and many single women around my age have been married in the past and/or have kids. My main gripe isn't with the kids. It's more to do with the fact that she most likely will have a cynical outlook on relationships. By that time, her heart has probably been hardened due to a string of bad relationships and probably distrusts men. That is a huge turn off. Of course I can understand the desire to be cautious but I don't want a girl to be constantly suspicious that I'm lying to her somehow.

But I know that's not true for all women, it's just a trend that I've observed. If I found the right girl who happened to be a bit older, I wouldn't mind at all.

4 people like this

I had a long a detailed answer for you all typed up, but then I decided it was confusing and left too many unanswered questions. So here is the short answer, and perhaps this says just as much, if you think about my words:

I am a very old-fashioned man, with old-time morals and values. I cherish my faith and my God, and I want nothing more than to be a God-fearing husband and father, and to raise my children and love my wife in a way that brings them up in the love of their Savior. I often have a hard time relating to my immediate age group, as I honestly don't think many of the young women in it are fully matured character-wise to the point of me finding them attractive. (Obviously, this WTM site is full of many exceptions). In the past, I can say with honesty that nearly every young woman I have developed a liking to (even if it did not become a romantic attachment), was slightly older than I. In the future, I would not be surprised if I ended up marrying an older woman, even if she were 10 or 11 years older. I would love her just the same.

6 people like this

Do you guys prefer to date women of your same age or younger?

Would you ever consider dating/marrying an older woman?

How much older would be too much for you?

Would dating or being married to an older woman affect the way you veiw her?

Any other info about this topic would be great!

No preference

Yes I would

7 years

no it wouldn't

Thanks a lot! This just made me remember the successful proposal on Melbourne Cup day of a 71 year old man to a 25 year old girl. 😱😲

Considering men die earlier than women it makes sense to marry an older woman. I don't think I'd be comfortable with a gap greater than 3 or 4 years older (this is qualified by my being woefully underexperienced in dating etc any age-group!). Also if we want kids then marrying to much older can bring problems with rapid decline of female fertility past 30 (?) and I wouldn't want to be too old when having kids because of the age gap and higher risk of complications/defects. Depending on our ages this could create pressure to have kids quickly. I know a couple now in their 50s I think with a young child, I just shake my head....

Older could also mean more past relationship scars but it also means she could have learnt a lot if she has the right attitude.

Also as a student with a as yet non-existent career and older girl with a career seems a little...intimidating? I am quite mature and intellectually capable for my age and would see it as a problem if she treated me as 'lessor' in these areas simply because of age difference. Might be a hollow fear though since I am sure I can prove myself. But it might be that bit harder to take on a headship role with a significantly older partner, among others it could feel like I am 'taking over' her resources without contributing equally.

Then there is also the issue of slim pickings! I don't really have the privilege to discriminate greatly as to age! Ideally I would find my intellectual/maturity match within my age group. But if it is sufficiently present in a younger girl I'd have nothing against it! How much younger? In a way as long as she is sufficiently mature I see little disadvantage (for me) if she was much younger but I would generally counsel girls to avoid such a position - but the older you get the less relevant an age gap becomes.

Older girl...does this mean the whole "I look so old" "ahh! A wrinkle!" will come a whole lot sooner?!😔

1 person likes this

I definitely think the career issue would be an issue for me too. I feel unequal with some of the women I know and they are just working part time while going to school. I'd feel pretty guilty about not working if she had a stable career and I was stuck in med school.

I find it interesting that so many men are threatened by an older women and would never consider the idea of dating one. The reverse, however, is perfectly acceptable and even preferred. What a ridiculous double standard.

2 people like this

Actually, I tend to like older girls. The biggest age difference for me has been 3 years, but I think I could got as high as 5 right now. I find they're more mature than younger girls, and even girls my age. That's of course a generalization - most GUYS my age are immature. I just sort of skipped over the "Let's be young and free and stupid, and do a bunch of things we're going to have to convince our kids not to do when they're our age" phase, I'm ready to pursue dreams and get married.

6 people like this

I've always gotten along better with older people. I would like a girl about my age, but most of the time they are extreme extroverts. I'm mostly introverted. So I would like a girl my age who is introverted. However, if I met a older girl who met all my criteria, I would most likely be interested in giving it a shot. 

1 person likes this

I find it interesting that so many men are threatened by an older women and would never consider the idea of dating one. The reverse, however, is perfectly acceptable and even preferred. What a ridiculous double standard.

It's no more ridiculous then some women who wouldn't date a younger man because of the assumption that it automatically means he's too immature or not as established career-wise. Just saying.

4 people like this

When I was looking it didn't really matter whether they were the same age, older, or younger. I just wanted to make sure they were somewhat close to my age and a good person. The older you get I think the less the age gap matters too. If you are a good match for each other and the age gap isn't creepy, I don't see why it would matter whether they are older or younger.

7 people like this

1-2 years older is considerable, but any older than that is out of the question.  I'm traditional-minded in that I believe the husband should be the spiritual leader of the home, and although that can be done with a woman 3+ years older, I can see it being a little more difficult.

The other reason is expectations.  From my experience, someone older who's farther along in their career will often have the same (or higher) financial expectations of their potential spouse.  If you're a guy who's been out of college for 2 years, a woman that's been in the workforce for a while making 6 figures might want someone around that level.

1 person likes this