Natureboy

Halloween

11 posts in this topic

I would have to read his actual post about it but I don't think he'd steer anyone wrong. For those who don't know, Mr. Cameron Is an EX atheist turned Christian. He's become a "poster boy" (as some would say) for Jesus. So, many holidays he has spoken on even every day life has been for the good and not for bad. I for one HATE halloween because I believe it is a satanic day where some witches, warlocks, pagans, and then some meet up for rituals and what not. I'm not saying all do such but I do have such people in my family so I know it to be true. I don't believe that Christians and believers of Christ period should go into hiding on such holidays. I believe we should come together and pray and focus on God binding up anything and everything that is trying to be conjured up. During halloween, Christmas, thanksgiving, and even Valentine's day there's an increase of deaths... suicide, murders, etc so I believe no matter what so called holiday it is those that follows Christ have to stay focused on him.

Halloween is my 3rd favorite holiday (after Christmas and Thanksgiving). I've always been drawn to supernatural-type stuff, even if I don't believe in it, so it is fun to have a day dedicated to that. Plus, Halloween is so laid-back compared to other 'big-ticket' holidays; people are willing to decorate and have a good time, without getting caught up in a lot of the stresses and expectations that come with Christmas and Thanksgiving (and even Valentine's Day). And, obviously, the candy is fun too.  :D Obviously, since I don't believe in god(s) or the supernatural, I don't feel any particular moral conflict about partaking in it (and if I did, I'd probably be more likely to join in with the Wiccans).

re: the bit in the first article about passing out gospel tracts on Halloween...growing up, I had a next-door neighbor whose house was always the first on my and my friend's list. That was because she always passed out religious tracts -- that had money tucked inside them. It was only $2 or $3 at most, but that is a lot of money to a little kid! Some may question her techniques, but it did ensure that I at least glanced briefly at the tract each year before pocketing the money, and my annual stop by her house is now one of my favorite memories of trick or treating.

1 person likes this

I never celebrated Halloween. As a kid I got one costume ever. Never went trick or treating. My parents just brought us a 5 lb bag of candy and told us to share. I just don't get Halloween spending $60 on a costume you're going to wear once

1 person likes this

I think it is what you make it. Depending on the style/culture? You're into, it's seen as coming with the territory. I know people into rockabilly are big on the 50s and all the "horror" films and all that. Halloween would go along with that. That doesn't mean they are Satanic or worship the devil. But also, I feel like all the holidays have deviated a lot from their meanings. Christmas has all this extra stuff about Santa and elves and all this stuff which is fun, but is a distraction from the true meaning of Christmas. Easter has bunnies and egg hunts which is fun, but also takes away from the meaning of Easter depending on how you use it. But I think the reason Halloween is so hated on is because it's overtly "celebrating the devil." But here's some food for thought: in America, isn't someone not believing the devil exists (Easter/Christmas) the same as worshipping the devil? (Halloween) The end result is the same: hell. So like I said, I think the lie is believing that "celebrating" the devil is the only real fallacy here because that's the only holiday people are really on edge about. Like yeah I get a little freaked out Halloween because all the weirdos are out and I don't appreciate being scared. No I don't dress up in skimpy clothes and no I don't appreciate horror because it sticks in my mind for months. But I appreciate the magical and electrical doe-eyed look of the bride of the Frankenstein monster as she awakens with her light-boltened hair. To me, her style is so romantic, so engaging, and not the usual. Then again I'm also strange and unusual so I can identify with the culture.

But should God tell me he doesn't want me celebrating Halloween anymore, well then....hahah

I was never allowed to celebrate Haloween as a kid. We'd go to church where they'd have games and candy for the kids, so I always had fun with it. As an adult, I'm pretty indifferent to the holiday, aside from taking advantage of the day after to get cheap candy.  ^_^

1 person likes this

I was never allowed to celebrate Haloween as a kid. We'd go to church where they'd have games and candy for the kids, so I always had fun with it. As an adult, I'm pretty indifferent to the holiday, aside from taking advantage of the day after to get cheap candy.  ^_^

Ha I was never allowed to eat candy on Halloween as a kid. Consequently....I don't like eating candy. I like cotton candy and twix and more dessert and stuff but candy is too much sugar for me. I dress up nowadays but I like to keep it in between risqué and old maid right in the middle. Haha

My birthday is on Halloween (or Reformation Day, if you are Protestant), so this has been an important thing for me. Growing up, I lived in an area where it was nothing more than kids dressing up as Power Rangers and Disney princesses to get candy (and I soon found out that I could get even more if I told people that it was my birthday!)

I remember when I was older asking my pastor about whether it was okay to celebrate Halloween given its origins. His response was that dressing up to get candy was more a mockery of the original origins. We were turning it into a holiday of fun, especially centered around kids.

I've come to agree with the advice of my pastor. To me, it is more important what Halloween is than what it was. It's a time for fun, kids wearing costumes, and candy. I do not see anything religiously objectionable about that.

And one way or another, I still get extra candy on my birthday!

I'm a Christian and I celebrate Halloween. I think the spooky and dressing up and getting candy part is fine (within reason of course). I always dressed up and did stuff with my family on Halloween. I never even dressed up as anything bloody or scary till the last two Halloweens (2013 and 2014), when I wore a video game cosplay costume made of things I made and things I got at the store.  (http://romantic-dreamer.deviantart.com/art/My-Halloween-costume-410759623 Here's some pictures of the costume if anyone is interested in what it looked like. It's just the costume though. I have pictures of me in it from both years, but they're for friends only viewing on my facebook page.)

Also free candy!  :D I still have most of my candy from a few months ago. I wonder how much of it is still good?  :)

(Also 6 months till Halloween 2015.  :P)