NicoleNova

Interesting Question

13 posts in this topic

I came across this question online and thought it was interesting. I couldn't come up with anything for myself but I thought maybe someone else would think of something. Even though stereotyping is wrong, it would be worth giving it a thought. 

stereotyping-660x450.png

1 person likes this

I get stereotyped for being a man just because I look like one. People shouldn't be so quick to judge a book by it's cover.

5 people like this

Actually. This one took me a while to come up with an answer, which is yes. I know it sounds weird, but I was the stereotypical band/academic geek in high school. Which was obvious by my rank as #9 in my graduating class, and my 1st and 2nd chair Clarinet positions throughout those years. I was cool with that, though. Simply because I saw no reason not to be. I mean, if you are happy with who you are (and, oddly enough, by high school I actually was) then fitting a stereotype shouldn't bother you. What should bother you is if that is ALL that people see, and all they judge you on. I don't think that's all that people saw in me, or see in me, though. Even though people do tend to be surprised when they hear I don't have any 'higher' education. Most of what I do know is because I learned on my own. Just because you don't necessarily want to attend a school, doesn't mean you don't like to learn. I also think that's why I try really hard not to judge someone simply by the way they SEEM to be. I let their continuing words and actions verify, or change, my thoughts about them over time. Simply because people change. Contrary to what most people think.

Just my view point. Oh, and for those of you who love words as much as I (and I know you're out there)... In case you didn't know that there's a word for it, being 'self taught' makes you and 'autodidact'. :) Yep Burgers... I'm a geek. lol

5 people like this

Just my view point. Oh, and for those of you who love words as much as I (and I know you're out there)... In case you didn't know that there's a word for it, being 'self taught' makes you and 'autodidact'. :) Yep Burgers... I'm a geek. lol

Ohh... I am definitely autodidact.  I taught myself to ride a bike, tie my shoe and even potty train. lol I still learn faster by myself and could never do study groups. 

1 person likes this

I get stereotyped as "boring" because I am an accountant :) . 

I'm a very silent person so I get labeled as "introvert/strange/cold" too.

I don't know how to explain whether I like it or not but the way the question is worded interests me - if the answer to the question is 'yes'... liking something that you're a victim of sounds pretty masochistic :)  or maybe you can be a victim of good things too?

Well, there are positive stereotypes. Such as since I'm a woman, I'm more caring than a man. Which isn't always true but I wouldn't be offended if someone said I was caring. Its just wrong, since I'd rather they find that out by getting to know me rather than assuming. And its unfair to men who might be just as much or more caring than me.

2 people like this

1.when i used to have a pet chihuahua and someone said thats very mexican of me i was like **** yea! chihuahuas are amazing

2.same story but with tacos

this took me like 10 seconds to think of an answer

1 person likes this

I wouldn't say stereotyping is wrong. Stereotyping occurs in our minds, a cognitive process, a generalization, that isn't inherently good or bad. PREJUDICE - the evaluation of an individual based on a stereotype - is not good.

I've been stereotyped as the "nice guy". People hear I'm a vegan, don't drink, don't "get bizzay", walk on the side of traffic, etc., and stereotype me as a boy scout. I've once had a friend told me that her sister, after hearing about me, referred to me as "all superego".

In my high school yearbook, I was voted "Most likely to donate a kidney."

I frickin' LOVE IT! All I really want to be is a good guy, and people tend to type me as that. I don't mind one bit.

Is this the kind of thing we're talking about?

4 people like this

I wouldn't say stereotyping is wrong. Stereotyping occurs in our minds, a cognitive process, a generalization, that isn't inherently good or bad. PREJUDICE - the evaluation of an individual based on a stereotype - is not good.

I've been stereotyped as the "nice guy". People hear I'm a vegan, don't drink, don't "get bizzay", walk on the side of traffic, etc., and stereotype me as a boy scout. I've once had a friend told me that her sister, after hearing about me, referred to me as "all superego".

In my high school yearbook, I was voted "Most likely to donate a kidney."

I frickin' LOVE IT! All I really want to be is a good guy, and people tend to type me as that. I don't mind one bit.

Is this the kind of thing we're talking about?

Yeah, that's another one. I get stereotyped as the "good girl" or the "girl next door" which I am happy to be. Lol. I strive to be more like that everyday. The only thing is that my humor sometimes doesn't line up with that and it comes as a surprise to them. But that's also fine since I like to be surprising every once in a while too. Lol

4 people like this

I often get stereotyped for my race. Which incidentally I am the wrong person to stereotype since you can name pretty much any Asian stereotype out there and I have broken it. Among them are, but not limited to:

-I'm a safe driver

-I'm over 6 feet all

-I barely speak the language of my heritage

-I'm not Buddhist, Taoist nor do I worship my ancestors

-I do not hang out with other Asians

-I do not like anime

-I'm not quiet or shy

-I suck at math and science (and school in general)

-I wear my shoes around the house

-I vastly prefer western food over Asian food

-I love milk and dairy products

-I hate tea

-I hate rice

-I have no interest in being a doctor, lawyer, restaurant owner or any other stereotypical Asian professions

-I do not know any martial arts

-I cannot generate fire or lightning from my hands

-I will not force my future children to play an instrument

-I do not eat cats or dogs

-I can speak English better than the Queen of England

-I prefer a fork over chopsticks any day

-You can see my eyes

-I use "sideways" emoticons instead of "upright" emoticons

-My parents didn't beat me for getting less than an A+ in school (which was pretty much always)

-I love of black people

-I'm not a ninja (i'm working on that though)

10 people like this

Well I am Portuguese ... The stereotype is we are stubborn hard working and always right ;) ... Because of this stereotype I got my first job. Lol