Guest markb4

Being Called M'aam

17 posts in this topic

Hey gals,

So, I was watching the movie, 'Non-Stop, and there was a scene where Liam Neeson's character called Julianne Moore's character, "M'aam", and she wasn't too happy about it or at least found it weird.

So just wondering, do you girls not like being called "M'aam"? Is it weird for you? Is it offensive? Does it just vary from person to person? Etc?

I grew up in Texas, so I'm used to pretty much any female over that age of 12 being referred to as "ma'am" all day every day. I think in the North it can be seen as weird (honorifics aren't nearly as common), or a bit offensive ("miss" is more often used, so "ma'am" might be seen as aging them a bit).

3 people like this

Yeah, I feel old when I'm called Ma'am. I prefer to be called Miss.

And yeah, its different depending on the person and perhaps where they are from.

2 people like this

I was taught to say ma'am or sir for respect. I think it is a southern thing, maybe even a more Texas thing. I accept ma'am if it is said to me, what I don't like is being called 'girl'. :\

Women over 40 don't like it because it makes them feel old at least that's why some get upset. Personally I love it 'cause I see it as the utmost sign of respect probably because it's not that common here. The common word usually used is 'love' which I also love.

I always thought most southerners would call ladies this. A guy I know who is 28 calls me ma'am and I just take it as respectful, maybe because I'm young. I love it when guys say ma’am and sir, because I see manners instilled from a young age. My mom complains about being called ma'am, though. My dad said it once on TV to some lady interviewing him and my mom nagged him about calling her ma’am and he just said, “I call everyone that; it’s out of respect.†And he was born in Arizona. He does call everyone sir and ma’am. The lady was younger than him. I guess it just doesn’t bother me. Maybe when I’m older it will :D.

1 person likes this

I guess I never thought too much about it. I've been called 'miss' (I have never looked my age) and, on occasion I've been called Ma'am. I guess, for me, it is more fitting to my age and my personality. I'm not really a 'miss', that makes me feel too childish, and I'm 34... So, age wise I am more of a Ma'am. :)

Again, I think it varies from woman to woman.

I don't know. I've never been to the Southern USA, and I've never been called 2ma'am" before. I think it would be pretty cool the first few times, because it would be something new. But once that wears off, I think it might be a bit weird, considering I associate the term with the queen of England :P

Personally, I'm rather fond of being called "miss".

Yes Sir I do indeed like being called Ma'am. It's a sign of respect. I feel like I'm being looked at and talked to like a woman of class, Valor, respect, and dignity should be talked to. I am all of those things and being called Ma'am is a badge of honor to me! :D

1 person likes this

I don't mind being called ma'am.  I think it is even a little endearing.   People rarely call me ma'am though. 

Generally I like being called ma'am. I think sounds respectful. It would just depend on who it is coming from. Some random guy in store? Sure! On a date? No way.

1 person likes this

Yeah, I feel old when I'm called Ma'am. I prefer to be called Miss.

And yeah, its different depending on the person and perhaps where they are from.

Same.

I wouldn't mind being called ma'am, but I never am. Even though I'm just a little bit more than a month away from being 24 everybody seems to think I'm 15 so, living in the south, I get called "sweetie" more than anything. Sometimes a miss is thrown in there. It seems normal to me now after being in Georgia for 8 years. The way I look at it, even when I get older, I'd rather be called "ma'am" than "hey you!". lol.

1 person likes this

Ugh, it makes me feel old. I might just respond with "speak up, whippersnapper". Though when people say "ma-am" with a distinct pause in the middle, it makes me giggle.

Hey gals,

So, I was watching the movie, 'Non-Stop, and there was a scene where Liam Neeson's character called Julianne Moore's character, "M'aam", and she wasn't too happy about it or at least found it weird.

So just wondering, do you girls not like being called "M'aam"? Is it weird for you? Is it offensive? Does it just vary from person to person? Etc?

The way I was raised "ma'am" was generally reserved for older married ladies, and "miss" was used for younger, unmarried women.  Being called "ma'am" after the age of 21 still smarts, because it's usually indictative of someone that's younger than me (since some men tend to pick up on how offensive ma'am can be and will use "miss" if they don't see a wedding ring or children nearby).  Now that I'm "older" and firmly in "ma'am terrority", I wence on the inside, and just deal with it.  I understand it's simple an expression in our "polite society".