Guest April

Demisexuality and waiting.

12 posts in this topic

I haven't been on here in a while, so I'm not sure if this has already been asked. I was wondering about this for a while though. Do you think it greatly influences ones decision to wait if they are demisexual? Also, if you haven't heard the term before, it basically means not being attracted to someone in a sexual way until an emotional bond is formed. I would think they mean love? I'm actually not too sure how to explain it either, so I'll link a better description and post it in the thread. Anyway, I'd love to hear your thoughts on the subject. 

http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Demisexual

2 people like this

So that's the word to describe me huh. Finally a word that can define a part of my belief.

1 person likes this

Uhh but doesn't it mean demisexuals are in essence open to bisexuality as such? I mean one could have an emotional bond with anybody, the person could of any gender......

Although the article does mention demi-heterosexuality at the end there, that term seems illogical because if one already asserts a hetero preference then they are basically heterosexual & not demisexual as defined. A heterosexual person may desire an emotional bond before having sex, which seems to render the term demi-heterosexual totally redundant anyway.

A heterosexual person may desire an emotional bond before having sex, which seems to render the term demi-heterosexual totally redundant anyway.

Nah, the difference is that, while a heterosexual person may DESIRE a bond before having sex (as describes nearly every human being on this forum), a demisexual NEEDS a bond before feeling even a shred of sexual attraction or desire.

2 people like this

Nah, the difference is that, while a heterosexual person may DESIRE a bond before having sex (as describes nearly every human being on this forum), a demisexual NEEDS a bond before feeling even a shred of sexual attraction or desire.

Not to reiterate the obvious but the line you've quoted is in reference to "demi-heterosexuality". And I think if someone calls themselves "demi-heterosexual" then that would mean that they are already feeling a shred of or more sexual attraction towards the opposite sex otherwise they'd just call themselves "demisexual" & not "demi-heterosexual; & if someone is already leaning hetero then they are just heterosexual, so the term "demi-heterosexual" becomes unnecessary.

Not to reiterate the obvious but the line you've quoted is in reference to "demi-heterosexuality". And I think if someone calls themselves "demi-heterosexual" then that would mean that they are already feeling a shred of or more sexual attraction towards the opposite sex otherwise they'd just call themselves "demisexual" & not "demi-heterosexual; & if someone is already leaning hetero then they are just heterosexual, so the term "demi-heterosexual" becomes unnecessary.

Generally in the Asexual community (which is where the term demisexual emerged from), people distinguish between sexual and romantic attractions. So someone who identifies as entirely asexual can also describe themselves as being bi-romantic, homo-romantic, and hetero-romantic. In the case of a demisexual person, they may need to have a connection to feel sexual attraction, but they may still only be able to develop romantic/sexual feelings for the opposite or same sex.

1 person likes this

Uhh but doesn't it mean demisexuals are in essence open to bisexuality as such? I mean one could have an emotional bond with anybody, the person could of any gender......

Although the article does mention demi-heterosexuality at the end there, that term seems illogical because if one already asserts a hetero preference then they are basically heterosexual & not demisexual as defined. A heterosexual person may desire an emotional bond before having sex, which seems to render the term demi-heterosexual totally redundant anyway.

It makes plenty of sense to me, because when a person is demisexual they can still have preferences regarding gender, so demi-heterosexual sounds about right.  No one really has to choose a label, but some do. I think everyone is unique in their preferences and as more years pass, we realize that not everyone fits into the mold that was once set. People can identify as multiple things imo and I think they know best what fits them. Also, I agree with Steadfast Madcap.

2 people like this

Ok I guess I understood it the wrong way :P

I'm totally NOT anything other than a heterosexual :P