Invincible

Podcast 5: Double Standards and PUA (feat. Steadfast Madcap)

17 posts in this topic

Watch it. Love it. Comment it.

So far, only the females have been brave enough to come on our boring and not-funny show. You boys out there need to sever the umbilical cord, man up and become a guest. Otherwise I'm going to continue to shame all of you until what little masculinity you have left is gone.

Love your faces.

17 people like this

Another great episode, and it's lovely to put a face to Steadfast Madcap's name :D

The discussion about PUAs made me laugh - like you I don't know a single woman who would fall for any of their cheesy lines.  I've been approached by a couple in my time and the lines were so bad I initially thought they had been dared to say it by their friends.  It was things like 'I may not be Fred Flintstone, but I know how to make the bed rock', and 'Do you believe in love at first sight or should I walk past again?'.  I just laughed at them and made excuses to leave! 

5 people like this

Love the podcasts, Vince!  Have you considered editing them?

That seems to me a slightly backhanded complement.  :P  I kid, I agree at least a little bit of editing wouldn't be a bad idea. They are streamed live right now, which is presumably why no editing happens, but the benefits of a little bit of editing seem to outweigh any benefits of streaming live.

A 5 year relationship with no sex?  Wow.

Oh, don't be too impressed...I only waited for true love/engagement, not until marriage. Ideally, I would have liked to wait all the way for marriage, but circumstances dictate that we probably won't be able to get legally married until our mid-20s...and we knew with certainty that we wanted to be together forever when we were 19 (after 3 years of dating). I didn't want to wait another 6-7 years on a technicality! I have no regrets; I feel like I achieved my ultimate goal and purpose in waiting, which as I said in the podcast, was to experience that total exclusivity with one person only (and as Vince said, it fulfills the practical reasons for waiting such as no STDs, no risk of pregnancy with someone you don't want to be tied to forever, etc).  :)

3 people like this

Great cast as always, Steadfast kept looking like she wanted to say things whenever vince and Jegs were talking between themselves lol

Oh and I sent you a message vince.

1 person likes this

Love the podcasts, Vince!  Have you considered editing them?

That seems to me a slightly backhanded complement.  :P  I kid, I agree at least a little bit of editing wouldn't be a bad idea. They are streamed live right now, which is presumably why no editing happens, but the benefits of a little bit of editing seem to outweigh any benefits of streaming live.

LOL, it's alright. I know Stacie didn't mean it as such. I'm actually torn whether I should do any editing at all because like SM said, it's streamed live and I would like it to be as natural as possible. But at the same time, there are sometimes interruptions that could be edited out. I suppose I could edit them if it becomes too long,

Great cast as always, Steadfast kept looking like she wanted to say things whenever vince and Jegs were talking between themselves lol

Oh and I sent you a message vince.

Yeah, we're still working on not dominating the conversation. :P I responded to your PM,

Oh, don't be too impressed...I only waited for true love/engagement, not until marriage. Ideally, I would have liked to wait all the way for marriage, but circumstances dictate that we probably won't be able to get legally married until our mid-20s...and we knew with certainty that we wanted to be together forever when we were 19 (after 3 years of dating). I didn't want to wait another 6-7 years on a technicality! I have no regrets; I feel like I achieved my ultimate goal and purpose in waiting, which as I said in the podcast, was to experience that total exclusivity with one person only (and as Vince said, it fulfills the practical reasons for waiting such as no STDs, no risk of pregnancy with someone you don't want to be tied to forever, etc).  :)

Then I have to ask: Why are you on a forum based upon WaitingTillMarriage? And why be on a podcast focusing on the very topic, if you don't really care for it?

And Vince, you said you need guys as guests. If you can't get anyone more interesting, sign me up. ;)

1 person likes this

And Vince, you said you need guys as guests. If you can't get anyone more interesting, sign me up. ;)

There's actually someone who volunteered for the next one. But we'd love to have you on the one following the next one :)

1 person likes this

Then I have to ask: Why are you on a forum based upon WaitingTillMarriage? And why be on a podcast focusing on the very topic, if you don't really care for it?

Like I said in the podcast, I'm used to being the oddball pretty much wherever I am, as I have an unusual mix of liberal/conservative values. Non-waiters think I'm really weird for waiting as long as I did, and for feeling a strong desire/need for a really strong form of monogamy (only ever dating/kissing/sleeping with one person, and receiving that in turn from your partner). And waiters-till-marriage think I'm weird for being content not to wait all the way for legal marriage, but rather for being as sure as I feel I could be about being committed to my partner for life. I come here to connect with people who relate to feeling the need for that very strong form of monogamy; it's pretty much impossible to find that in most spaces on the Internet.

And, like I said above, in an ideal world I'd have married my boyfriend years ago. But it wasn't worth the family fall-out, one of us possibly having to stay in school longer as a result of loosing credits due to transfer (we go to college in different states), the added stress that both of us working full time would have added to our studies, and even one of us potentially being forced to drop out of college entirely due to being cut off financially.... As well, to be honest, I want to have a nice wedding full of love and joy. I didn't want to have to sneak off to a court house and have a quick and dirty wedding ceremony without most of our friends and family present. So ultimately, we decided that what matters most is how *we* feel in our own hearts about our relationship, not whether we have signed a legal marital contract or not. The legal aspect will just have to wait until my boyfriend is out of grad school, we've both been working for a few years, and are financially well-established on our own.

4 people like this

Vince, this is my glare to you for saying Friends isn't a good show... -_-  

Anyway, I've also never encountered a pick-up artist. Probably because I've never been to a club or bar before. But yeah, they seem unreal to me and almost cartoonish. lol I'm sure they do exist though. 

2 people like this

I wanna be on the show, the only times I have free would be any Wednesday/Thursday between 11:00-13:00 GMT+1.

Great episode! So nice to see Steadfast Madcap's face ☺

Speaking of faces, Jegsy Scar, has anyone ever told you that you look like Jeanne Tripplehorn? I think it every time I watch a podcast.

About PUAs, I personally don't think anyone ever falls for their lines for real. Pickup lines are just conversation starters, albeit painful ones. I can think of two reasons why PUAs succeed: the girl is desperate, or she actually finds something interesting, intriguing or attractive about him.

4 people like this

(Haven't watched the video yet, but will get around to it.) For me, pickup lines only work as jokes. They're funny to laugh at, but if someone were to use them on me, I'd get really uncomfortable. I might be willing to give it a pass if he admits that it was a dare, and if there's something else interesting about him.

1 person likes this

Listened to this at work today, was pretty good! I always viewed pickup lines as jokes, but the fact that they actually work just baffles me. I'm sure there's more to it than just the lines itself (like appearance/confidence, etc.), but still. 😔