PG1

Women who fix things, or at least try to... how does that make you feel?

24 posts in this topic

If a woman has learned to fix certain things around the household, or she likes to try to fix things herself before getting help (but knows where to draw the line, how far she can go before admitting she can't do it), how do you feel about that? I.E. If there's a clog and she likes to take the sink apart to try and take care of the problem herself? Or, fixing the lock on the screen door? Hanging shelves/decor? Putting shelving units, and other things, together? Anything. Do you see it as intimidating or sexy? Emasculating or helpful?

I'm curios, because I'm that kind of girl.

3 people like this

Oh good question! I would like to see what kind of answers are given, beacuase I am definitely that kind of girl :)

No, absolutely not, unacceptable!

:P

I spend enough my time solving/fixing problems, whether real or technical for others. I'd love to have someone else fixing things too. Almost sounds romantic. Just don't install a shelf or a chandelier so low that I keep running into it.

4 people like this

I don't have a problem with it at all. Shoot, if she knows what she's doing think of the money we'll save on mechanic bills!  ^_^

2 people like this

No, absolutely not, unacceptable!

:P

I spend enough my time solving/fixing problems, whether real or technical for others. I'd love to have someone else fixing things too. Almost sounds romantic. Just don't install a shelf or a chandelier so low that I keep running into it.

LOL... Yeah, I guess I would have to watch out on something like that. I'm not quite 5'1"... So, I'd have to consider his height when doing something like that. I don't know HOW to do a chandelier, but you never know.

1 person likes this

It's really attractive if a woman can fix things or build things because it takes intelligence and a certain amount of being grounded.

Also, I think people are more likely to appreciate that type of work if they've done some themselves. If a person's never done construction, I think it's easier for them to overlook it as being easy. They're more likely to ask "why doesn't it work?" and look at you like you're a dolt as you try to explain something technical about whatever problem you're having.

So I would love the feeling that my job is understood for what it is. I'm saying this as someone who fixes my own bike, does some car maintenance (I used to work for Pep Boys) and works with software professionally.

Oh, and if a woman has a knack for something I'm not very good at, like poetry, or graphic design, or musical theatre, I think that's totally awesome. I'm mystified.

For me there is a really fine line. I could find it quite funny and I could be proud of my wife. But I could also be emasculated by it. The reason for that is I'm quite mechanically inclined. I might get competitive if she were as mechanically inclined as I were. I guess to me this is an area that I would want to be better at. I'm not "book smart" so I put my effort into hands on stuff.

Bottom line if she is as good as me I wouldn't like it. But if I were better than here in this area I would fine it cute when she tried.

LOL... Yeah, I guess I would have to watch out on something like that. I'm not quite 5'1"... So, I'd have to consider his height when doing something like that. I don't know HOW to do a chandelier, but you never know.

A chandelier is mostly just like every other light... Just one that hangs lowmand threatens to nock you off your ladder. Its at least a two person job.

I wouldn't mind it if my wife could help a lot in stuff like that. Then I could trust her to do bigger tasks by herself.

My biggest thing is that she leaves something for me to do as well.

It is both sexy and helpful. And I have always suspected that women know how to do things more than they are ready to admit so that they can charm their men into doing it for them. Come on ladies, admit it.  <_<

I'm the kind of girl who wants to try and fix, or put together, almost anything, before I want help. I resort to reading directions, if I have to, and then I usually don't have much a problem at all. I'm also the one who puts electronics together in our house, and all that. I'm the first one to say 'I can't break it any worse, so let me have a go'. I think one of the things I look forward to, if I ever do get married, is NOT HAVING to do all of this... but knowing I can, and that it's important to me that my husband respects that I'm intelligent enough to either do it, or figure it out, but also that I'm just reasonable enough to admit when I can't do something, or might need some help. :) I think that stuff may come from growing up with a single mom who did it all, and also being single and always having to do stuff myself. That, and I don't like have to ask for help if I can avoid it, but I do when I really need it.

1 person likes this

I'm the kind of girl who wants to try and fix, or put together, almost anything, before I want help. I resort to reading directions, if I have to, and then I usually don't have much a problem at all. I'm also the one who puts electronics together in our house, and all that. I'm the first one to say 'I can't break it any worse, so let me have a go'. I think one of the things I look forward to, if I ever do get married, is NOT HAVING to do all of this... but knowing I can, and that it's important to me that my husband respects that I'm intelligent enough to either do it, or figure it out, but also that I'm just reasonable enough to admit when I can't do something, or might need some help. :) I think that stuff may come from growing up with a single mom who did it all, and also being single and always having to do stuff myself. That, and I don't like have to ask for help if I can avoid it, but I do when I really need it.

Well, that is an interesting perspective. But may I add, you must also consider the possibility that you might end up knowing how to fix things more than your future husband; as lots of men are out there who never learn such skills. These skills come with passion for learning and curiosity about the world. And if you do not mind, would you elaborate on why you do not want to continue doing it when you get married? 

Oh, it's not that I wouldn't want to do some stuff. I think it'll just be nice if I don't have to all of the time, or to have someone to do that stuff with. I guess it'll just be nice to not have to do it all alone for once. :) I kind of like doing that stuff, most of the time. There's more, but it'll kind of lead to another subject, and I'm already pretty bad about making my comments really long. lol

Oh, and I believe you are right. I do love learning about new things, which probably does play into it all. :)

I see now. I hope some day, you will find the one, with whom you can enjoy all things you like doing, be the fixing or learning new things and every other stuff you dream of. It is really an exciting thought. Takes away the loneliness. 

I hope so, too. Although, having a lot in common is one of the things that is less important to me than anything else. I like the idea of us each having different hobbies and/or interests. I like the idea of learning from him, and him learning from me. Having our own little worlds in a big one that we will build together, ha ha, and those world just colliding from time to time. Like our own little time/space continuum. :) Anyway, I'll end this post with what I should have started with... Thank you for you kind thought. :)

2 people like this

Yours is an excellent attitude. It is futile to marry one's own mirror image. That would be disastrously boring. Let's hope for the sake of rest of the world that your "little world" 's collision with ours does not end up producing sparks of strangelets, and thus ending the world.  :o

You are most welcome and thank you for reading my scribbling.

1 person likes this

... It is futile to marry one's own mirror image. That would be disastrously boring. ...

You are most welcome and thank you for reading my scribbling.

I whole heartedly agree. :)

So far you are proving to be an interesting 'read'... or, I guess I could just be boring and say a 'good conversationalist'. :) In any event you are welcome.

I do not think of it as interesting. Just can't fall asleep so I am listening to M83 's "I need you" and scribbling away, till I fall asleep. But you are interesting. Definitely. And what happened to your beautiful picture? I can't see it anymore. Maybe something wrong with my computer. It is really nice meeting you. 

It's nice meeting you, too. I think you're interesting to talk to. You don't have to think so, but I'm allowed to disagree. lol

Iwas just trying to find something new to put in for my picture. I don't know how beautiful it is, but it is a good one of me :) one of my favs, actually... but I've had it there for a while, and I'm getting bored with it. I should have thought it through and decided what to put there before doing it, though. It's late, and I'm tired.I blame my lack of thought on that... mostly. :)

Actually, I'm trying to decide if I want to stay up even later and watch a movie, or go to bed... the movie may win out. :) Since I don't really HAVE to get up with the nephews in the morning since there mom will be here to take care of them.

I don't think I know M83. What type of music is that?

Thank you for thinking that I can be interesting.

Well, then I guess I came late for that beautiful picture. It had an extraordinary "beautiful sense" to it. If you know what I mean. Sometimes a picture or a painting is more than what it is depicting. It radiates a meaning outward. With your arms up, it was as if you were about to fly. Swing right into the air. The sense of freedom was intense in that picture. As you were looking out, there was this innocent invitation with your glance that: "Come with me and fly away". Anyways, I am sure whatever picture you put in there is going to be even better. 

As for M83 's "I need you", it is just I recently watched the movie "Divergent" and this is one of the musics used in the movie. After watching the movie it really struck a deep chord inside of me. It made me question, who would I be? Dauntless? Erudite? Abnegation? or perhaps a Divergent? Maybe I am too hopeful here. Maybe all I am is being factionless.

It was really nice talking to you, Agent 79. I hope you enjoy your movie and when you fall asleep, then all the best dreams in the world fill your mind with angels tickling you along. 

Thanks. Me, and a couple and my photography group, were out one day and that was one of the shots they got of me. I think I'm going to put a self portrait up next, or maybe just an image. I haven't decided yet. It's funny you should mention that, about the flying, though. One of my favorite songs is Michael Bublés 'Come Fly With Me'.

I just recently watched Divergent. That was a great movie. I think it combined quite a few movies into one world. I think I'd like to own it someday. I don't know. I think I'd be considered Divergent, but I'd almost rather be factionless for some reason. I thought the ending left it wide open for a sequel.

So, I actually ended up just watching FRIENDS. I own the box set, and I watch it to fall asleep to most nights. My movie didn't download properly and I was too tired to deal with it. :) I hope you had a good night.

I wonder how often the conversations go way off topic like that. lol It was nice talking to you, though.

Mmmm. I see you have gone undercover, Agent 79. Any particular mission?

A pearly enigma under the mysterious hat.

You are right. We are way off topic here. I am sorry, it was my fault.