cookiemonster

controlling yourself

43 posts in this topic

The Earth is actually only 4.54 billion years old (+ or - 0.05 billion years). The universe itself isn't even a trillion years old (13.978 billion years, + or - 0.037 billion years, if anyone's curious). But yeah, we have cave paintings that are over 30,000 years old, about 5x older than most young Earth creationists think the actual Earth is. 

We have strayed pretty far from the topic at hand, haven't we....

When I looked from the main forum that you've responded to this thread, I sort of expected more from you........I'm so disappointed :lol:  But I can fathom why you haven't said more than what you have.... ;)

1 person likes this

I'm done. Once the 6000 years old fairy tale comes into play I'm just done.

2 people like this

When I looked from the main forum that you've responded to this thread, I sort of expected more from you........I'm so disappointed :lol:  But I can fathom why you haven't said more than what you have.... ;)

Sorry to disappoint. I'm just a stickler for getting random facts right!  :P I feel guilty whenever I get involved in thread derailing, and my opinions would certainly only further derail it.  Besides, I don't think my thoughts on this issue would serve to increase my popularity around here, even among the liberal Christians.  :D I will say, though, that after reading through this discussion, my atheism feels *super* freeing.

freedom.jpg

1 person likes this

I think we have free will, but we also have a God who loves us. Maybe God gives us laws for our own protection and we should obey Him? Don't children have freedom, but they still do things that endanger themselves? "if you touch fire, you'll get burned"

I love serving God, because I feel his love.

And I control myself by faith in God, studying the bible and I love obeying him. I love that he wants to protect us.

1 person likes this

Well I feel my faith is strongest when I believe the things in the Bible really happened.

Take a look at this. I seriously cry when I watch this, cause I want to protect her SO bad, but she just has to believe :)

I can't seem to stay away from this thread. I'll probably get myself into trouble for saying this, but....

Well I feel my faith is strongest when I believe the things in the Bible really happened.

It's fairly unlikely that I will ever convert, but if I *were* to convert, it could never be to a faith that required me to chose between it, and nearly all of our modern understanding of history and science. A faith that requires you to disavow all other methods of discovering the world, and believe everything it tells you to without question, doesn't seem very strong to me.

Take a look at this. I seriously cry when I watch this, cause I want to protect her SO bad, but she just has to believe :)

Holy shnikies, that video needs a trigger warning.  :blink: Aside from the slightly disturbing part, it's a sweet dance, and I've always liked that song. Doesn't really give me the urge to convert, though.  :P

3 people like this

Guys, we're getting getting way off topic here. Start a new thread on Religious Topics if you want to debate the Bible. Thank you.

3 people like this

A faith that requires you to disavow all other methods of discovering the world, and believe everything it tells you to without question, doesn't seem very strong to me.

Strong faith makes me believe in new, wonderful joyful possibilities beyond my understanding regardless of everything I've experienced and been told so far in the world.

Because it's faith in an omnipotent loving Father who wants to delight me with holy things. My Father wants to give me good holy things he created for me that I love, because I love my Father and I enjoy holy blessings. He is all of creation! All that was, and is, and is to come!

Take delight in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Psalm 37:4 (NIV)

People can look under microscopes or dig through mountains or fly to space if that's what they choose. But when people find new things, they can always ask, what does this mean? Meaning comes from our relationship with God. And God is love.

So I say, put faith that there are new, joyous wonderful Holy things God wants to show you, because he loves you. Be born again into a new life of possibility beyond your understanding.

What happens when we die? Jesus conquered death. God loves us so much he gave His only Son to walk the earth and die for us on the cross, so he could connect with us and everyone believing would have eternal life.

People telling hookers they're dirty all the time... until the hooker says, you know what, Jesus loves me, I'm not dirty, I'm God's Holy child, and he loves me. And I love him. I'm gonna go be something good and Holy in life for the Lord. The Lord is boundless love. There are so many transformed people in church, who once saw despair, but live hope.

Going iff of this, I'm assuming that you practice within a branch of Christianity that preaches that when you receive communion, you are only receiving a representation of the Jesus' body... So why do you believe all the other stories of the Bible, but then denote the story of the last supper as a representation of what we are to do, what we are to beleive?

I just follow Jesus Christ. I just know I love him and I eat the bread and drink the wine cause he asks. And I cry, and I feel connected to the world. And I feel joyous. And I pray for people. And I ask him to forgive my sins, and, I feel clean, and holy, and at peace, and I forgive others, and I have a taste for Holy things, and I start loving people more. I remember how to love the world again, if I've forgotten, or I feel something new I've never felt before. New emotions. I see the Heavens open up when I worship sometimes. Worship joyfully, proclaiming the name Jesus loud in Love, singing.

I just go to any church where I feel God. It gives me hope. And the Lord loves hope.

Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God. More than that, we rejoice in our sufferings, knowing that suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope, and hope does not put us to shame, because God's love has been poured into our hearts through the Holy Spirit who has been given to us.

Romans 5:2-5 (ESV)

He died for us, he loves us so much.

I want people to believe because I love them!

God is the loving creator. All glory to God.

1 person likes this

#Brainwashed

If you mean my brain is clean, yea it does feel cleaner

But I'm leaving this thread now

1 person likes this

Man, from how guys keep their penises in their pants to the salvation message in three pages or less.  :lol:

Anyway, assuming this question is dealing with people in relationships, then I think this question could just as easily be posed to women. Girls get horny too. If I were in a relationship with a girl and she was never turned on by me, I'd rethink our relationship. The problem with the guy in the OP is not that he desires sex, but that his values are different than the girl (I'm assuming she's a waiter).

2 people like this

I posted that before I saw your post, Vince. We can move to a new topic if anyone wants.

It's alright, but yes a new topic in the Religious forum would be the appropriate place for this subject.

Well, don't ever go into a Catholic church and receive Communion because you're not eating bread and drinking wine... you're consuming the body and blood of the Almighty... also, unless your have received the sacrament of Holy Communion, you're not allowed in the eyes of the Catholic Church to receive.

IRH, I don't know if you saw my last post, but let's get the topic back on track please.

A few things that work for me:

1. Stay busy and productive in life. When I'm working towards goals and passions, my mind and behavior doesn't wander.

2. Limit the media. I purposefully avoid the mainstream music and blatant garbage online and on tv that exploits sexuality,.Its challenging considering its literally everywhere filling our senses, put plugging into more positive channels has made a difference.

3. When I'm on the verge of making a bad decision, I verbally scream to myself several times, "I AM A BETTER MAN THAN THIS, I AM NOT GOING TO ACT OR THINK THIS WAY!" 

All in all, it just requires discipline. Most guys know their triggers, its just a matter of managing them correctly.

4 people like this

I mean, if men have a primitive instinct to mate with anyone, doesn't that make waiting till marriage the NEW invention? Aren't we cutting-edge trend setters by saying we believe in waiting until marriage? :D

I agree!! ^^ WTM is cool ;)

So maybe men are tempted more often with sex, and just to be fair, women are tempted more often with something else, like shoes.

But I think anyone is fully capable of resisting their temptations, and it doesn't have to be all that hard.

So in the interest of helping this guy out, I'd like to know more about him.

Because I think if he REALLY had the motivation to wait, he'd wait.

-What does he think about God?

-Does he truly want to wait? Is there a genuine struggle he's making, or does he just blow the topic off?

-Does he recognize any benefits to himself, or society for waiting?

-Does his girlfriend want to wait? Has she told him?

-Does he realize he could shatter her emotionally if he keeps having sex with her, then ends up leaving her?

-Does he know that he could be risking her eternity if he does things to tempt her? If you love someone, you try not to tempt them.

-How much does he really, really care about this girl? Is she just a convenient toy to him, or does he really, seriously intend to see if they're compatible for marriage, and get married?

So, I'd like to know more about his motivations. And I'm thinking in terms of a friend wanting to give him a helping hand. Cause I care about him. I do! I can be a guy, and care about another guy. Yes, that's okay for me to do.

Maybe if we explained to him the reasons he should wait, he'd understand and like the idea (if he doesn't already).

Or is he totally onboard with the idea of WTM, but just doesn't have any confidence in his self control?

:D

While I can agree that God doesn't tempt beyond what you're capable of controlling, (I forget the verse, haha) I do know certain

people have certain sins that are more difficult than others /vices. Like for me, I used to be really addicted to dating sites and still struggle with that, but drugs, alcohol, smoking are all whatever to me. It's in the closet and so it's easier for me to hide that which no one notices and be socially looking pristine on the outside. But I me am yeah exactly as you grow closer to The Lord those strongholds will slowwwwwly slip alway until all you depend on is God. But yeah I had to say that for good measure. Haha

1 person likes this

We are not controlling ourselves. We just decided to follow a moral value. If someone would give you the choice to either choose 1 million euros or to find true love, most people would choose the 1 million, but there is always gonna be a minority who'd choose true love.

We just are the minority who value sex after marriage over premarital sex with whoever you want to. So the question, to me, actually is; why did you make this decision?

It's because I believe in true love and that is the reason why I don't have sex with girls before marriage.

For me it is a constant struggle every day. It is extremely difficult for me to control it. The best way is to avoid temptation. Coming here really helps me to get things off my chest and refocus on why I am waiting. Sometimes I get discouraged from the lack of support in society so coming here really helps. I try to focus my feelings toward being productive as well. I tell myself that I will be able to when I am married so if I am frustrated maybe I should work harder at getting my life set up for marriage. It has actually helped me get a lot of wedding planning done :)