Guest ragtagandbobtail

Being called beautiful?

11 posts in this topic

So I have a question directed mostly towards the ladies so I'll put it in here:

What do you do in a situation when a random man or boy calls you beautiful, hot, sexy, etc?

Do you automatically say thank you or do you ignore it, or? I would just like to see how other ladies take this because I want to know if I'm being rude?

A middle-aged gent walked into our showroom today and said, "Hey, beautiful?" I just responded with <___<; "Hi." I was rather unsure of what to say and Hi just came out impulsively. I wasn't expecting that at all. Of course our accountant knew him, but I didn't. I know older generations usually call younger women and girls these names innocently, like a grandma would call her grandson handsome or something as an example for men. But some stranger just makes me feel uncomfortable because I don't know how I should take it. I just ignore them for the most part, I suppose. It feels weird when it's not your boyfriend or spouse or at least someone you know. Am I being irrational LOL?

And if it's okay for the guys to chime in, have you ever called a random girl beautiful, hot, sexy, etc? How did she react if you did? Would you ever do this?

4 people like this

My first reaction is a red face. I've tried to control it with no success :\ I probably would have said the same thing, said hi with a smile and then scurried off.

Some people get away with this, or maybe they don't think it means anything, but I don't go around commenting to women on how they look. If it isn't a sincere compliment, then it seems like idle talk to me. And if it is a sincere compliment, it would be after getting to know someone well enough for it to mean something.

2 people like this

My first reaction is a red face. I've tried to control it with no success :\ I probably would have said the same thing, said hi with a smile and then scurried off.

ROFL. Oh I'm so glad I'm not alone with blushing! I blush from EVERYTHING. Don't feel bad. Sometimes deep breathing helps, but it's best to just accept this. Are you Irish, by any chance? LOL. I practically did exactly what you said minus the smiling... it was more like a concerned look haha.

Some people get away with this, or maybe they don't think it means anything, but I don't go around commenting to women on how they look. If it isn't a sincere compliment, then it seems like idle talk to me. And if it is a sincere compliment, it would be after getting to know someone well enough for it to mean something.

Yeah I think it can dilute the meaning of a compliment if you go around complimenting everyone but I'm also picky about who gets my compliments, so maybe that's why. I agree, it's best if it is after knowing someone. Thanks for your input!

1 person likes this

I know I'm guy, but I find it hard to give and take compliments too. It's think it's nicer if that person makes you feel the beauty that they see in you. And they try their hardest to make the world seem more beautiful around you.

2 people like this

Pretty lady, cutie, beautiful aren't really names/compliments that I take any sort of offense from. Like it was mentioned before, since I don't know the guy, I'll say thank you or smile and walk away.

The other names like sexy or hot are ones that I can't stand. They're more of what I consider on the spectrum of disrespectful. What's to be flattered about a random person saying that. I tend to ignore those.

On another note, I had an older guy stop me the other day to ask me, very politely I might add, if my boyfriend would mind me talking to him. That was a new one for me!

I can't take compliments well either. I usually thank them and run away. If they call me like hot or something I pretend I don't see them and ignore. Mean, I know lol

1 person likes this

I know I'm guy, but I find it hard to give and take compliments too. It's think it's nicer if that person makes you feel the beauty that they see in you. And they try their hardest to make the world seem more beautiful around you.

Lovely! So you can't take compliments as a guy? Interesting... I guess it's the same for both genders then.

I have a little bit of Irish in me, but mostly I'm 100% mutt lol!

You'd be surprised what that pesky Irish blood can do to alter your blushing ;P even if it is just a small amount.

I can't take compliments well either. I usually thank them and run away. If they call me like hot or something I pretend I don't see them and ignore. Mean, I know lol

Hahah I love the running away part :D. I just see you guys running after this would happen. I suppose it's funnier in my head XD.

Pretty lady, cutie, beautiful aren't really names/compliments that I take any sort of offense from. Like it was mentioned before, since I don't know the guy, I'll say thank you or smile and walk away.

The other names like sexy or hot are ones that I can't stand. They're more of what I consider on the spectrum of disrespectful. What's to be flattered about a random person saying that. I tend to ignore those.

On another note, I had an older guy stop me the other day to ask me, very politely I might add, if my boyfriend would mind me talking to him. That was a new one for me!

Yeah it's funny because one of my old guy friends and I talked about how he thought calling women 'beautiful, hot, sexy, cute' was all the same. I told him, to me personally, it wasn't the same at all. So I understand where you're coming from.

1 person likes this

I think it depends. On the guy, how they USE the word, and how they are looking at me. I mean, it wouldn't bother me (as much) if the tone was sweet and it was 'beautiful', as if it was like appreciating a piece of art. I am, after all, a work of art and God is the artist. I still wouldn't like it, but I could find a little part of me that would say 'Thank you'. On the other hand (and this happens more often), guys seem to think we like to be called 'hot' or 'sexy' more than we actually do. Or, for me that's the way that it is. I feel like those words are accompanied with ogling eyes, and a 'wow, look at that piece of meat' mentality. Then I tend to ignore them.

1 person likes this