Marlene

Half full or half empty?

20 posts in this topic

Today at school our teacher asked us this question about the glass of water and all that. Everyone said half full except me. Come on guys, it is totally half empty. Give me a full water glass!!! So what do you guys say? Half full or half empty?

1 person likes this

If I don't know whether it was filled or drained, I would call it half-filled. I could only use the word "empty" when there's nothing left ^_^

1 person likes this

It's always either full or empty. I don't like to leave things unfinished.

3 people like this

I consider myself optimistic, but if you give me a glass only half-way filled with water, I'm gonna call it half-empty. I'm a thirsty person; I need a whole glass dammit!

2 people like this

I consider myself optimistic, but if you give me a glass only half-way filled with water, I'm gonna call it half-empty. I'm a thirsty person; I need a whole glass dammit!

Exactly!!

I always say half full.

He was just testing whether you are pessimistic or optimistic. So according to this test, YOU ARE A PESSIMIST!!! <_<

I always say half full.

He was just testing whether you are pessimistic or optimistic. So according to this test, YOU ARE A PESSIMIST!!! <_<

I've always seen it half empty even before I really understood pessimism. It's just... not full. Besides half full doesn't sound right

1 person likes this

You really have to know the history of the glass. If it was full, and someone drank or poured out half, then it is half-empty. If someone only poured a half glass to start with, then it is half-full. ;)

2 people like this

I think the glass test is kinda silly for gauging optimism/pessimism.  It's all about perception; what if I say the glass is half-empty because my ideal is for the glass to become fully empty? Maybe I just enjoy water so much that I really want to finish that glass.  ^_^