maul4014

Favorite musical genre?

21 posts in this topic

I have very catholic tastes (pun intended). Anything from Gregorian chant to rock anthems.

I think the genre I have most fun listening to is electronica, and anything else with a strong beat (electro-swing, synth-pop, etc.). They're all great for dancing around in my room to.

But, I also like more folksy stuff, too. They're good for just listening to when you want a song to relax to, and I like stuff with beautiful melodies and lyrics and whatnot.

EXAMPLES:

xxx

2 people like this

It would depend on my mood. The mornings I like to wake up 70s or 80s dance music, techno or modern dance music. The evenings, while I get ready for bed, its blues, jazz, or big band. My car radio is set to klove to keep my mind on Jesus and not on the dumbies on the road. At work the radio is set to oldies or alternative music stations. The only genres I don't really listen to much is rap and country ( I know I'm a weird Texan, I don't eat beef either :o ), I like random songs from those two but don't want to constantly listen to them.

• Classical - Mozart, Bach, Beethoven, anime soundtracks (ALL of Ghibli studio soundtracks  by Joe Haishimi :)- Spirited away, Princess Mononoke, The wind rises, Castle in the sky...) I could listen to these time and time again
  • Pop/Rock- Catchy tunes on the radio which i forget about soon enough. 
  • Techno/ EMD/ Electro/House - Armin, Hardwell, Tiesto. Best study/work music, gets me all pumped up! I would not attend those music festivals though. Too many sweaty people, way too loud and you have to pay $10 for a water bottle. Screw that.

1 person likes this

I have very catholic tastes (pun intended). Anything from Gregorian chant to rock anthems.

I think the genre I have most fun listening to is electronica, and anything else with a strong beat (electro-swing, synth-pop, etc.). They're all great for dancing around in my room to.

But, I also like more folksy stuff, too. They're good for just listening to when you want a song to relax to, and I like stuff with beautiful melodies and lyrics and whatnot.

Hahaha I LOVE music that I can dance to, even if it's not deep and meaningful like an Alice In Chains song <___<. At least we may dance! I also like that you enjoy Gregorian chant music. It's nice to listen to.

Folk is great. Leadbelly and Woody were amazing.

It would depend on my mood. The mornings I like to wake up 70s or 80s dance music, techno or modern dance music.

Disco and funk were awesome LOL. I really enjoy and miss the 80's bands. So many great musicians rose from that era.

As for me, I love all music, really. I grew up on classic rock, hard rock and so I've stayed with that, and I love metal too. I like old school hip-hop, and old country music like Johnny Cash, Pasty, but the new stuff not so much. I also like new-age. I don't know; there's just too much I enjoy. I also love Shiina Ringo. She's like Jjazz? Something? She's everything. LOL. I used to be into Jrock but I guess the only band I've stayed with is MUCC.

My musical tastes are split into two genres: simple, and orchestral. Simple would be anything relaxing, without too many instruments and notes playing at once. Examples would be folkloric music (Mats Paulson, The High Kings, Loreena McKennitt), meditation music (Snatam Kaur, Enya), some classical and choir music (Libera, Charlotte Church) and some pop music (Vienna Teng, Hayley Westenra). If there are more than a handful of instruments and/or harmonies, then it has to be classical or orchestral music. For example, I like Tchaikovsky and Schubert but also Celtic Woman and Two Steps From Hell (though not all of their songs). And I really enjoy some of Hans Zimmer's soundtracks!

The reason behind that classification is that I have very sensitive ears, so listening to music with too many instruments or harmonies is unpleasant to me (literally - my eardrums start to make annoying, painful noises when I hear certain combinations of sounds. I know, it's weird. Lol, even my music teachers couldn't tell me what it was). So if a song has a lot of instruments or harmonies to it, then they need to be really well integrated and work well together. Classical composers paid a lot of attention to that, so I enjoy their music. But rock, hip hop, metal, dubstep, disco, electronica… nope, sorry.

Classic music, soft rock, psychedelic rock, old school hip hop, old school rap, RnB, Turkish folk music, trance, slow, poprock, electro pop, funk, disco.

These are my favs, but my absolute favourites are funk, classic music and soft rock I guess.

Classic music, soft rock, psychedelic rock, old school hip hop, old school rap, RnB, Turkish folk music, trance, slow, poprock, electro pop, funk, disco.

These are my favs, but my absolute favourites are funk, classic music and soft rock I guess.

I would like to hear some Turkish folk. :3

I would like to hear some Turkish folk. :3

Here you go:

This one is Turkish and Greek:

The first one is the one is my favourite song (and the second too). It's a song made from a poem, written by the famous spiritualist Sufi mystic Yunus Emre.

Well, you won't like em I know but you asked and I gave you some :D

1 person likes this

The first one is the one is my favourite song (and the second too). It's a song made from a poem, written by the famous spiritualist Sufi mystic Yunus Emre.

I wasn't the one who asked but thanks so much for sharing! I listened to them all and really enjoyed them, every one of them :D I love that kind of traditional, folk music!

Haha so quick to assume ;P. I actually enjoyed them all AND I've listened to music similar to that. I can see why you like the first one so much, and linked it first ;). You'd be surprised by what I enjoy when it comes to music from other countries. Thanks for linking these. So you can speak Turkish then? Can you speak Greek as well?

I'm similar to you Jegs. I think the musical genre I enjoy listening to the most would probably be folk music, followed by rock and blues. However, my musical tastes vary depending on my mood :).

Oh, thats so sweet CrystalFaerie and ragtagandbobtail :D

I love reading poems and try to play the songs of my spiritual grandmasters, I live with their belief and walk their path, I know I've spammed it so many times here but I'm just telling for new people like you.

And yeah, I have 2 native languages (I'm from Turkmen descent and speak Turkish from Turkey) and sadly I don't understand Greek. :P

Both Turkish and Greek culture got influenced by each other and as you can see it's clearly reflected in some musical genres.

1 person likes this