Guest markb4

Regarding Dangerous/Strength Times

13 posts in this topic

Hey gals,

I notice that in many movies these days, the idea of the strong, tough female is promoted and that whenever there's a situation involving great danger and/or a situation where physical strength is required, the tough females don't want to stay away from it and let the men take care of it. Rather, they get mad if the men want them to stay away from the situation resulting in them attacking the situation full-on and being victorious.

Now, I was wondering, in real life, if there was a situation where you and your man (or other men in your life) were in great danger or a situation where great physical strength was needed, would you feel bad if the man/men wanted you to stay out of it? Would you actually want to take part in the situation? Or would you actually prefer to stay out of it and expect the man/men to suggest as such?

Just curious. It's been on my mind for a few days.

1 person likes this

If it was a situation where the physical strength necessary to complete the task was so great that it would be physically impossible for me to help, then I would understand asking me to sit that one out.  If, however, the situation is dangerous, but it's not impossible for me to help/participate, then I'd want to help and I'd be indignant at being asked to stay away.

1 person likes this

If it was a situation where the physical strength necessary to complete the task was so great that it would be physically impossible for me to help, then I would understand asking me to sit that one out.  If, however, the situation is dangerous, but it's not impossible for me to help/participate, then I'd want to help and I'd be indignant at being asked to stay away.

Interesting viewpoint. Thanks!

1 person likes this

I was taught to be able to take care of myself, so I would like to be able to help as much as possible. I'm not the damsel in distress kind of girl. But on the other hand, I find it charming if the man takes the situation head on and doesn't try to run away.

This is a question that has a very fine line and every woman will have a different opinion.  

I am also perfectly capable of taking care of myself and have called or been called upon by other women who are perfectly capable and we help each other out when no one else is available and I have no problem with that.  However, having said that...if there is a man/men there and he/they decide it's better to lean against a wall and not offer assistance, that's when I have a problem.  I probably would not express my thoughts to him that day, but my opinion of him would be a little lower.  

Haven't you ever heard...

3d9306849e2ed941706fa6a6d321f561.jpg

Danger - well, I'm afraid he's gonna have to kill that spider all by himself!

3 people like this

I believe it depends on the motivation: if he tries to help with the slightest thing, thinking that she is not capable or strong enough to do it, then the woman has every right to call him a jerk. But if a man helps after realizing she is struggling or with the intention to be friendly and helping her, then, in my eyes, that is acceptable.

Dunno if girls' gonna agree :P

2 people like this

3d9306849e2ed941706fa6a6d321f561.jpg

I've never heard this phrase before, but I love it!

Sadly, I have been guilty of just "leaning against a wall and not offering assistance" to a woman while she was doing something because I was afraid she'd get mad at me or something.

I've never heard this phrase before, but I love it!

Sadly, I have been guilty of just "leaning against a wall and not offering assistance" to a woman while she was doing something because I was afraid she'd get mad at me or something.

If a man asks and I refuse help, then no problem with him standing there - I'm not talking little things.  I'm talking like not just one man but two men standing there watching while two women wrestled a very large bed down two flights of stairs and outside to a truck...after being asked to help.  

Okay...rant over!

1 person likes this

Yeah, I'd sit that one out.

I'm pretty independent, and I do a lot of heavy lifting on my own. Sometimes I feel weird letting a man help me with daily household things, but it's mostly because I don't want to make a man do something that I am capable of doing myself, and usually do on my own anyways.

But I work in a male-dominated work environment which, frankly has a lot of tasks that I physically cannot/should not do, and I have for the most part learned when to step back and let men do their thing. I don't want to discourage a man who wants to help lady.

2 people like this

I'm used to doing basically everything on my own, but as a woman, I accept I have my limitations when it comes to using physical strength. So yeah, I'd let a man do the stuff that requires brawn. I'd even consider it very gallant of him if he suggested I stand back, out of consideration for my safety.

At the risk of sounding vain...if it comes to brains that would be a totally different story :P.

3 people like this

I work in a male-dominated work environment

I don't want to discourage a man who wants to help lady.

I do as well and it's always nice to know that chivalry isn't dead.

2 people like this

I also work in a male-dominated environment and the worst part is, the men here are the worst perverts...

Some of em (married ones) even come insisting me on asking a girls number.

Past week, someone got fired because a worker asked a girl if she could have sex with him.

Because of such situations, many of the women/girls are reclusive towards the men who work there, which I find non-surprising in such an environment.

Sometimes, there is a girl struggling with something during work, and I'm like, "Hmm should I help her? But she answers no everytime! But what if she expects me to help her? *exchanging awkward glances*. Hmm she really is struggling, ok here I come:

Here, lemme lend you a helping hand! Her: No, thanks, it's alright."

I really don't know if she's thinking that I think women are not strong enough to do it or that she thinks I'm interested in her so she wards me off or she thinks like, WELL HELLOOO DONT U SEE I'M STRUGGLING HERE? and she expects me to rush to her help without asking 'stupid' questions like 'do you need help?' or she just is a damn strong willed person which I really respect :D

But since I don't know her well enough, I won't know the reason.

It's just, I can't help but offer my help, to ANYONE, if I see him/her struggling (not for small things and not all the time so they won't think they're incompetent)...

3 people like this

Honour:

I don't think you should stop offering to help, especially if you feel you should! If they are offended, that is their problem, and them making an unfair judgement on your motives. 

I turn down help from the guys at work fairly often, but I usually try to make a point to thank them for the offer. 

P.S. The men you work with sound like real winners. I don't think I could handle working in a place like that… 

2 people like this