Natureboy

Early Marriages

10 posts in this topic

I think we should encourage couples to get married when they're ready, preferably after some intensive premarital counseling. "Readiness" will vary from couple to couple.

I also think her first argument is pretty ridiculous. Traveling in your 20s is a GREAT idea. I learned so much about myself and became a better, more empathetic, less naive person by working in France my first two years out of graduation. And I really think it's a bad idea to push "good for society" as any sort of reason to make a life-changing decision.

And growing up together? Making those big decisions as a couple works great... if you both want the same thing. For me, finding a man who had similar goals and expectations in regards to a house, finances, vacations, etc. was important to me. Money problems is the number one cause of divorce, so you really need to be on the same page about how to handle money before you get married.

http://www.twoofus.org/educational-content/articles/too-young-to-get-married-see-what-the-experts-say/index.aspx

6 people like this

I think that it is a good idea. It would give you plenty of time to get used to being married, and also let you get started on financial matters, such as buying a house or paying the car off before you have kids(If you are going to have kids). I also will add that I would rather travel as a couple than alone.

Also considering that the average age at which a woman first gives birth is now 25, a lot younger that the average age of marriage, I think it could help decrease the amount of single parents. Also Jewish sages suggest marriage at the age of 18, but no later than 20. For the Torah, like the Bible says to be fruitful and multiply.

I don't think we should push people into earlier marriages or later marriages; really, it should be about when you meet the right person. I would've definitely liked to get married around 19/20...but since my boyfriend and I knew our families would be in no way OK with that, it wasn't even something worth trying to bring up. It does make me a bit sad that we've had to put it off for so long. I also like her point about being a younger parent and then taking the time to travel -- it is what I would like to do myself. And, since I had an older parent (my mom is 40 years older than I am), having kids at a younger age gives my future kids a much better shot at getting to know her at all.

Not necessarily early marriages, but marriage in general? Yeah.

2 people like this

Do you think our society should encourage younger marriages?

http://tolovehonorandvacuum.com/2014/08/top-10-reawsons-marrying-young/

I personally wish they still did younger marriages (15 or 16 is the youngest). If they think they can have sex or are Old enough for sex they need to get married instead of having so many children so young and out of wedlock.
1 person likes this

I think people should get married when they feel ready and for each couple that may be very different. Some people may want to get married in their 20s and start a family quite quickly, while others wouldn't mind waiting until their 30s or even later. I think it heavily depends in the circumstances surrounding the couple. For instance, I would personally like to finish studying (which will be several years) and be a couple of years into my career before getting married because at this/that point in my life, my career will be my main priority. However, if I meet Mr Right before then, then at least I would prefer to finish school.

I've found it interesting reading other people's preferences though :)

5 people like this

While I do think a couple should marry when they determine it is right and not when someone else tells you it is right, I do think getting married young shouldn't be taken lightly. I don't think wanting to have sex should be a reason to marry. If I had found a guy who I thought was the one for me, I would take my time with the decision and get advice from many people. 

I never wanted to marry before 25. I am 25 now and not any closer to marrying but I am glad I didn't marry before now because I look back and realized how much I have learned and changed. The guys I liked when I was 18 were very different than my choices now would be. That is my preference though. 

I have nothing against those who want to marry young but I would just be careful and make sure you are doing it for the right reasons. If you've been together for a while, i.e. grew up together you probably will be fine. But wanting to have sex is not a good enough reason to marry young. 

9 people like this

I believe in marrying younger especially in this age where delaying marriage till 30 is something that's being pushed.

2 people like this

Like most of my responses, this is no different, and it is simply MY opinion... and I respect your right to yours. :) I think we are all different, and mature at different speeds. Forcing anything on people, that should be a personal decision, rarely works out to be to the benefit of ALL. Which, let's face it, if every leader had the right to govern to his/her personal specifications, or if we had the right to tell others point blank how to live, the world would be in oppression worse than it is, or in mutiny which we are coming to... I think.

I love the differences we have here, and I'm slowly learning the personalities. Even if I don't agree with you, I think you're awesome for sharing your views... because, if any of you are like me, that simple step of sharing isn't so SIMPLE. :) It takes a lot out of me to get involved and share.

Elaboration is not really necessary, so this is all I'll share. MY simple viewpoint. Stay true to you... Change your own mind, if you feel it best. Stick to your guns, when you don't.

3 people like this