Jasmine23

Birth control/condoms as a married man or woman

47 posts in this topic

Just so it's clear, when people refer to the morning after pill, they're usually talking about Plan B -- which is NOT an abortifacient. It's the same exact hormones that are in the normal birth control pills, just in a much larger dose in order to achieve the suppression of ovulation quickly. As long as the medication/device in question is listed as a contraceptive, that means it works primarily by preventing sperm and egg from ever meeting. They do NOT work by killing embryos or fetuses.

5 people like this

Natural Family Planning for me. Skin on skin all the way.

We are skinners! Waaaaiiitttt..... :o

Does anyone want to start a club, or...?

Also...

post-319-0-74289700-1409169932_thumb.jpg

xxx

7 people like this

Also...

attachicon.gifsex is better naked.jpg

xxx

What would we call ourselves? "Skinners" is a bit much Hahaha

Hahaha I love that photo

3 people like this

Also...

xxx

Hahaha I love that photo

How about the "sexy fleshies?" :P

3 people like this

Lol, I don't think most people need much convincing that sex is better without condoms....

Also, that 'groom' looks more like an androgynous woman than a dude to my eyes...I can't unsee it now....  :lol:

1 person likes this

Haha shall I get it printed? Lol

Thanks for providing such helpful information! Do you happen to know anything about the chances of accidental conception with hormonal IUDs? I have heard that it is extremely rare as well, but since they don't have copper, and typically don't suppress ovulation, it's not quite as clear to me how they work....

On a side note, here's a great article that makes a very good pro-life argument for the birth control pill (though it really applies to any effective contraceptive).http://www.patheos.com/blogs/lovejoyfeminism/2012/10/how-i-lost-faith-in-the-pro-life-movement.html

The whole thing is actually a really long piece about how the author lost faith in the pro-life movement (as in, the organized political movement and its leaders, not lay-people who believe life begins at conception). If you don't want to read all that, only read that parts that are titled "Does the Pill Kill?" and "The Biggest Killer: A Woman's Own Body."

The woman's story of lost faith is unfortunate, but not uncommon (it reminds me of another recent thread here referring to the blog of a woman who couldn't get over losing her virginity after she was married).  She believed what she was taught and raised to believe, but never dug deep enough to make the connection to the spirit of the matter.  Then she got to college and surprise, surprise, encountered alternative viewpoints with compelling arguments.  And then she turned her back on it all.

She needed to understand that for those who believe that sex outside of marriage is wrong, handing out condoms to single guys and putting the single women on the pill is like throwing in the towel.  It is like handing out packs of cigarettes and matches to rebellious teens and saying "don't ever smoke, but just in case these are low tar".

Before you take offense, note that I'm talking about pushing contraceptives on single people.  Contraception in marriage is not something I have had need to figure out yet (though I do sincerely hope I am faced with that question one day).  Whether or not to use which contraceptives in a marriage is between a woman and her husband and God.

The blogger speaks disdainfully of people wanting to 'control sex' more than they want to stop abortions, but it really is the same thing. Abstinence is the only 100% effective birth control for singles.

She takes the argument that after sex, women also naturally end up with some percentage of fertilized eggs that don't implant and die, implying that we should not feel bad about knocking off more by choice with pills or devices.  But that is not necessarily the right way to look at it, because while the fertilized eggs that die naturally are out of your control, the ones that die because of a medical choice you made are within your control.  Sometimes women miscarry for natural reasons or reasons unknown, but that doesn't (in my opinion) justify the choice to abort.

2 people like this

Also...

xxx

Hahaha I love that photo

I've heard of it being called 'meat-to-meat' by some people in Africa... :P

1 person likes this

But her whole point was that you are knocking off *fewer* fertilized eggs when using contraceptives than you are just by having unprotected sex, not more. So, then, that actually makes the choice to conceive naturally a bit more morally iffy than having tons of sex with contraceptives, because so many fertilized eggs are likely to fail to implant before one achieves a viable pregnancy. (For the record, I would personally be extremely uncomfortable using any birth control method that results in more failed-to-implant zygotes than what occurs in nature, which is why I was asking 29K about how the hormonal IUD works earlier in the thread.)

And I think the crux of abstinence-only vs handing out condoms argument is that of "Which is the lesser evil?" Surely, if you believe that life begins at conception, consensual protected sex between unmarried adults is the lesser evil when compared to abortion. Even though I despise hook-up culture, I am very glad that my college makes free condoms available in every single dorm, because I would much rather those students only end up suffering from heartbreak, rather than an unplanned pregnancy and perhaps an STD or two on top of that. I would rather try to win people over to the waiting side via a genuine change of heart and mind, rather than attempting to coerce them via taking away all options to the contrary.

3 people like this

I've heard of it being called 'meat-to-meat' by some people in Africa... :P

vleis-tot-vleis (meat-to-meat in afrikaans)

That's impossible. If you decrease the sperm count, which horribly failed during countless experiments, or prevent muscle contractions, which is nearly impossible without having an impact on your erection, it'll take away your fertility, this is proven in scientific tests.

There is a 'hormone' based male control pill that does work, but it'll just make you less man and it'll also have side-effects on your fertility together with some other complications related to the lack of testosterone in your body.

The only absolute method for preventing ejaculation is sterilization. Go for it bro :D

Male birth control is not impossible. There are ongoing scientific trials and research worldwide.

This article summarizes eight different possibilities for male birth control.

This drug in India is the most promising. I've read tons of articles on it in the last few years. The scientist has been working on it for decades, fighting bureaucracy and outdated attitudes along the way. More information available here and here.

2 people like this

So ANYWAY

I'm glad to see some fellow "sexy fleshies!" :D

4 people like this

vleis-tot-vleis (meat-to-meat in afrikaans)

I was thinking more along the lines of Zulu, so it would be something like "nyama kwa nyama". :D

Francois would likely be able to confirm the Afrikaans phrase.

1 person likes this

Haha shall I get it printed? Lol

So ANYWAY

I'm glad to see some fellow "sexy fleshies!" :D

Yes please. My shirt size is medium btw :)

3 people like this

I was thinking more along the lines of Zulu, so it would be something like "nyama kwa nyama". :D

Francois would likely be able to confirm the Afrikaans phrase.

I have a tutor so I'll ask him as well! ;)

Ladies, it all actually depends on your body type. Every women reacts differently to the same birth control pills. I have been using Yasmin pills for over a year as birth control pills, and I should admit it works perfectly. You can find info on these pills on Canada Drugs . It describes all the possible side effects.

In the immortal words of Mark Gungor: "Wearing a condom is like eating an icecream cone with a sock on your tongue.”

I haven't really given contraception much research. I imagine my wife will have done a lot more. The IUD sounds ok. I've also heard that neem is really effective too...

I’m recently married. I had tried birth control years ago for acne. It didn’t help with acne and it messed me up emotionally and made me tired and dizzy. After more research, I decided I didn’t like the the idea of hormonal birth control on both a physical and emotional level. I appreciate knowing my body and I prefer not to mess with the natural cycle my natural hormones influence. Now that I’m married, we’ve been using condoms but they aren’t ideal. I’ve heard too many stories about the IUD that scare me. We are interested in studying Natural Family Planning and possibly trying it, especially when we are closer to being comfortable with a surprise pregnancy. I have a friend who has practiced NFP with her husband for 3 years successfully. I think if it is done correctly and the woman has a consistent cycle, it can be very successful. 

3 people like this

6 hours ago, emily1030 said:

I’m recently married. I had tried birth control years ago for acne. It didn’t help with acne and it messed me up emotionally and made me tired and dizzy. After more research, I decided I didn’t like the the idea of hormonal birth control on both a physical and emotional level. I appreciate knowing my body and I prefer not to mess with the natural cycle my natural hormones influence. Now that I’m married, we’ve been using condoms but they aren’t ideal. I’ve heard too many stories about the IUD that scare me. We are interested in studying Natural Family Planning and possibly trying it, especially when we are closer to being comfortable with a surprise pregnancy. I have a friend who has practiced NFP with her husband for 3 years successfully. I think if it is done correctly and the woman has a consistent cycle, it can be very successful. 

https://www.amazon.com/Taking-Charge-Your-Fertility-Anniversary/dp/0060881909/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1529981872&sr=8-2&keywords=taking+control+of+your+fertility&dpID=516DWYWGBDL&preST=_SX218_BO1,204,203,200_QL40_&dpSrc=srch

I think this book might be helpful. AND congrats on your marriage! 

2 people like this

9 hours ago, JesSea said:

Thanks! We actually just ordered that book a few days ago! We’re excited to learn!

1 person likes this

I'm also recently married. We aren't doing anything....just totally natural. We are just letting it happen so we are prepared to start having kids at any moment. Once we have two, I plan to get snipped so technically we won't even use any birth control ever.

1 person likes this

On 6/26/2018 at 8:15 AM, emily1030 said:

Thanks! We actually just ordered that book a few days ago! We’re excited to learn!

That's great! 

1 person likes this