Are intelligent women more likely to be single?

11 posts in this topic

I've seen a few articles like that. Most of it is bull, but they have one solid point. Women who are more intelligent tend to also be more driven, which means they are most likely to attend college and pursue a career. For most such women, it's near the top of the priority list, which makes developing a relationship less important to them by comparison.

Sorry, I know I'm not a guy. I was just too interested to stay quiet.

I found it depressing too.

2 people like this

Eh, I would take anything from Elite Daily with a grain of salt. They have other articles that say you're a failure if you get married before 30 because your 20s are for establishing your career and only having casual sex. Other articles are extremely misogynistic. The entire website feels catered to a bunch of rich, entitled jerks.

7 people like this

Eh, I would take anything from Elite Daily with a grain of salt. They have other articles that say you're a failure if you get married before 30 because your 20s are for establishing your career and only having casual sex. Other articles are extremely misogynistic. The entire website feels catered to a bunch of rich, entitled jerks.

Yeah, I associate the site with this rage-inspiring gem: http://elitedaily.com/dating/gentlemen/good-girls-unicorns/

1 person likes this

Yeah, I associate the site with this rage-inspiring gem: http://elitedaily.com/dating/gentlemen/good-girls-unicorns/

Oh my goodness, that article is horrific! 

''Sure, I might seem like the bad guy who is willing to sleep with women without caring for them, but I am also a gentleman who knows how to treat a lady with respect and compassion, just like any other true lady should be treated.'' - NOPE. 

​

''Yet, there is something bothersome, to me, in the idea that the woman I will one day marry is as terrible as I am when it comes to relating to the other sex. I know it’s a double standard and I know it might not be right, but there’s a part of me that wants to settle down with someone who hasn’t been ruined by the world and modern society’s casual views on sex — even if I have.'' - Vile attitude.  He can have all his fun and sow his wild oats only to settle down with a 'good girl' when he tires of such behaviour?! I pity the woman who ends up with such a dreamboat.

7 people like this

I believe intelligent women choose wisely on who they want their mates will be.

4 people like this

From what I can tell, the article doesn't seem to differentiate between intelligence and education / career success. However, these are completely different concepts. Intelligence can definitely be attractive. Being able to hold a conversation and have interesting things to talk about can be attractive. In contrast, having a PhD is not attractive. Notice I didn't say it's unattractive, though. It's just simply not relevant as far as attraction goes. Like one of my favorite philosophers (Jerry Seinfeld) said, "Men don't care what a woman does for a living if we're attracted to her. It's like, 'So you work in a slaughterhouse? Sounds interesting!'"

5 people like this

No, I have to agree with the other comments that this article is pretty much hogwash, especially after how she tries to define what women want in the first line.

I personally, in my own opinion, for myself, but not necessarily reflecting the thoughts of any other man on the planet, find intelligent women attractive and intriguing and I certainly don't mind if they know more about some things than I do. And I would have a hard time relating to a woman who didn't have at least some experience of the challenges and suffering that comes in life. I'm sorry I can't generalize that to other men, but I wouldn't want to sound self-important. ;)

But do consider all of the many CSI-type crime procedurals on TV with intelligent female characters deciphering DNA, matching molecules and catching the crooks with their minds rather than their muscles. I would guess these characters are also pretty popular with the guys too.

1 person likes this

I agree with the article critiques, and particularly the distinction pointed out between intelligence and education. I've known plenty of very intelligent people without advanced degrees, and plenty of PhDs who aren't very bright at at all.

I will say that, to the extent that there might be an association between intelligence and single-ness, it may have more to do with people being choosier because they have a better/more grounded idea of what they want. Also, the point about the dating pool shrinking as you age is certainly true. Once you leave uni (assuming you decide to attend), you're no longer surrounded by exceedingly high concentrations of people roughly your own age with more or less similar interests/intelligence levels to your own. And in my experience, people I do meet who fit that description are far less likely to be single, leaving those of us left behind...far /more/ likely to be. O.o

Regardless: If a man finds intelligence threatening, I'm generally not interested anyway. I'd want to be with someone who appreciates intelligent and engaging interaction in his various relationships...otherwise things would get boring [for me anyway] real fast.

5 people like this

I didn't read the article, but I would say women who are more cautious tend to be more often single. Being intelligent and knowing what's out there can certainly make a person more hesitant to fall head over heels for someone.

3 people like this

Yes intelligent women are more likely to be single.

Intelligent people think too much. Non-intelligent women can easily be satisfied with small things. Intelligent women seek passion & love. Of course, non-intelligent women can taste love and passion too, but not as likely as intelligent women since they don't think/overthink as much as them.

2 people like this