Belle Femme

What is the Single Unifying Belief in Your Religion/Faith?

12 posts in this topic

I find it interesting/disheartening that some people try to claim someone else isn't really of their religion because of reasons. Within Christianity, there are Catholics, Orthodox believers, Presbyterians, Baptists, non-denominational believers, Mormons, and hundreds of other designations, each with a specific, slightly different theology.

I don't know much about other religions, and I'm interested to learn more!

How would you describe the most important aspect of your religion?

For example, as a Christian, my most important beliefs are:

1) God is our Creator

2) Jesus is our Savior

Is there more than that? Of course, but those are the absolute core tenets of my faith.

What are yours?

3 people like this

I think the most important universal tenant that all Christians believe can be summed up in this verse:

"Jesus answered, 'I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. If you really know me, you will know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.'” -John 14:6-7

11 people like this

Hm, well, I don't identify as having a religion...I'd say the single biggest misbelief about atheism is that it *is* a religion, rather than a single solitary belief. So, the only thing you need to believe in order to be an atheist, is that there isn't enough evidence to support the existence of a deity (or deities). An atheist can believe in reincarnation, karma, an afterlife, psychic powers, UFOs, or ghosts, or disbelieve in evolution or gravity. None of that matters. All that matters is if you believe in a deity or deities (which makes you a theist, and that can be further subdivided between polytheists and monotheists depending on if you believe in multiple gods or only one god), aren't sure either way (agnostics), or don't believe there is currently enough evidence (which makes you an atheist).

2 people like this

As a non-denominational, formerly Southern Baptist Christian, and I know this statement is cliché around the Christian community but it's true.

That it's not so much about having a religion but a relationship, an intimacy with God.

And it's true.

That's the universal connecting factor at my church.

Well that and it's okay to not be okay!

5 people like this

Hellenic polytheist here. There are three basic tenets of my faith: piety, tradition, and virtue. In other words, honour the Gods, respect the tradition and live a virtuous life. They all go hand in hand, since by honouring the Gods you are respecting the tradition, and by living a virtuous life you are honouring the Gods :)

As a Pagan in general, I think what unites us all is our respect for all forms of life, including animals and plants.

3 people like this

There is only one God who created everything and to him belongs all worship and praise, no partner/children/parents does He have, and to Him we all will return after we die to answer for our lives.

4 people like this

Hm, well, I don't identify as having a religion...I'd say the single biggest misbelief about atheism is that it *is* a religion, rather than a single solitary belief. So, the only thing you need to believe in order to be an atheist, is that there isn't enough evidence to support the existence of a deity (or deities). An atheist can believe in reincarnation, karma, an afterlife, psychic powers, UFOs, or ghosts, or disbelieve in evolution or gravity. None of that matters. All that matters is if you believe in a deity or deities (which makes you a theist, and that can be further subdivided between polytheists and monotheists depending on if you believe in multiple gods or only one god), aren't sure either way (agnostics), or don't believe there is currently enough evidence (which makes you an atheist).

Yeah, most people think atheism is a very narrowly defined belief rather than a broad spectrum. They automatically assume atheism means one who doesn't subscribe to a religion when in fact all it means, as you said, a non-belief in a deity or supreme being. There are many religions that do not believe in a deity and can be considered an atheist religion such Buddhism and Confucianism. And no, the Buddha was NOT a deity contrary to popular belief.

There is only one God who created everything and to him belongs all worship and praise, no partner/children/parents does He have, and to Him we all will return after we die to answer for our lives.

Is that from the Koran?

3 people like this

Is that from the Koran?

It's a summary of a couple of different verses in the Koran.

as far as i'm concerned, i do not follow a "religion". but 2 answer ur question, as i was raised in a baptist family, what often comes up is : "every man & woman in Christ is a new creation, old things have past away, a new child is born".

to sum up, your way of life shouldn't be the same as an unbeliever.

however, having travelled for my studies, i ended up in a "penticostal" Church (i think penticostal because of the manifestation of the Holy Spirit & the speaking in tongues that we not see in baptist churhes). From my point of view, what comes up first is "your heart".

in the fisrt case the outward appearance is what they highlight. In the 2nd one, it's the inward appearance that counts.

hope that helps u. and thanks 4 this question. i am curious to know the others.

God bless u

1 person likes this

I agree anyone can be religious, it's not hard. But rather the central idea of Baptist Christianity is to have an intimate relationship with God. Realizing that everyone on this earth has sinned and is in need of a Savior is key. He first loved us and that's why born again Christians crave a knowledge of God.

5 people like this

The main tenet of the Orthodox Church, from what I can gather, is that the eternal, triune-yet-one God, through the person of God the Son, became the God-man Jesus Christ to save His creation from sin and death, and that He restores the immortal image of God in us to glory if we are a part of His Bride, the Church.

4 people like this