Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Buster Cannon

Is it important that your spouse knows how to cook?

16 posts in this topic

I saw this topic pop up in the "what if you married someone who didn't wait" thread, and decided to make a separate thread because it's an interesting topic.

For me, the answer is yes.  Growing up, both of my parents cooked/baked on a regular basis, so I never saw it as a "woman's job", so to speak.  I view cooking as an essential life skill that everyone should have at least at a basic level.  She doesn't have to be an expert or anything, just someone who at least knows what they're doing and are open-minded.  There's also the nutritional aspect, cooking meals at home is a lot healthier, and I'd like to raise my kids on home-cooked meals as opposed to eating out a lot. Oh yeah, it's cheaper too.  :lol:

4 people like this

I'm the same. Both of my parents cook so I don't want to be the only one in the kitchen. And eating out all the time is expensive, especially if you want to eat healthy.

4 people like this

My boyfriend knows nothing about cooking (I had to teach him how to make Mac & Cheese and scrambled eggs just recently). However, what matters to me is that he is willing to learn, rather than just dumping me in the kitchen. I'm not exactly a great chef myself yet anyways, though I would like to be better.

2 people like this

I'd really love a guy who could make food. I have no idea what I'm doing in the kitchen, and I'm anemic, so I'm usually too tired to make burger or a steak. :( It would be fun to learn. :)

1 person likes this

Yeah, definitely cheaper to eat at home, but if money isn't an issue it matters less. As far as healthy vs. unhealthy goes, it just depends. Just about every restaurant offers at least a few items that would be considered healthy by most standards. I went from 205 to 170 lbs eating nothing but Subway for an entire summer 3 years ago lol. I happen to know a lot of families who cook homestyle meals at home on a regular basis, and let's just say they're not examples of people in good health.

The problem I have personally with eating at home is that I prefer ethnic food to American food, and spicy food to non-spicy food. Therefore, if I'm craving Chinese take-out or authentic Mexican food, which is often, there isn't much I can do at home. What if I'm craving pizza? Home-made pizza is horrible lol. Plus, there are certain things that aren't cheaper to make yourself and pizza is probably one of them.

Lastly, preparing a full-course meal can destroy an entire night, time-wise. Especially when you work until 5 every night, and still want to fit in a jog, shower, etc. Imagine all the time you'll save if you just visit your favorite restaurant, provided you don't have to drive far...

e6aece393d657f9ca2b40eabb2456d6860363267

If they don't know how I'll just learn. Eating out is too expensive and too unhealthy to do all the time anyway.

My husband and I are both good cooks. I didn't really see it as a requirement, as long as he didn't expect me to prepare 3 meals a day, 7 days a week. We've only been living together since the end of February, but right now we split cooking dinner very evenly. Some nights we cook together, some nights I cook, and some nights he cooks. He leaves for work before I have to get out of bed for my job, so we each handle our own breakfast. I work from home, so if we decide to eat something for lunch that requires a little prep (frozen pizza or mac&cheese, basically), I get that started. Usually we both have leftovers or sandwiches, though, which we each make ourselves.

I'm really glad he can cook, though, primarily because it's one way he demonstrates his love for me. Especially when we were still medium-distance, and I was working two jobs, he would often surprise me with a clean apartment and a home-cooked meal on Saturday or Sunday night when I came back after being on my feet for 6-8 hours. Other times, I would wake up Saturday morning to the smell of bacon and find a vase full of roses on the set table, with breakfast ready to be served. My husband is very romantic. :)

Not a requirement but it's a plus. Personally, i am an average cook. I can cook up something yummy but I don't normally enjoy it except for on special occasions. 

I'm the cooker and Baker so no but I would love for him to want to learn from me. but if he can cook.... he better be ready for a showdown with JazzyJ!

1 person likes this

I can cook it just depends, I'm more a meat type of guy. I can bake certain thing I make some pretty good muffins. So I don't care all to much it'd be great I can cook enough to get by though.

Not really necessary, though it would be nice. Cooking is one of those life skills I still need to work on, though I get a lot of compliments on my baking.

Ha ha, I think I know where this came from XD

My opinion is that the guy doesn't need to know how to cook, but he should be open to sharing the burden. I have no problem taking on most of the cooking (though if he did the dishes, that would be nice). It just... might not always be successful ^^;

As you said, it's not a specific gender's job to do it but rather something that everyone should be able to do.

I can make delicious food and sometimes I make ready dinner for our guests since they like it so much.

I would keep dropping things, until he just gave up and made the food himself. Same with children.

1 person likes this

I love to cook, so I wouldn't mind too much if my spouse didn't know how. I'd appreciate if he had an interest in learning a bit and cooking with me sometimes though. That can be a really fun activity.

I agree that it doesn't HAVE to be a specific gender's role to cook, but I enjoy it so I'd gladly take on the role.