ChristianMan72

How likely are you to call a guy if he gives you his number...

11 posts in this topic

Following on a recent post that suggested, esp. in some cases, it is better for a guy to give a girl his number than to ask for hers... is that the way most women feel?  And how likely or in what circumstances are you likely to follow through and call / text / Facebook him?

I like the idea that it shows a woman dignity and allows her the opportunity to think about it, especially when she's at work and can't really escape the attention, but does it work? Are there situations where you would rather a guy asked for your number instead of giving you his?

I like the idea of the guy giving me the number so I don't have to deal with the anxiety of waiting. Though a mutual swap would be cool :D

With the advent of cell phones, which means you can send a low-risk text message to gauge interest, if I were still single, it wouldn't matter to me one way or the other. I do think if I were still working in retail, and it was a customer hitting on me, I would prefer he give me his number so I don't feel pressured.

A mutual exchange of numbers is nice because regardless of who initiates contact, you already have that saved in your phone so you know who is calling. Like in High School Musical!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

2 people like this

Talking on the phone gives me severe anxiety, so I don't think I would be able to call him. The nerves of talking to him combined with the nerves of just talking on the phone would send me completely over the edge. I would prefer him text me to start. (I realize this is probably the opposite of what most "date" sites say, but this is what would make me most comfortable.) If he did call and I knew it was him (because I don't answer for numbers I don't know) I would answer, but it still wouldn't be my preference.

3 people like this

I actually like talking on the phone, but I'm not a huge fan of initiating phone calls when I don't know the person all that well; I always think I'm calling at a terrible time. As such, I much prefer to give out my phone number and let him call me whenever it's convenient for him. A mutual exchange of numbers is also fine for this. The only time I take a number from a guy without giving him mine in exchange is when I'm not really considering talking to him ever again anyways. 

I'm not afraid to text (or as the prompt actually said, call. But I'm a teenager and most boys my age would be a little confused by getting an actual phone call) first the first time or sometimes after that, but if I have to start every conversation it's a problem. If I have to text first every time, I have officially become the crazy girl with a huge (probably not mutual) crush on you. Most of the time, this ends up making me the disposable girl, who is available if no one better is. Not surprisingly, this is a situation I like to avoid.

So while I can and sometimes will text first, really it's just much better if the guy will.

I'll never let a guy give me his again unless it's the "mutual swap" thing. Things were wrong because I had to make the first move. I believe the guy should be the initial pursuer.

1 person likes this

I'll never let a guy give me his again unless it's the "mutual swap" thing. Things were wrong because I had to make the first move. I believe the guy should be the initial pursuer.

Doesn't the giving of the number without being asked qualify as the first move? In certain situations it's just better to leave it in the girl's hands, since some of them are so hesitant to give out their number on the spot. This way they can take some time and think about it. Besides, since girls have the option of texting instead of calling, which is what I'd think most would opt for, I'd hardly see it as a girl pursuing a guy. Just text a "hi, it's so and so" and let him take it from there.

1 person likes this

Call, definitely not. Text, perhaps. Honestly it all depends on the interest level. If I like the guy, and he gives me his number, I would definitely text him at some point. If I'm not interested, I'm not going to text him.

I actually do prefer it when a guy asks me for my number in a normal situation, but only if I like him already. If I don't like him in that way, all I can think is "Oh great, now he's going to be texting me all time." I know it's kind of a sad thing to think, but some people don't ever get the hint, even after 5+ consecutive texts that are left without replies.

So yes, I get all giddy when a guy I like asks me personally for my number, but I don't think it makes up for the awkwardness of giving out my number to a guy I'm not even remotely interested in.

1 person likes this