Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cody

More Members!

3 posts in this topic

Does anybody have any ideas on how we could get the word out about this site? It sure would be neat if we good get more people to join the forums. I don't think just waiting for them to come to us will be the fastest way (this applies to real life too! :P).

I've tried to get a few of my friends involved but have found that we need people who are actually interested in a community and who are reasonably familiar with a message board or forum. It seems to me that the easiest way would be to start threads on other forums and direct people here. Don't know how well that would go over though. I can definitely see some flame wars starting.

Anyhow just thought I'd throw this out there. If anyone has ideas post them! I know I would've preferred to find this site a long time ago rather than stumbling across it as a result of a google search. Hope everyone is having an excellent Tuesday. :)

Hey Leo,

The good news is that traffic to this site is increasing steadily. The site may be small on membership now, but in terms of age and content density, the site is still a baby (so it's just beginning to attract members). The more quality content we add, as articles or as forum posts, the more traffic we will attract.

In terms of SEO, our quickest way to new members would be to tackle articles with popular themes. Funny enough, the keyword search that brings in the most people to this site is "Lisa Kudrow Virgin".

In the same vein, I suspect we'll get a very nice keyword-traffic boost when we put together the the Twilight article. The Celebrity bio section, if we keep working on making it comprehensive, can be a powerful attractor for the site (from Google searches anyway).

Beyond that, we could definitely use some quality links out on other sites pointing back here like you mentioned --- external links can often provide a much greater traffic boost than keyword targeting can. My dilemma there is I don't want to be spammy and self-promoting. If people feel compelled to share links where it's relevant because they like the site...then of course I'm all for that. So I guess I'm not going to go posting links, but if you guys want to I heartily encourage it!

Also, if you can think of any sites where it might make sense for us to do a permanent link or an ad banner in their sidebar, let me know and I'd be up for contacting them and seeing what kind of deal I could strike.

One resource I thought of for this is church sites. I want to keep this site secular because I want it to be useful to everybody (of all faiths and lack thereof). That includes atheists, but it also includes religious people. If the site gets good enough, I think it would make sense for churches to link out to it as a resource.

Maybe I could create some WaitingTillMarriage.com banners for people to copy-paste onto their sites. :)

Anyhow, those are just my thoughts. I'm VERY open to suggestions, so fire away if you've got any ideas!

I’m trying to do my part by adding quality content! It’s good to hear that the traffic is slowly rising. That’s funny that Lisa Kudrow is the site’s meal ticket!

I didn’t really want to do the Twilight article but I think you’re right; it will probably get a lot of views. I have read all the books and although I haven’t seen the movies, that would be an easy fix. I’d love to collaborate with somebody else who’s read them, as I don’t have a ton of time due to school. If there are any volunteers I’d love to get started on this as I think it will be a good addition to the site. We could use google docs to work together. I think I’ll also be able to provide some unique insight into the books as I have a pretty comprehensive knowledge of the LDS church which is what the author, Stephenie Meyer, belongs to. While she doesn’t push her religion in the story the values are apparent.

I totally understand the aversion to being spammy and self-promoting. That can get annoying real fast. I’ve been trying to think of places where we could at least introduce the topic and I’ve been drawing a blank. I suppose we’ll have to shelve that idea for later.

As for the permanent link or ad banner the best place that I could think of would be on dating sites, Christian or otherwise. Where else would waiting people congregate? I do think that if a waiting person sees an ad that looked legitimate they would be fairly likely to try it out. Since we are such a quiet people, I believe that most people who are waiting would be pretty interested in an online community where they can speak their mind without being criticized.

I’m glad that you want to keep the site secular! It’s hard enough to find anything at all on waiting for somebody who is nonreligious. I don’t know how many times I tried keywords like ‘waiting atheists’ & ‘virgin atheists.’ I actually can’t even remember what brought me to this site. Glad I found it though!

I like the idea of banners. That might be a good way to get the word out if there are any members that would be willing to use them in other areas of their online lives. Maybe you could make something that people could use as a signature in other forums that would say something like, “Waiting till marriage, and still going strong!†or “There’s only one girl for me, and I’m still looking.†Those are both terrible, I know.

I'll keep brainstorming, I'm excited about the potential that this site has!