6 posts in this topic

Okay so I will need your wise advice for this it's kind of personal...

So somebody close to me in my family has what I would call a problem with alcohol, I mean she drinks so much every night or even in the morning(sometimes even at 7 am!). Of course she takes weight and everybody noticed her problem. It does bother me (and not only me) because firstly I don't like to see her like that, then I just can't stand her when she is like that(don't want to see her, to hear her talk, nothing!!)...

You probably gonna tell me to talk to her but me and my sisters did and it hurt her soo bad she even cried, she said it was her only rest and that she never humiliated us by falling or being drunk in a party, that she was only like that at home (she is always there except when she works).

My problem is in 2 months my twin and I are moving out  in an other country to study(if God is willing to),she is going to be alone in the house,I'm afraid she will go stronger into "her thing" moreover she has a weak health, doesn't have friend... I don't know what to do...I'm lost and I do not want to lose her....what would you do if you were in that situation?

I'm sorry, you can only help someone if they want the help. The only thing I can think of is having a trusted friend or family member check in on her from time to time. Maybe you could check in with her daily,via phone?

I'm sorry to hear about your family member. It is difficult to see someone you care about fall deeper into a destructive habit. It's clear that she needs professional help like a counselor or something. I don't know the whole situation but the challenge might be the fact that she may not want help or she may be denying she has a problem at all. She can't begin the road to recovery until she admits she has a problem. I would try talking to social services for professional advice on how to deal with this situation. I hope everything works out.

1 person likes this

Thank you guys! I guess I'll have to do just like in that episode of desperate housewives with Brie make her face her issue!

1 person likes this

I hope things get better Divadreamer and I am sure this family member is happy to have some one like you in her life that cares for her and wants the best for her.

I would try to find the underlying reason for her resorting to alcohol.  It seems like she may be depressed or have self-esteem issues and is relying on alcohol as a form of escape.  

1 person likes this