How pets effect your dating/love life!

20 posts in this topic

I found a really interesting article on Dogster, http://www.dogster.com/the-scoop/dog-cat-people-pets-dating-match-com-petsmart-survey, about how animals can change your perception of a potential mate.

I thought it was interesting that 48% of women trusted their animal's instincts on their potential partners. 72% of women think dogs are the best pet a guy can own.

I should hang out with my heeler more. :P

Have pets or a lack thereof affected any of your relationships?

It hasn't been an issue thus far, but I'm both a dog and cat lover. I've always had pets, so if I was with someone that didn't like animals...well, so long man. I'll stick with my pets!  :P

1 person likes this

Ive always been more attracted to guys that have dogs. And less attracted to guys with cats. That seems weird but its true. lol

I had a cat guy like me and I wasn't attracted to him anyway but his obsession over his 3 cats def sealed it for me. :/ Sorry cat guys. I would be willing to have a cat one day though.

Of course, its not a deal breaker unless he won't let me have my dog. :/

1 person likes this

It's always cute to see a guy who love his animals BUT I am so scared of dogs and big cats (anyway most of animals) so it could be a deal breaker! But at the same time maybe we could fall in love even more as he teaches me how his pets are not to be scared of ;)

1 person likes this

Pets are a big deal to me; I could never date anyone who wouldn't be OK with having dogs and cats. It always makes my heart melt to see my boyfriend treat my cat kindly.  :wub:

2 people like this

I can deal with both cats and dogs, and they generally like me. But my dog is my baby, had her since she was a puppy. Don't like my dog, I probably won't like you.

Dog guys...yes - Cat guys...maybe (ummm)

Btw I'm a hardcore dog girl..I used to HATE cats but now I just dislike them. :D

2 people like this

I love most animals so I would be fine with almost any pet.  Having said that, if I found out he had a pet tarantula I would run for the hills!

6 people like this

I love most animals so I would be fine with almost any pet.  Having said that, if I found out he had a pet tarantula I would run for the hills!

That says it all right there!

However, I do think that my dogs are great judges of character so if they really disliked him...

3 people like this

Same, I'd be totally cool if my wife wanted a pet around the house.  At the same time, stuff like tarantulas, snakes, large rats, and other creepy crawlers are a no-no.

*shudders*

4 people like this

I'm allergic to cats and dogs D: here's hoping should I found myself having to live with a pet owner we can figure something out...

2 people like this

I remember one time in college, my roommate was dog sitting for one of his friends. At the time, he was making it his life's mission to get laid before graduation since we was still a virgin. So he tried to use the dog to get girls' attention by walking the dog around campus. Now being the gallant and virtuous knight that I am, I felt compelled to intervene. So I walked with him and every time a girl stopped to pet the dog and say all the cutesy things that girls do. I would say things like, "Yeah, it's his boyfriend's dog" or "I'm sorry, we're late to our Dungeons and Dragons meet." Basically anything to make him look unattractive to girls. He refused to speak to me for a week. You're welcome ladies, wherever you all are :P

Looking back, I might use the same tactic someday. I am a dog person. The difference is that I would do it purely to win a lady's heart :)

5 people like this

Oh come on, cats are superior to dogs in every way. Outside of the litter box, they don't smell at all. It's like having an alive stuffed animal. They don't shed as much, or slobber, either. They don't eat like savages, you don't have to let them outside, and you can leave for a couple days without having someone house-sit. Again, AN ALIVE STUFFED ANIMAL.

Cats are more temperamental than dogs and will hold grudges against you if you treat them bad, so just don't treat them bad. I've had mine since it was a kitten and it's far more friendly/lovable than any dog I used to have.

Why would guys with dogs be seen as more attractive? Are dogs associated with masculinity? Is it because owning a dog is one of the several symbols associated with the American dream? Whatever the reason, it's probably an enormous stereotype. Besides, now there's proof that people with cats are, on average, more intelligent, sophisticated people: 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/29/cat-people-dog-people-intelligence_n_5412245.html

I don't hate dogs though, other than Dogecoin lol.

4 people like this

Wow, I can't believe that many people liked what I said, lol.

For what it's worth, I'm expecting God to release a pack of hungry dogs on me any moment now. :)

1 person likes this

Even though I didn't grow up with pets and don't currently own any, I am not opposed to him having something. As long as it's not a cat. They make me feel uneasy with their slinky bodies and beady lil eyes and they just look mischievous. Besides, i'm allergic.

And now that I bad mouthed cats, i'm expecting a rain cloud to position itself over my head (like for Eeyore) and instead of rain, cat urine will fall freely from it. Hahaaa! :D

2 people like this

Same, I'd be totally cool if my wife wanted a pet around the house.  At the same time, stuff like tarantulas, snakes, large rats, and other creepy crawlers are a no-no.

*shudders*

YES. Those things are so creepy, I'd never want to have one. Ever.

Oh come on, cats are superior to dogs in every way. Outside of the litter box, they don't smell at all. It's like having an alive stuffed animal. They don't shed as much, or slobber, either. They don't eat like savages, you don't have to let them outside, and you can leave for a couple days without having someone house-sit. Again, AN ALIVE STUFFED ANIMAL.

Based on most of what you just said, I think that my cat might actually be a dog. She doesn't use a litter box, she slobbers all the time especially when she's really happy, she does have to go outside (she's both an indoor and outdoor cat and would be extremely angry with us if we refused to give her equal amounts of time in both settings), and she even drinks out of the toilet if given the opportunity.

I love all my pets at home, but unfortunately I'm allergic to our dog. I hope to find a way around my dog allergy, because I do really love dogs, but I don't think my allergy would ever affect a relationship.

Also, I'm obsessed with Pomeranians, so my future husband HAS to be okay with the idea of owning a Pomeranian. If not, sorry, but I choose the dog.

1 person likes this

Thanks for all of the comments guys. I totally wasn't thinking about people who had a fear or allergies towards pets. That would definitely be a deal breaker for me unless it was something they would be willing to cope with. There are plenty of breeds that are hypoallergenic and the fear issue would probably go away with exposure. :D  My current dog is only 5 or 6 years old so I'd at least have him for the foreseeable future.  I'm not willing to break a commitment to my four legged friends by putting them in a shelter either!

I'm not opposed to cats as I had a barn cat growing up. He was definitely mischievous and a serious predator to our chickens! I have to agree with Egirly in regards to starting out with a mild hatred toward cats. :P My barn cat helped get rid of that aspect of my relationship with cats but, I definitely prefer dogs to cats. If I had to have a cat he would have to be self sufficient and not one I would have to worry about being outside. 

I understand the "benefits" of having a cat that thecrowing outlined. I think the reason I like dogs so much is because of what others may consider "flaws." I enjoy taking care of them and they love being a participant in the family. As far as masculinity goes, I'm not sure why they are considered more masculine. If I had to guess it's likely a result of how they were integrated into society to begin with. A large majority of dogs were bred with hunting,herding, or protection in mind. Each of those activities/jobs are traditionally male so it's likely that women and men associate dogs with those occupations without making a conscious effort.

Some breeds of cats really love being "part of the family" as well. I've had two Russian Blues, and they are incredibly friendly; almost like dogs. My mom's Russian Blue follows her everywhere, always sits in her lap whenever he has the chance, and even runs to the door when my friends come over so he can greet them and be petted. Russian Blues have incredibly soft coats as well -- much more so than normal cats, even.

LOL I agree, tarantulas (and snakes, especially big ones) are OUT! Everything else is all good though - love me, love my pets!

How pets affect your dating/love life!- The more pets you have the worse your dating life is :lol: 

I really find it a turn off when someone is really obsessed with their pets (fur babies as some call them <_< ) I would really prefer that someone I was dating didn't have pets, or at the very least that those pets aren't ones that require much time and care. If I ever get pets it will be after I get married and settled. A pet may wear a leash, but a pet owner is also on a leash too- a pet owner's mobility and freedom is restricted because they have to take care of their pets.