Buster Cannon

Would you stick to your WTM convictions in a zombie apocalypse?

48 posts in this topic

what are you talking about, that already happens...

Well hopefully, I won't have to resort to such "extreme" measures.  I still want to be a WTM guy! :)

3 people like this

I'd still wait. No one is forcing me to wait now, it's what I chose and I will stick with that decision till the day I die. God forbid we ever find ourselves in a situation like you described, but the marriage would still be valid, since in my religion, the ceremony and vows and everything are religious. Of course the legal papers would be the only thing missing, but in a Zombie apocalypse, I doubt it would matter much if you're fighting zombies to survive.

3 people like this

Yeah id like to die with a bang ;)

But I also would like to thinki should,but I probably would

Redyellowblue ::sigh:: you freaky freaky woman! ;-)

1 person likes this

I mean, I'm already married, but this is such a fun question!

In an alternate universe in which I'm single and there are zombies, and I somehow survive long enough to fall in love, then I would just do our version of a wedding ceremony, whatever would be possible under the circumstances. Making a vow and commitment to my husband before God is the most important defining moment of marriage, at least to me.

3 people like this

I see myself as being even less up for a casual relationship in the event of a major global crisis such as a zombie apocalypse. In such a scenario, having a life partner/team mate would become even more important, because we'd have to have each other's backs against the zombies! And I definitely wouldn't want to risk becoming a single mom in the middle of the apocalypse, and I imagine birth control would become scare, so picking a partner wisely is extremely important from that perspective too. What's most important to me is the commitment, so I wouldn't feel the need for anything more than saying vows to each other in order to feel married in that case.

2 people like this

So this zombie apocalypse thread got me thinking about another apocalypse movie: Seeking a Friend For the End of the World.  The basic premise of the movie (and I don't think this is a spoiler, since you learn all of this in the first few minutes of the movie) is that an asteroid is headed towards Earth.  All attempts to destroy the asteroid before impact (a la the movie Armageddon) have failed. The asteroid WILL hit the earth in a couple of weeks, the planet WILL be destroyed, and the human race WILL cease to exist.  The movie chronicles how two people (and their friends and family) decide to spend their last few weeks of life.  How would you spend your last few weeks? If you were unmarried, would you still WTM?

While I'm pretty sure I wouldn't start sleeping with anyone and everyone (as depicted in the movie clip above), if I'm being honest, I don't think I'd WTM either (although in the movie they do depict people getting quickie wedding ceremonies).  I might even lower the bar from love to like/respect.  :superwaiter:  Don't judge!

3 people like this

Probably one of my favorite movies. I had secretly hoped they all wouldn't really die but... :(

1 person likes this

Well nothing would make me change my mind about my WTM convictions. I know what I am doing is the right thing and would be prepared to die knowing I am still fulfilling what I believe in. As that quote goes from Martin Luther King, If you have got nothing worth dying for for, your life isn't worth living. That is one of a couple of  things I will stay with to the end. It is not like when I know I am going to die that I will look for somebody to lose my virginity to. That ain't gonna happen. But alternatively I can always get married to my soul mate, given the opportunity, before the zombies finally overrun us.

4 people like this

Oooh I love Walking Dead!

I think in a zombie apocalypse I would sleep around with each and every guy I laid my eyes on (provided he wasn't a zombie).... haha jk I wouldn't.

Not sure if I'd still wait til marriage though, I might just wait for a guy I really genuinely cared about. I just feel like in a scenario as extreme as that all hope and all sense just kind of gets thrown out the window. It's like, well I have a pretty high chance of dying soon anyway so at least I can enjoy these few minutes of happiness. Sorry guys, but if we ever enter a zombie apocalypse, I'm probably falling off the bandwagon. :P

3 people like this

Oooh I love Walking Dead!

I think in a zombie apocalypse I would sleep around with each and every guy I laid my eyes on (provided he wasn't a zombie).... haha jk I wouldn't.

Not sure if I'd still wait til marriage though, I might just wait for a guy I really genuinely cared about. I just feel like in a scenario as extreme as that all hope and all sense just kind of gets thrown out the window. It's like, well I have a pretty high chance of dying soon anyway so at least I can enjoy these few minutes of happiness. Sorry guys, but if we ever enter a zombie apocalypse, I'm probably falling off the bandwagon. :P

Heh, don't feel bad Allisha. I don't know anyone who wouldn't at least seriously consider falling off the bandwagon. I just hope I wouldn't accidentally get a girl pregnant...

2 people like this

My commitment to God and my future wife doesn't change because the state of society does. I will wait as long as it takes to find the right girl and a moment when I'm not mowing down zombies. I don't think a legal document is necessary for us to be considered married. At the very least, we will say our vows to each other in God's presence.

10 people like this

I'm assuming that I wouldn't survive the zombie apocalypse, in which case, I wouldn't hook up with the first guy I saw but I wouldn't wait till marriage either. If there was someone that I liked, and that I had liked and committed to for the last wee while, I would be okay with doing it.

I think the difference is in the reasons we're waiting. Those who are waiting for religious reasons obviously wouldn't change their values, because God's values are the same whether there's a zombie apocalypse or not. Those who are waiting for more secular reasons are more likely to not WTM because many of their reasons revolve around long-term issues (like in this article Mike posted), and in an apocalypse, "long-term" isn't exactly guaranteed.

For example, if I knew 100% that I was going to survive the apocalypse (it would have to be a very low-key one for that :P) I would still wait, because there would still be an "after". But if the majority of the population is going to die, I'm likely to be in that majority and in that case my perspective would be different.

But no matter what, I would never give myself to the first thing that moves. I wouldn't want to die knowing that I did such a thing, and if I did end up having extramarital sex during a zombie apocalypse, it would definitely be in the context of a committed relationship.

5 people like this

I would find the best possible male in the area. We would make our vows, principal being "'til death do us part," and then get it on. "We only have this moment."  But one of us would get bitten first, so awkward. 

1 person likes this

In all honesty if weren't already dead from a panic attack or turned sex would be the farthest thing from my mind. Even if I did think about it it wouldn't be to have it. Zombies are the things that i am most afraid of. I can't really watch zombie movies and if I do I can't sleep for days. I think waiting would be even easier in a zombie apocalypse for me.

Hahaha Ive always thought about this question!!!

I think back in the day (like the cavemen LOL) their ceremonies were more random and they probably had to get creative. So yeah my idea of a marriage and laws might change...but I would still wait. Back in the dirty south they outlawed blacks and whites from interracially marrying...talk about tough love. But my point being yeah if I knew someone well enough I would and it may even be faster than nowadays because you see peoples' true colors under crazy pressure like that.

Still be waiting... but my standards would probably drop a bit with dwindling availability.

But, I'm armed and ready.

Give me another fun situation to work with.

As the T-Shirt says: The hardest part about preparing for the zombie apocalypse is pretending I'm not excited.

I'd wait, to fall in love AND some kind of ceremony. Of course, if there are no longer laws to be recognized, and it's basically a matter of survival, then a ceremony (to me) would just need to be us saying our vows in front of God and our family and friends (whoever is left, or we've picked up along the way). Since, to me, all a wedding is is a public 'I want to be committed to you' forum, a piece of paper is not necessary. I believe, in that kind of world, this is ok with God because when He created Adam and Eve it's not as if he set a piece of paper between them and said, 'Ok, now sign here... here... and here. Wonderful, you are officially married! Hazzah!' :)

By the way... I love this show, AND the zombie genre. :) Great thread.

*hesitantly raises hand* Question: Is it still ah...you know...if the other person is...ah...well...umm..."undead"? *runs out of the room, arms in the air* ew ew ew eeeeeewwww

Seriously though, it wouldn't change my conviction to WTM but I imagine it would progress a bit quicker perhaps...hopefully...

- Hey there, you have similar values and beliefs. Want to get married?

- ...What is that?

- It is a ring carved from the bones of my enemies

- Oh, what the heck, I can't resist an intellegent bearded man with a set of razor sharp katanas!

- Come here and give me a kiss you beautiful, dischevelled, fleeing-from-zombies-muscletoned wonder of a woman!

- I'll give you more than that...

BEEEEEP--------------Viewer Discretion Advised------------Beeep----------------Viewer Discretion Adivised--------------------

5hrs later...

- Wake up, my love! The sweet sound of our loud love-making has attracted the undead! We must run! We must run! We must...

- Arrrghlbblblurrraahhh

- Ah! Oh no! They got you too....I must run! I must run! I have failed as a husband and protector; woe is me  :(

4 people like this

I would've fallen in love with Beth. American series... killing fav characters since GoT and TWD.

I would've fallen in love with Beth. American series... killing fav characters since GoT and TWD.

Thanks for that spoiler warning -_-

I am not a fast runner, so I would be one of the Zombies...but a cute Zombie, I wouldn't let myself go like all of the other walking dead  :lol: that way ill make sure to get myself a nice zombie boyfriend. If by some chance, a miracle should occur and I do survive, then I would still want to get married before having sex.  I would find the least zombie infested building with a penthouse apartment, and have my wedding, reception and honeymoon in said penthouse apartment. Either alive or dead I am going to get me a MAN dammit!

1 person likes this