Buster Cannon

Would you stick to your WTM convictions in a zombie apocalypse?

48 posts in this topic

One of my favorite shows is The Walking Dead, and even though I'm not a huge zombie fan, I'm really fascinated by how much society changes after a catastrophic event like an outbreak.  Among other things, romance/sexuality tends to be handled differently.

With the threat of being eaten or killed otherwise looming over your head every single day, relationships tend to move a LOT faster, with a lot of casual flings going on.  Getting married (in the traditional sense) isn't even possible anymore unless you get lucky enough to find someone willing to do the ceremony.  That or it'd have to be some sort of commitment between the two of you.  Of course that's assuming that you'd find a partner that you'd want to spend the rest of your life with anyway, because your dating pool just got drastically smaller.  You think being a waiter is hard now?

This is just one of those "what-if" scenarios that makes me wonder.  I want to say "yes" but it's really hard to say how I'd act in a situation like that.

8 people like this

Absolutely, my commitment to my spouse and general morality aren't based on the rule of law being maintained. I wouldn't start shoplifting or murdering people for the same reasons. 

I'd probably be to busy to court her properly so I hope she is lenient in that regard. :)

No.

Hahahaha! I expected the first answer to be something really profound. This made me crack up! But what if you survived the zombie apocalypse? Would you regret not waiting? I'd still wait. I wouldn't allow a massive panic to make me give up my values. If my beliefs apply in moments of safety, they'd still apply in moments of danger. 

5 people like this

Yes but my concept of what a marriage would be would change I'd find a girl have a little ceremony and leave it at that.

6 people like this

Yes I would still wait. I am too stubborn to let some zombies try aand take my commitment to myself and God. And a marriage would just be something different. My hunny could be like Glen and chop a dead head's finger off to get my ring :lol:

If the zombies don't get to me first, sure I will still wait. Although I think I will be too busy killing (aka hiding) from zombies lol

5 people like this

I'd go ahead and let myself turn into a zombie and find me a sexy zombie lady.

Really, I don't think I'd put much thought into marriage. If I met the right woman, I'd just let things happen naturally as we fought to survive and keep each other alive. If we die, we die; if we live, hopefully we'd try to make something of a life together. If she dies and I live, I'd probably live a lonely life afterwards grateful for our time together. As for shagging a random woman just to do it, I'd like to think I wouldn't bother with that, but if the opportunity presented itself and death was pretty likely, I'm not sure I could resist.

7 people like this

No.

Glad I'm not the only one!  :lol:   That doesn't mean I'd start sleeping with anyone and everyone. I wouldn't.  But if I found someone that I grew to love and they loved me too, then yes, I'd sleep with them.  (And who knows, we could still one day have a makeshift ZA wedding like Glenn and Maggie on TWD! Too bad they never televised the actual ceremony, though; it was just implied... stupid writers <_< )

4 people like this

Hahahaha! I expected the first answer to be something really profound. This made me crack up! But what if you survived the zombie apocalypse? Would you regret not waiting? I'd still wait. I wouldn't allow a massive panic to make me give up my values. If my beliefs apply in moments of safety, they'd still apply in moments of danger.

#NoRagrets

I think I'd have more to regret after that Apocolypse than if I waited for sex or not. Not being WTM in the Apocolypse doesn't mean I would suddenly get it on with my fellow survivors. No matter what I think I'd wait till love :P

1 person likes this

If I'm not already married or dead by then... I'll die waiting.

1 person likes this

I don't think I would live long enough to worry about proper courtship or anything like that. I would just hope to find a girl I really loved, and commit to her. The rest would be about letting the "chips fall where they may."

Yes, I'd wait. There likely would still be a priest somewhere who could do the ceremony if I did meet someone. LOL I had the same thought myself when I first started watching the show: "Oh my gosh, what if something like that happens and I'm still single, then I meet someone?" But just because circumstances change, that doesn't mean the rules change. 

2 people like this

I wouldn't just find some random guy and go sleep with them, but if there was someone I was in love with and we were talking marriage anyway, I'd just get married then and there. If something happened and we knew we were going to die (surrounded and stuck in a basement or something with nothing to fight with) and I was attracted to them, then yeah I'd probably not wait.

I think survival would be my priority...sex probably wouldn't be high on my mind during such dangerous times.

1 person likes this

I'd still WTM, but I'd imagine I'd have bigger priorities than finding a husband if there was a zombie apocalypse. But hey, if I found someone and decided to get married, I could just find a priest. There'd probably be some floating around somewhere.

Also, I'm no Canon Lawyer, but I believe that Canon 1116 would apply here, which allows a couple to marry without a priest or deacon, just in front of witnesses, either in danger of death or if a zombie apocalypse and subsequent lack of priests was foreseen to continue for at least another month. If there is such a zombie apocalypse in the future, then the Church would probably publish some kind of paper to clarify the issue, in Apocalypsi immortui, or something of that nature...

xxx

4 people like this

I would, but I would have to apologize to my bride that ceremony would have to be short: exchange rings (shouldn't be to hard to find, sadly), make vows before God, kiss, then GTFO. You never know when the horde will show up.

2 people like this

Yes, if I met someone though, I'd probably just exchange rings or whatever. I could be wrong but I believe in old testament times they didn't have ceremonies either so if you're worried about that, I think an exception can be made without a priest or a ceremony. As long as you make that commitment to each other until death do you part. Or until the undead do you part.... lol

Also, what would be really difficult would be a Beth/Daryl situation where you are stuck with just one guy. There is strength in numbers so you won't be abandoning him but you will probably get lots of pressure from him and lots of temptation when hiding out in abandoned building.

5 people like this

To be honest... If I really wanted to marry the person I loved, we could still do the "I do's" and stuff...  You might not be able to be married by law (if there is one anymore) but God can see it if you're doing your vows and stuff, and possibly a witness will be there.

5 people like this

After thinking about it, I'd definitely want to stick with my convictions in a 'Walking Dead' situation.  Unless I'm already married, I don't think I'd want to pursue someone else in a time where I'm always on-edge due to zombies and crazy people trying to kill me left and right.  More added stress? No thanks.

If I did end up finding someone that I liked enough to be in a relationship with, we'd have to do some sort of ghetto makeshift wedding where we recite vows or something.  I don't know about pulling a ring off of an undead finger, but I'd do something.

5 people like this

Yeah id like to die with a bang ;)

But I also would like to thinki should,but I probably would 

I think most people forget that in the end of the world, traditional morality flies out the window.  There probably wouldn't be any more traditional marriages.  Just people who chose to commit to each other and be monogamous.  Just saying...

I think most people forget that in the end of the world, traditional morality flies out the window.  There probably wouldn't be any more traditional marriages.  Just people who chose to commit to each other and be monogamous.  Just saying...

what are you talking about, that already happens...