Sophie

Alcohol/Drinking

101 posts in this topic

Just watched World series game on fox and saw a Budweiser commercial.  I know they are sponsors but the advert may encourage more drinking at the ball park

1 person likes this

I have recently been wanting to find out more about the faith of Islam and the more I find out the more it makes sense. Like refraining from drinking. On my way home tonight I saw two men fighting outside a pub and one got knocked to the ground, obviously drunk. No one seemed to care. I wonder if the example was set for me not to drink I would have wanted to do this. I hardly drink at it is and I think you feel better in your body for it too.

Does anyone think its important to abstain from alcohol, health benefits aside just seeing what it does to society or that its too easy just to go along with what everyone else does to fit it instead of standing back and thinking what am I actually doing to my body.

Appreciate any views maybe even from Muslims

I have recently been wanting to find out more about the faith of Islam and the more I find out the more it makes sense. Like refraining from drinking. On my way home tonight I saw two men fighting outside a pub and one got knocked to the ground, obviously drunk. No one seemed to care. I wonder if the example was set for me not to drink I would have wanted to do this. I hardly drink at it is and I think you feel better in your body for it too.

Does anyone think its important to abstain from alcohol, health benefits aside just seeing what it does to society or that its too easy just to go along with what everyone else does to fit it instead of standing back and thinking what am I actually doing to my body.

Appreciate any views maybe even from Muslims

There are health benefits to drinking. Just not in excess.

1 person likes this

It's not the alcohol that does the damage. It's the irresponsible people who do the damage.

1 person likes this

Can you not say that about everything? Does a lot more damage that is does good

Sorry? Not really sure what you mean here.

The alcohol is the fuel though, I suppose you both also think that guns should be made free to own too.

Typo on my post I meant 'Does a lot more damage than it does good' , cant really write that in more simple terms really.

Arguing with an idiot only proves there are two

So by arguing with two does that make four?

2 people like this

I don't think anything wrong with drinking just getting drunk. I'm only 19 but I've tried gin and champaign at a wedding, just sips of both.

I drink wine now and then :) back in my teen years I did quite a lot of it and quit for 3 years. But now I only drink a glass of wine once in awhile. I love the taste. But will never overdue it again like I have in my past. Ive learned some valuable lessons

With the exception of a sip of beer on my 16th birthday (my dad;s suggestion), I have never really drunken.  Apparently I used to finish off my dad's beer bottles as a baby...

I personally think the idea of drinking alcohol is stupid - intentionally distorting the state of your mind would only cause problems.  But the reason I don't drink is because of my huge hero complex.

If I'm drinking, and my perception, my judgement, is foggy, then I would be less able to help someone in need.  I always want to be prepared to save someone, to help someone in need, but if I'm drunk, I don't think I would be able to.

2 people like this

So, I have never had alcohol in my life and while I don't think drinking is sinful, I do think being drunk is. I know that not everyone thinks so and I am okay with that and respect their right to drink or whatever. 

My problem is the rift that drinking is causing with my friends. I am pretty much the only one left who will not drink and based on past incidences, I worry about the things that my friend does when she drinks. I worry for her safety and her ability to make smart choices. I can't seem to stop myself from worrying about her and my other friends when they go to bars and drink. 

I also feel as if they are choosing drinking over me, that I am not fun anymore compared to the fun they could be having if they were drinking. Some of this is irrational and I know it, but it's a problem that I can't talk to them about it because they attack me with accusations of judging them or whatnot. 

I don't want to drink just to be included but I don't want to have to be the "lame" one that goes home early and spends the rest of the night alone. 

6 people like this

Nicole, I've had relatively little alcohol in my life and I have never been 'drunk'. I don't really fit in with people who want to go to bars and hang out, even if I don't mind having a single drink. I sometimes have a cider or a light beer, but I often still feel awkward and out of place, I can't recall when last I was in a bar. So I would agree that your friends are probably either enjoying alcohol too much, or looking for trouble, or both. Alcohol has a relaxing effect on most people, but it also lowers inhibitions. Alcohol will likely loosen your tongue and make you more open to suggestions that you would otherwise never consider. Some people enjoy that feeling and make that a lifestyle, but not without making plenty of mistakes along the way.

If these friends are worth trying to hang with and/or you want to try, you can always order one of the chaser drinks like Ginger Ale or Coke. Or order one of the fancy cocktails as a virgin version e.g. ask for a virgin strawberry daiquiri or a virgin piña colada and you can enjoy the mix without the alcohol. And if you want something with a little alcohol but not so harsh, try e.g. a cider like Redds or Angry Orchard, they are sort of like spiked apple cider. But if you still feel out of place, leave and don't feel bad about it, most bar atmospheres are not encouraging to waiters nor are they helpful to those of us walking the straight and narrow.

As always, these are my humble opinions.

1 person likes this

I am a teetotaler. I don't trust myself with the chance of becoming an alcoholic based how much I down sodas and other non-alcoholic beverages in a single sitting. If I like it, it'll be hard to kick it. Plus, an incident that involved my cousin driving intoxicated nearly killed himself when he crashed his car into a tree (the vehicle wrapped around it) deters me as I do not want to cause my family as much concern & grief as that did.

2 people like this

I don't drink, I don't like the taste of alcohol and don't like the biological and psychological effects of it. E.g. it's a poison so is harmful for your body (and I believe our bodies are gifts from God that should not be damaged if it can be helped), it makes people do and say things they regret and people can rely on it to make themselves seem or feel more outgoing instead of searching within themselves to solve these types of problems; it can negatively effect/ruin lives. I also prefer to drink things that actually taste nice and are good for me, water, juice, herbal tea etc, the things you consume (food or drink) have a huge impact on your health.

1 person likes this

I have every reason NOT to drink alcohol:

1. I can't stand the taste. I especially despise beer, it's SO bitter! Why so many people enjoy beer is beyond me. Whenever I say this to beer drinkers, they always say that it's an acquired taste. To me, that's like saying if I eat poop, eventually I'll grow to like it. Why would I want to force myself to like something I didn't like to begin with?

2. I have a heart condition. Interestingly enough, I read somewhere that a glass of wine a day actually lowers the risk of heart disease. But the real issue for me is that I'm on a blood thinning medication where I have to monitor my IR level each month. If I start drinking, it will throw off the readings.

3. I'm a SUPER lightweight. For my 21st, I drank a quarter of one of those girly drinks that had very little alcohol and I was already starting to feel the effects. I was surprised how little I could handle. I decided right then and there that alcohol wasn't for me.

4. I don't like the way it makes me feel. Sort of related to #3. Most people like the feeling of being buzzed and it relaxes them. Personally, it makes me feel sick and my face gets all hot and my head hurts.

5. I prefer other ways of having fun. Some people include alcohol in social settings and that's fine as long as they don't go overboard. But for me, I prefer going out to eat, seeing a movie, bowling, shooting, fishing etc for social events. I don't like my state of mind being altered in any way while I'm having fun.

6. I can't stand being around SOME drinking situations. I don't mind going to a bar on occasion with friends if they want a drink or two. I just won't drink myself. But I cant stand being in situations where the purpose is the get drunk. Even worse when I'm around people who think they can't function in a social setting without alcohol. If that's the case, they've got some deeper issues to speak of.

3 people like this

I've only seen my parents drink once, and that was one glass of champagne at a wedding. My dad even said they never let alcohol into the house so it could be a good influence on me, it did work.

I don't plan to drink until I'm 21, but for that time I'll only have a few sips just to see if it's okay or not. I don't want to get drunk, especially around other people, because I'm at a higher risk for alcoholism since I most likely have AvPD.

I've never had any alcohol and don't plan to as going somewhere to consume a beverage is extremely boring to me, alcoholic or otherwise. 

I had a lot of drinking pressure my first year or two of college and dealt with the usual lines about nondrinkers being boring. Its never bothered me personally as I have an outgoing personality which exemplifies the opposite. I do think that people who still pester others about their drinking habits in their 20s have likely crossed the line from "drinker" to alcoholic.

It's unhealthy to center a perception of others based on beverage consumption at a minimum. It would be like me saying I won't hang out with people who drink caffeine, I don't(drink caffeine), because they might be unable to do the physical activities I like. Its too silly to base your perception of an individual on something so artificial  even if its socially acceptable for drinkers to do so because they fit the norm.

What I do not understand is why are drinkers always so proud of how much they can drink and how they get drunk? There are better ways of enjoying yourself than to incapacitate your body. What if you get attacked or cause an accident? You are rendering yourself unable to function normally in situations that require your full attention. You are being your own biggest enemy by taking yourself out. I've had alcohol before and really cannot see what the big deal is. It is just bad tasting anyway.

3 people like this

I'm definitely a social drinker. I like to the experience of tasting my alcohol and try to appreciate the craftwork that went into making it. Now on a great night with friends hanging out at my place or having long conversations and laughing we may run out of drinks and ice. But overall I love the social aspect of drinking especially when I don't get drunk. I'll usually add more ice if a buzz starts or simply switch to water haha!

I used to drink...? My dad said I would finish off his beer bottles when I was a baby.

On my 16th birthday, my dad wanted a "ceremonious" first drink with my brother and I.  I took a sip, and I thought "it's not that bad."  I took another sip, didn't swallow it, spat it out in the grass, ran to the kitchen, rinsed my mouth out, and remained ashamed of what I did for "ceremony".

Over dramatic, I know.  But I always knew I didn't want to drink.

I don't think drinking is inherently a moral wrong, I just think it's stupid. If life is to be experienced fully, we should do so - experience it with a clear consciousness, with our judgement fully intact.

The strongest motivation I have against drinking is my hero complex.  If someone needs my help - if they're upset, they're in danger, and they need someone to rescue them - I doubt I would be able to anything if I was drunk.  I want to always be alert, so I can be ready to help someone in need.

It hasn't really hindered my social relationships, but maybe because I keep a small circle.  When I'm out with friends (I only have a handful of close friends, really), they don't desire to drink.  When Eric (@Laurentinus) are out, he doesn't care about drinking at all.  And we actually have fun walking downtown with meaningful conversation.

EDIT: Hahahaha, I already posted here!

Edited by PaulJustPaul
1 person likes this

I've never had a single drink in my life, and honestly I don't plan to.  If anything else I don't see the point.  I don't need it to have fun (despite what people may tell you), and I'd rather be in my right mind than in an altered state of consciousness any day.  I also hate the social pressure that comes with drinking; if everyone else orders a drink and you don't, you get those judgmental stares and people assuming that you're trying to be better than them, when really all you gave them was a polite "no thanks".

As a Christian, I don't believe that drinking alcohol in itself is a sin (drunkenness is), but personally I just don't have any reason to partake.  Pass the sparkling cider!

4 people like this

As a Christian, I don't believe that drinking alcohol in itself is a sin (drunkenness is), but personally I just don't have any reason to partake.  Pass the sparkling cider!

Amen!  And if you want something beer-like... Ginger Ale!