Sophie

Alcohol/Drinking

101 posts in this topic

Seeing as WTMers are very conservative about sex, marriage, and other topics, I began to wonder what else we are conservative about. Alcohol often leads to getting drunk, which leads to doing stupid things...and hook-ups. So I am assuming that most people on this site avoid alcohol, and/or getting drunk.

Do you frequently drink/get drunk? Do you drink but never get drunk? Get drunk occasionally? Rarely ever drink? Never drink at all?

When I first got drunk, I was 13 and in grade seven. I never hid it from my parents: they knew, my mom didn't care (it bothered my dad a little,) and they trusted me 100% not to get addicted or let it become a regular thing. My mom - for some reason - had no problems with me drinking so she would even buy me alcohol when I was underage. But I rarely got drunk. I am now 18 and I've been drunk maybe...10 times? That's in the past 5.5 years. Because my mom gave me such freedom with drinking, it never excited me much. Mostly I just drank and didn't get drunk. And now I don't drink at all. I was just experimenting a bit in my teen years and it was fun to just drink but not get drunk because I was underage. But I am now living in a place where 18 is completely legal, and I never even liked the taste of alcohol anyways. I won't ever get drunk again because it doesn't interest me, and what's the point of drinking if you're not going to get drunk? I drink water or juice if I'm thirsty, and like I said, alcohol tastes weird to me.

I just want to say that I am, in no way, promoting underage drinking. I have never done any drugs, and I always let my mom know when I was planning on getting drunk. Because I was such a good girl, I guess I felt the need to do something not good. I have no regrets or shame over it, but I don't want to have alcohol ever again. I am pretty light-weight anyways so even one glass makes me a bit unclear. I can't handle appropriate social drinking because of that.

Edit: re-reading this over a year later and realized I never mentioned I got drunk at age 13 BY ACCIDENT. Wow I made myself sound like an awful teen. >.< lol. Yeah there was spiked lemonade and normal lemonade and I wasn't aware of that. The adults told us "that's the lemonade bowl for the children," but we were all 13 and under so we had no clue that meant "the non-alcoholic one." We quickly ran out of  cuz there were 12 of us but the adults had more. I got light-headed and realized what was going on. Oh, and I also found a notebook where i had kept track of the number of times I got drunk: 6, not 10. 20 now and still not 10.

Edited by Sophie
1 person likes this

Hey Sophie,

well no girl I don't drink. Never have, my parents never did, and I do not plan on it either. To each their own.

2 people like this

Do you frequently drink/get drunk? Do you drink but never get drunk? Get drunk occasionally? Rarely ever drink? Never drink at all?

Depends on if you are asking 28-year-old Mike or 23-year-old Mike. :lol:

Currently, I don't get drunk very often because I have so many things I want to get done (not the least of which are things for this site) and I rarely feel like I can afford to be clouded for an entire day. It's just not worth the hangover anymore.

I do enjoy the occasional glass of wine, but wine spikes my grocery bill by $15 a pop so usually I just skip it.

2 people like this

I do enjoy the occasional glass of wine, but wine spikes my grocery bill by $15 a pop so usually I just skip it.

Yeah, it's not worth the cost to me. I have bought alcohol maybe three times. Unless it's free, I won't be drinking ever again. And I will never be getting drunk ever again.

1 person likes this

And I will never be getting drunk ever again.

Yeah, getting drunk rarely seems appealing to me anymore. I'd like to say I'll never get drunk again, but I know I'll be at some bar with friends some night, and the topics of shots will come up, and I'll forget everything I ever hated about drinking until the next morning. :lol:

Hopefully they'll legalize pot soon. Now THAT I might be up for every once in a while. So much easier on your body.

1 person likes this

I didn't drink until I was 19 and the first time I was drunk I was 20 I believe. I'lldrink maybe once a week or every 2 weeks during the school year, more often in the summer, although that doesn't mean quantity per time. Usually a drink or 2 drinks is good for me; once in a blue moon ilk have more. Number of times I've been drunk, was never on purpose, on accident, then water and a snack before bed. I'm not into drinking games; I just enjoy a couple socially.

1 person likes this

I really fall into the category of a social drinker. I'll have a beer or two out with friends or at a new years eve party or whatever but I rarely get drunk. Not to say I haven't been or never will be again lol but it's definitely not the norm for me.

4 people like this

Meh, I'm not a drinker. I've never had a sip in my life and simply have no desire to ever do so. I'm not fond of what it does to people and I've never been able to get past the smell. So I guess that answers the 'drunk' question :lol: When the going gets tough, my poison of choice is caffeine! :D Other than that and the rare ibuprofen, I'm a substance-free girl.

9 people like this

I'm not much of a drinker either. I cannot really stand the taste (especially beer). If I do drink, it is socially (and usually one glass max).

I have tried drinking before. beer, champagne, wine, mixed drinks. I have tried any of the stronger stuff though.

I don't drink much at all. I'll drink a tiny bit of champagne or soju for Holidays or something.

I've never gotten drunk and I never will.

Technically, I'm not 18 yet, so I can't legally drink. But, to be honest, from the times I've tried a sip of my mum's wine or my dad's cider at dinner, I can't say I enjoy the taste. So, I don't think I'll ever really be much of a drinker...

xxx

Honestly I've never had a drop of alcohol in my life but I really want to try those colorful fruity cocktails that they serve in bars. lol They look so enticing lol I think I'll be able to handle it but I dunno we'll see  lol

I drink, but not to excess. I will have a couple of drinks if I'm hanging out with friends. I also sometimes I'll have a drink or two at night just to relax. I've never been drunk. I really don't see myself getting drunk ever, it just doesn't appeal to me. 

I very rarely drink. When I do, I'll just have one. I've never been drunk and don't plan on getting drunk.

I had alcohol for the first time this year. I've tried champagne with a bunch of different mixers, Saki, red and white wine. It all tastes disgusting to me. So I don't think I'll ever be much of a drinker, but when I had champagne I noticed I became more sociable, so it could be worth choking down sometimes. I don't plan to get drunk though.

I don't have much of a taste for alcohol. Beer, wine, champagne... it's all pretty bitter and nasty to me. Once in a blue moon, usually when I'm on a vacation, I'll have a mixed drink with dinner, something sweet and fruity so I can't taste the alcohol in it. Never been drunk and don't plan to ever do it. I grew up with an alcoholic and have seen first hand the effects when taken in excess. Not appealing at all. I want to know I am in control of my mind and body at all times.

1 person likes this

I drink, but not alot and I've never been drunk - not sure if I can get drunk, yesterday I had two drinks and I was knocked out. Fell asleep lol. I've tasted alcohol before though, I remember my grandmother giving me a tiny sip of rum when she used it for cooking. I didn't like the taste but thought it made me look like a grown up. I'm not really interested in it though.

I've never had alcohol, and I do not plan to. Alcoholism runs in my family, but fortunately my dad has been able to battle his addiction successfully and has stayed sober for over 35 years; his father was not so fortunate. Being raised in a happy teetotal household, and seeing many of my relatives and acquaintances become the worst versions of themselves under the influence of alcohol, I see no benefits of drinking, just many costs. To each their own, but alcohol is not for me. To those of you who do drink, be safe!

4 people like this

I almost never drink. Don't see the point. I don't like the taste at all and there are far nicer things to drink and that don't harm your body (as much if at all.)

I've always been a social drinker since probably about age 19 or 20. I've never been a regular drinker, but I do like to occasionally. I like to drink with family and friends and have a good time, but I can easily have a good time if others are drinking and I'm not. I personally don't buy the whole "you do things you wouldn't ordinarily do" if you're under the influence. I've been buzzed/drunk and people have tried to convince to do stupid things (some involving sexual matters) and I've flat out refused. It's possible I've never had enough to drink to get to the point, but I feel like I probably have. I'm not proud of the fact that I've been pretty drunk when I was in college, but I consider it a learning experience.

My dad gave me a sip of his beer when I was seven years old.  I thought it was disgusting.  I haven't drunk alcohol since (well, there's wine in communion on Sunday, but that doesn't count as it's the elements of the Lord's Supper).  It's not because I'm against drinking, in fact, I look forward to a glass of something on my wedding day :)  But I just never really cared to try drinking, so I never really did.  It's just something I don't feel an urge to do.  My dad has a beer from time to time, my grandparents like wine, I'm Lutheran, and Lutherans as a general rule don't have any hangups about drinking, but me personally, I just never got into it. 

2 people like this

I have never drank alcohol. I have had a drop on my lips, thanks to my best friend who was a wild girl at the time and thought it would be funny to put alcohol on my lip because I made the mistake of telling her that I want to be able to say, "No alcohol has ever touched these lips." Not drinking is a personal choice. I have nothing against those who choose to indulge from time to time. Everything in moderation. 

3 people like this

I personally don't buy the whole "you do things you wouldn't ordinarily do" if you're under the influence.

Choosing not to drink doesn't make someone more spiritual or pious. But I would argue, that there could be circumstances where if you drink too much, your inhibitions will be lowered. And while you still may make the right decision when your inhibitions are lowered, the chances of you acting inappropriately increases. When I get into a relationship, out of my commitment to my girl, I will either drink very little or opt to drink nothing when I'm not with her. Not a heavy drinker, but I do enjoy it sometimes.