__Egirly__

Random Thoughts

1,055 posts in this topic

28 minutes ago, redgrapes said:

Hehe. But the meaning of life changes how to live, not whether or not to live.

But why would it change how to live? What possible answer would change the way in which you choose to live. Imagine this mice are being used for an experiment (sorry PETA). If they found out what the purpose of the lab was, would it change the way that the experiment went? No, because that would be unnecessary tampering, and the purpose of the lab does not apply to the mice themselves. They wouldn't even comprehend the lab report, because it's so far beyond their realm. The mice are people if you couldn't tell. 

1 person likes this

16 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

But why would it change how to live? What possible answer would change the way in which you choose to live.

If there is no meaning to life, or the only meaning is "to be happy," then almost everyone elects to live a selfish life of self-gratification, greed, and unrelenting consumption. Yet, if the meaning of life is to live for God, for others, or even righteousness itself, then you potentially have a completely different world. That's why I don't like it when people say there is no meaning or that we are just "specks of dust floating in space;" I think it dehumanizes us.

19 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

Imagine this mice are being used for an experiment (sorry PETA). If they found out what the purpose of the lab was, would it change the way that the experiment went? No, because that would be unnecessary tampering, and the purpose of the lab does not apply to the mice themselves. They wouldn't even comprehend the lab report, because it's so far beyond their realm. The mice are people if you couldn't tell. 

I think if the mice are people in the analogy, and they know and can comprehend their purpose, then yes it would change the course of the "experiment" because it would alter behavior. I also think in regard to humanity, the purpose is relevant to each individual.

1 person likes this

Sorry if that bugged you. Honestly I was just playing along for fun, it's not like I actually go around perpetuating these beliefs. I have a few friends that are fairly existentialist. On that note, sorry to @seabutterfly too for stringing you along. I don't mean to invalidate your feelings like that. Admittedly when it comes to a thread like this, it is difficult to tell if people are actually being serious about what they are saying.

1 person likes this

Oops! :superwaiter: Sorry, I knew you were joking around. I only meant it bothers me when people are quite serious about it and convince others to hold the same belief (like professors to students), as ideas are powerful. Nothing said here was anything like that at all.

I thought your back and forth was really cute and funny. I'm sorry- I didn't mean to ruin the fun. :unsure:

2 people like this

Don't worry, it's cool. I understand how you feel though, I don't really buy into that stuff either. But I am used to hearing about it from some of my friends, so I guess I'm inadvertently "experienced" in a discussion like this. It's okay, you haven't ruined anybody's fun. Although I know how important it is to you to stop other people from having fun, so I'm sorry that hasn't panned out. B)Just kidding.

2 people like this

Ahhhhh this feels like it's gotten out of control. Probably (most definitely) my fault. Sorry @redgrapes and @Adam I didn't mean to say that life is meaningless. I don't believe that. I meant to mean that the meaning of life or this broad and general answer that so many people want, is so complex that we could never verbalize it and finding a one word answer to life is pointless. Not that life is pointless. And I don't know I thought it would be fun to get existential-ly ahhhhh sorry 

2 people like this

P.s. @Adam you didn't "string me along," I am stupid, but I'm not completely stupid. And I don't feel invalidated, so you're good. 

2 people like this

@seabutterfly Oh my, I didn't mean it like that either. I should have used better words. I don't think you're stupid, and you shouldn't either. Everything was in good fun. :)

2 people like this

Eh I think I'm stupid, but that isn't to say I'm not smart. I once thought somebody was asking me if the moon was backwards. Also we're all idiots compared to ourselves in a couple minutes, weeks, years, etc.

2 people like this

47 minutes ago, Adam said:

It's okay, you haven't ruined anybody's fun. Although I know how important it is to you to stop other people from having fun, so I'm sorry that hasn't panned out.

Haha. :lol: It could still pan out! Based on the way this thread is going, I have until eternity to destroy happiness and spread my doom and gloom. ;) 

38 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

Ahhhhh this feels like it's gotten out of control. Probably (most definitely) my fault.

Aww, it's definitely not your fault, seabutterfly! ^_^

Perhaps there is some kind of meme for this situation? :superwaiter:

2 people like this

Now I know that isn't the best meme to sum up the situation, but I'm tired and I'm not a memelord.

2 people like this

5 hours ago, seabutterfly said:

Eh I think I'm stupid, but that isn't to say I'm not smart. I once thought somebody was asking me if the moon was backwards. Also we're all idiots compared to ourselves in a couple minutes, weeks, years, etc.

Well I don't think you're stupid, and because my opinion is better than yours, you should totally disregard your own feelings and completely adhere to my own. ;) Seriously though, you are smart. :)But what if the moon really is backwards?

5 hours ago, redgrapes said:

Haha. :lol: It could still pan out! Based on the way this thread is going, I have until eternity to destroy happiness and spread my doom and gloom. ;)

Oh, how terrifying! It seems your wrath will never cease. I suppose I'll just have to counteract this by continuing to make high quality posts chock-full of thought provoking content. You could never be prepared for the sheer amount of effort I'm going to put into every meaningful post I submit for this illustrious thread!

4 hours ago, seabutterfly said:

Now I know that isn't the best meme to sum up the situation, but I'm tired and I'm not a memelord.

Hold on, I might have something.

5 hours ago, redgrapes said:

Perhaps there is some kind of meme for this situation? :superwaiter:

Well right now, this is what I'm thinking. I hope I'm not alone in this?

DHUQb8RXoAEiiYC.jpg

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Adam said:Well right now, this is what I'm thinking. I hope I'm not alone in this?

DHUQb8RXoAEiiYC.jpg

How sinister! Haha, I think it fits.

2 people like this

@seabutterfly Hahaha. I like it! :D

... I feel like if I "like" one of your self-deprecating posts in which you say you're stupid then I'll be calling you stupid even though you're obviously not. :unsure:

17 hours ago, Adam said:

Oh, how terrifying! It seems your wrath will never cease. I suppose I'll just have to counteract this by continuing to make high quality posts chock-full of thought provoking content. You could never be prepared for the sheer amount of effort I'm going to put into every meaningful post I submit for this illustrious thread!

What an atrocity! I will certainly contact the admins to have you banned or at the very least have your nonsense permanently removed. B)

17 hours ago, Adam said:

Well right now, this is what I'm thinking. I hope I'm not alone in this?

DHUQb8RXoAEiiYC.jpg

Uh oh. :superwaiter: Somehow I think I'll be the first target...

2 people like this

20 minutes ago, redgrapes said:

... I feel like if I "like" one of your self-deprecating posts in which you say you're stupid then I'll be calling you stupid even though you're obviously not. :unsure:

See, I thought the exact same thing. But then I thought I would give her one anyway because maybe she likes to get likes. :D Although, I generally do like any post that I'm acknowledging, as well as any that are replying to me. I don't think it hurts. Surely it must be more exciting to see a "2" instead of only a "1" above the notification bell. But hey, I'll even like posts that I disagree with, so perhaps I'm just far more generous than you are...

29 minutes ago, redgrapes said:

What an atrocity! I will certainly contact the admins to have you banned or at the very least have your nonsense permanently removed. B)

A clever gambit, but ultimately a farce. The admins will see right through your tyranny and see that I stand on the side of justice. Your oppression is nearing its end. :superwaiter:

38 minutes ago, redgrapes said:

Uh oh. :superwaiter: Somehow I think I'll be the first target...

;)

2 people like this

35 minutes ago, redgrapes said:

I feel like if I "like" one of your self-deprecating posts in which you say you're stupid then I'll be calling you stupid even though you're obviously not. :unsure:

Aww don't, I crave self validation so I would be fine if you liked it because I'd assume you thought it was funny. Also, I try not to be that person who makes self-deprecating jokes so that somebody will tell them the opposite of that. But I understand that I can come off that way. So, I much rather prefer people to laugh at me when I say that or even make a joke back, than say "no, you're perfect." To me it signals a deeper understanding of the person I am, and it's just more fun for the whole group. Also, it makes me feel like "ok maybe they don't perceive me as the attention- seeker I think I'm coming off as." Also @Adam pretty much nailed it haha, I truly am pathetic and just want likes (it's ok everyone, you can like this still).

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

Aww don't, I crave self validation so I would be fine if you liked it because I'd assume you thought it was funny. Also, I try not to be that person who makes self-deprecating jokes so that somebody will tell them the opposite of that. But I understand that I can come off that way. So, I much rather prefer people to laugh at me when I say that or even make a joke back, than say "no, you're perfect." To me it signals a deeper understanding of the person I am, and it's just more fun for the whole group. Also, it makes me feel like "ok maybe they don't perceive me as the attention- seeker I think I'm coming off as." Also @Adam pretty much nailed it haha, I truly am pathetic and just want likes (it's ok everyone, you can like this still).

Ah, I get it. I know some people like that. I kinda figured that it might be like that with you, but it definitely is risky to make an assumption like that on the forums since we don't actually know each other all that much. But I understand now. I'll just have to never compliment you ever again. ;)

But in all seriousness, it is hard sometimes for even me to tell when those friends of mine are being serious or when they are just being their usual selves. I can never be too sure.

2 people like this

3 minutes ago, Adam said:

But I understand now. I'll just have to never compliment you ever again. ;)

But how ever will I live without your praise?!

2 people like this

1 minute ago, seabutterfly said:

But how ever will I live without your praise?!

Now there's a thought worth exploring. I really don't know how anyone could live without my approval. The very idea of that is frightening! :(

2 people like this

Just now, Adam said:

Now there's a thought worth exploring. I really don't know how anyone could live without my approval. The very idea of that is frightening! :(

I know!! Especially since I'm just a young girl on journey to happiness, and you're a man! I really don't think I'm even allowed to survive without your validation. 

13 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

I know!! Especially since I'm just a young girl on journey to happiness, and you're a man! I really don't think I'm even allowed to survive without your validation. 

Hold on, I know you're joking but that might be a bit too touchy of a subject to bring up in this thread. Sorry if I'm being so sudden, but I wouldn't want anybody else to misinterpret what you're saying.

I was just joking about everybody requiring my approval, but it was as if I'm some kind of high-class, well-esteemed marker of greatness. Obviously I'm not, and I was in no way referencing anything to do with gender dynamics.

Gah, sorry if I'm just patronizing you now. I'm sure you already understand, but anybody else who comes in here might not. I wouldn't want to risk letting a playful exchange escalate into something worse.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Adam said:

Hold on, I know you're joking but that might be a bit too touchy of a subject to bring up in this thread. Sorry if I'm being so sudden, but I wouldn't want anybody else to misinterpret what you're saying.

I was just joking about everybody requiring my approval, but it was as if I'm some kind of high-class, well-esteemed marker of greatness. Obviously I'm not, and I was in no way referencing anything to do with gender dynamics.

Gah, sorry if I'm just patronizing you now. I'm sure you already understand, but anybody else who comes in here might not. I wouldn't want to risk letting a playful exchange escalate into something worse.

Oh yeah, I was totally kidding too. I knew what I said was going to be misinterpreted  (sorry). I mean: you horrible mansplainer how dare you?! 

Argh now that's probably also going to be misunderstood too. I'm not trying to demean feminism or you, Adam. ahhhhhhhhhhhh 

2 people like this

6 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

Oh yeah, I was totally kidding too. I knew what I said was going to be misinterpreted  (sorry). I mean: you horrible mansplainer how dare you?! 

Argh now that's probably also going to be misunderstood too. I'm not trying to demean feminism or you, Adam. ahhhhhhhhhhhh 

It's cool, I get you. I just worry that someone else won't. I don't even know how to talk about this without potentially invalidating somebody.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, Adam said:

It's cool, I get you. I just worry that someone else won't. I don't even know how to talk about this without potentially invalidating somebody.

Yeah I get it, so let's not because I'd rather not be amid controversy when I really should be asleep in about oh, an hour ago

2 people like this