__Egirly__

Random Thoughts

1,055 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Adam said:

Who will get the 1,000th post? :superwaiter:

 

Me. :P 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok why is time so weird? It's so weird that half the time I barely know what it is. Is time even real?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

Ok why is time so weird? It's so weird that half the time I barely know what it is. Is time even real?

Time is real, it just always does the opposite of what you want it to do.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam said:

Time is real, it just always does the opposite of what you want it to do.

Ok, but how do we know time is real? It could very well be nonexistent and we wouldn't necessarily know the difference. But maybe in a sense it has some reality to it. It depends on your definition. How are we supposed to define time?

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, seabutterfly said:

Ok, but how do we know time is real? It could very well be nonexistent and we wouldn't necessarily know the difference. But maybe in a sense it has some reality to it. It depends on your definition. How are we supposed to define time?

Time is at the very least a concept. It is totally abstract. But it certainly "happens". It has physical effects on all forms of life. Would that make it real? Or does it remain nothing more than an idea? Obviously time isn't sentient. It does not think or feel. But I do think it is hostile. It slowly kills everyone and everything eventually. That alone makes it scary, but what's even scarier is that it is completely indifferent to our suffering.

I suppose you can say that time can exist without actually being real. Then we would have to ask ourselves what exactly constitutes "being real". What makes us real? Our physical forms? Our emotions? How can we truly know if anything in this universe is real? What if nothing is real? The search for the truth is a never ending quest...

I'll tell you this though.

Time is a real pain in the ass.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Adam said:

Time is at the very least a concept. It is totally abstract. But it certainly "happens". It has physical effects on all forms of life. Would that make it real? Or does it remain nothing more than an idea? Obviously time isn't sentient. It does not think or feel. But I do think it is hostile. It slowly kills everyone and everything eventually. That alone makes it scary, but what's even scarier is that it is completely indifferent to our suffering.

I suppose you can say that time can exist without actually being real. Then we would have to ask ourselves what exactly constitutes "being real". What makes us real? Our physical forms? Our emotions? How can we truly know if anything in this universe is real? What if nothing is real? The search for the truth is a never ending quest...

I'll tell you this though.

Time is a real pain in the ass.

All interesting fodder for existential questioning. I'd love to delve into this more. But I don't quite have the *TIME* for an existential crisis tonight. 

P.s. I know I brought this up haha

Edited by seabutterfly
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

All interesting fodder for existential questioning. I'd love to delve into this more. But I don't quite have the *TIME* for an existential crisis tonight. 

They do say that time flies when you're having fun.

But that can only mean that time stills during our misery, prolonging our pain. Perhaps when we suffer, in truth we have as much time as we don't need.

:superwaiter:

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Adam said:

They do say that time flies when you're having fun.

But that can only mean that time stills during our misery, prolonging our pain. Perhaps when we suffer, in truth we have as much time as we don't need.

:superwaiter:

It's just a bunch of wibbly wobbly time stuff I guess.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, seabutterfly said:

It's just a bunch of wibbly wobbly time stuff I guess.

Time truly is an enigma. But I believe that all we need to understand is that time can never be stopped. It cannot be beaten or bargained with. It is without mercy. Without forgiveness. Yet, time is not malevolent. It acts purely without reason. Time simply just is.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Adam said:

Time truly is an enigma. But I believe that all we need to understand is that time can never be stopped. It cannot be beaten or bargained with. It is without mercy. Without forgiveness. Yet, time is not malevolent. It acts purely without reason. Time simply just is.

Oh, you were talking about time... I thought you were talking about this thread. ;) 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, redgrapes said:

Oh, you were talking about time... I thought you were talking about this thread. ;) 

The validity of this thread is worth questioning. 41 pages, over 1000 replies, all about people talking about nothing. Surely this thread cannot be real. It consumes anything and everything, regardless of quality or from whom it comes. Nothing goes in, and nothing comes out. Yet somehow, we remain here. It's as if we do expect something to come, despite the complete futility of it all. This thread too is merciless. Those it captures are damned to toil in obscurity forever. We are its pawns; and it tasks us with chasing after the meaningless and non-existent goal of finding substance in the empty world it contains us in. And for what reason? Nothing. It has no purpose. This thread is nothing, we feed it nothing, it gives us nothing, and finally, we become nothing. The destruction it causes is unrelenting. And there is no escape.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Adam said:

The validity of this thread is worth questioning. 41 pages, over 1000 replies, all about people talking about nothing. Surely this thread cannot be real. It consumes anything and everything, regardless of quality or from whom it comes. Nothing goes in, and nothing comes out. Yet somehow, we remain here. It's as if we do expect something to come, despite the complete futility of it all. This thread too is merciless. Those it captures are damned to toil in obscurity forever. We are its pawns; and it tasks us with chasing after the meaningless and non-existent goal of finding substance in the empty world it contains us in. And for what reason? Nothing. It has no purpose. This thread is nothing, we feed it nothing, it gives us nothing, and finally, we become nothing. The destruction it causes is unrelenting. And there is no escape.

yes.

“All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it's pretty damn complicated in the first place.” -Douglass Adams

And time is basically the universe. And the universe is basically time.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Adam said:

The validity of this thread is worth questioning. 41 pages, over 1000 replies, all about people talking about nothing. Surely this thread cannot be real. It consumes anything and everything, regardless of quality or from whom it comes. Nothing goes in, and nothing comes out. Yet somehow, we remain here. It's as if we do expect something to come, despite the complete futility of it all. This thread too is merciless. Those it captures are damned to toil in obscurity forever. We are its pawns; and it tasks us with chasing after the meaningless and non-existent goal of finding substance in the empty world it contains us in. And for what reason? Nothing. It has no purpose. This thread is nothing, we feed it nothing, it gives us nothing, and finally, we become nothing. The destruction it causes is unrelenting. And there is no escape.

Hahaha. I'm glad you understood me. :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, seabutterfly said:

yes.

“All you really need to know for the moment is that the universe is a lot more complicated than you might think, even if you start from a position of thinking it's pretty damn complicated in the first place.” -Douglass Adams

And time is basically the universe. And the universe is basically time.

It is indeed a battle we have no chance of winning. The further we look, the further the answers escape us. Every question only leads to a new one. To ponder at all is to invite misery upon one's self. Our struggle will forever be without meaning, and it is foolish to think that anyone can escape this nightmare. Perhaps all we can do is choose not to think. They do say that ignorance is bliss. It is by no means a solution. But it may be the only way to find comfort in this malicious universe.

3 hours ago, redgrapes said:

Hahaha. I'm glad you understood me. :D

See, now I can't help but think you're being sarcastic. But perhaps it was I whom was being sarcastic all along... :superwaiter: Just like with all facets of existentialism, we can never truly know...

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Adam said:

It is indeed a battle we have no chance of winning. The further we look, the further the answers escape us. Every question only leads to a new one. To ponder at all is to invite misery upon one's self. Our struggle will forever be without meaning, and it is foolish to think that anyone can escape this nightmare. Perhaps all we can do is choose not to think. They do say that ignorance is bliss. It is by no means a solution. But it may be the only way to find comfort in this malicious universe

Some  questions are worth finding answers to. But only if their answers are useful. Finding the meaning of life, time, or anything is futile. It will consume one's life for a pointless answer, because the reason for living does not change the fact that one is living. It is useless information, much like this thread. But maybe useless information has a use, and that's a problem worth finding an answer to.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, seabutterfly said:

Some  questions are worth finding answers to. But only if their answers are useful. Finding the meaning of life, time, or anything is futile. It will consume one's life for a pointless answer, because the reason for living does not change the fact that one is living. It is useless information, much like this thread. But maybe useless information has a use, and that's a problem worth finding an answer to.

And that is just our main struggle in life, isn't it? To find a purpose. We all begin useless, and we are tasked with finding a use for ourselves. To justify our existence, to endlessly pursue the truth, to simply mean something to somebody, perhaps these are what makes us human. We shouldn't distract ourselves with the infinity of the unknown. To do so denies one the opportunity to live. We must live, for it is through living that we innovate, create, change and discover. It is only through living that we may find our place in this vast universe.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Adam said:

And that is just our main struggle in life, isn't it? To find a purpose. We all begin useless, and we are tasked with finding a use for ourselves. To justify our existence, to endlessly pursue the truth, to simply mean something to somebody, perhaps these are what makes us human. We shouldn't distract ourselves with the infinity of the unknown. To do so denies one the opportunity to live. We must live, for it is through living that we innovate, create, change and discover. It is only through living that we may find our place in this vast universe.

Yet, without this struggle we'd be pointless. Because it is our main struggle, and without struggle we get nowhere. It is the struggle that moves us forward and without moving forward we disappear, because  we cannot move backwards no matter how hard we try.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

Yet, without this struggle we'd be pointless. Because it is our main struggle, and without struggle we get nowhere. It is the struggle that moves us forward and without moving forward we disappear, because  we cannot move backwards no matter how hard we try.

To struggle is to be human, and the struggle is very real. Humanity must struggle together. It is only through our mutual suffering that we can strive towards tomorrow.

And believe me, if I have to suffer, then there is no good reason why everybody else shouldn't. ;)

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Adam said:

To struggle is to be human, and the struggle is very real. Humanity must struggle together. It is only through our mutual suffering that we can strive towards tomorrow.

When one of us fail we all fail, because it is a symptom of our society. This is not to say they are not responsible for their actions and should not be consequenced. But, when one of  succeeds we all succeed. This is not to say they didn't earn it themselves or do not deserve acclaim. However, if we are to move forward we must recognize our collective struggle.

5 minutes ago, Adam said:

And believe me, if I have to suffer, then there is no good reason why everybody else shouldn't. ;)

Yes.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, seabutterfly said:

When one of us fail we all fail, because it is a symptom of our society. This is not to say they are not responsible for their actions and should not be consequenced. But, when one of  succeeds we all succeed. This is not to say they didn't earn it themselves or do not deserve acclaim. However, if we are to move forward we must recognize our collective struggle.

Let's embrace our pain and misery! :D

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Adam said:

Let's embrace our pain and misery! :D

That's what memes are for. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, seabutterfly said:

That's what memes are for. 

Memes are haunting.

 

9889.png

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2017 at 10:34 AM, seabutterfly said:

Finding the meaning of life, time, or anything is futile. It will consume one's life for a pointless answer, because the reason for living does not change the fact that one is living. It is useless information, much like this thread.

Hehe. But the meaning of life changes how to live, not whether or not to live.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now