__Egirly__

Random Thoughts

1,078 posts in this topic

I can't wait till I meet my future husband cause I'll finally be able to get that restraining order against him.  :D

Just thought...

Totally not cool.

You could lose gun rights that way..

Man, this healthy eating stuff is serious business. I had a dream last night that I drank a large slurpee from 7-Eleven, woke up feeling super guilty about it. :/

5 people like this

Man, this healthy eating stuff is serious business. I had a dream last night that I drank a large slurpee from 7-Eleven, woke up feeling super guilty about it. :/

I dream of pizza :(

I broke down and made cookies, but I ate so much cookie dough while making them that when they were done, I didn't want them anymore. :/

5 people like this

Two different bikes. Two different cities.

Both bikes stolen over the weekend.

Thanks for the $1300 hit.

Next time someone tries to steal my bike, I'll be prepared. They will feel my wrath 😡😠

Or iust be scared off. Either one will do!

2 people like this

Two different bikes. Two different cities.

Both bikes stolen over the weekend.

Thanks for the $1300 hit.

Next time someone tries to steal my bike, I'll be prepared. They will feel my wrath

Or iust be scared off. Either one will do!

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Things like this literally make my stomach sick. 

Just thought...

Totally not cool.

You could lose gun rights that way..

Just remember, inalienable rights are what they can not take away...

I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Things like this literally make my stomach sick.

Thanks, JesSea!

I know there are worse things, but we really liked our bikes...on the upside I'm learning a lot about bike theft prevention technology

We'll be prepared next time! (Not that my bike wasn't locked to a rack, in a gated parkade, surrounded by barbed wire😞😛)

3 people like this

Well my city just got ranked 9th on the most sexually diseased in the nation... >.<`

At least it wasn't #1. I mean, I don't know if that's much of a consolation.  :unsure:

1 person likes this

Anybody care to explain why this souvenir shop in Malaga, Spain appears to be selling statuettes of the Ku Klux Klan?

post-40836-0-13034500-1439644622_thumb.j

Like, WTF? Who buys that sort of thing?

1 person likes this

Anybody care to explain why this souvenir shop in Malaga, Spain appears to be selling statuettes of the Ku Klux Klan?

DSC_1928.JPG

I think that is actually a religious dress (possibly some Christian sect, though I don't know which, maybe someone will correct me on that one!). It may be that the KKK ripped off the idea from them initially. It's like the Nazis taking the swastika for their own use. You will see that symbol all over India, but I think it's supposed to represent peace (haha but someone might need to correct me on that too, as I am too lazy to check up on it right now :P )

That being said, I don't know anyone who would buy those either...

2 people like this

attachicon.gifDSC_1928.JPG

They are crusaders :D Don't know why they decided to depict them with their hoods up and faces covered though! AH-PA2016_1_.png

2 people like this

No, no! They're not KKK. In Spain, the priests wear robes like that but they're not Klansmen.  :blink:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capirote 

Edit: Sorry I didn't look at the other responses. Some people beat me to it. 

2 people like this

:excl: The following informations are without engagement and I don´t claim completeness ;)

Those statuettes seem to be so called "Hermanos".

At Easter time from Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday in Spain there is the "Semana Santa", the "holy week" (not only in Spain, though, but in other countries, too).

In some countries, like Spain, there are many celebrations and processions during that week.

The "Semana Santa" in many parts in Spain contains very festive processions and the majority of the community members and the general public participate in it.

Every procession during the holy week involves a few hundred up to thousand people! The main procession though is on Good Friday.

Processions are organised by the "Hermandades" / "Cofradias". Those are confraternities and are most of the time part of a congregation.

Important parts and members of the processions are

1. the pasos

Pasos are table-like constructs which show a statue of the Virgin Mary or a scene of the Way of the Cross with a statue of Jesus.

2. music playing bands, sometimes drummers

3. Hermanos

There are three groups of Hermanos:

a) Nazarenos

Nazarenos are so called penitents during the procession. Often they wear long frocks with a pointed hood / bonnet (to safeguard the anonymity of the repentance).

They carry candles or other insignias.

b Penitentes

Penitentes are penitents who carry a Cross (often made out of wood) on their shoulders.

Like the Nazarenos they wear long frocks, but their hood / bonnet hangs rearwards.

c) Costaleros

They carry the Pasos

I guess, those statuettes you asked about are Nazarenos with the pointed hoods.

The traditional processions of Sevilla are the most famous. Besides that, there are many other processions in Spain (like in Malaga) who are acknowledged by international (touristy) interest. That´s probably why there are statuettes like that for sale.

And yes, very reminding of the Ku Klux Klan.

Anybody feel free to correct me, if I said anything wrong. I´m no expert in this ;)

And to end this novel I found an English Wikipedia article about the Holy Week in Spain. Haven´t read this, but I´m sure it gives an awesome overview and it also encompasses pictures of processions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Week_in_Spain

Edit: In the meantime writing this, there were some other answers written.

So....I might be a bit late....

Oh and normal priests wear those frocks, too? I didn´t know that. This thread turned out to be very informative!

2 people like this

Ooooh, thanks guys!

Yeah, I wondered if I was missing something. That's a relief, thanks for clearing that up  :D

2 people like this

Darnit, people, Catholic apologetics is my job!  :P

Yeah, the hood thingies are capirotes. They date back to the Middle Ages, I think, and they also come in other colours besides white. Strictly speaking, if you compare them to the KKK hoods, capirotes are a lot taller and pointier.

I'm assuming that the KKK didn't know these things existed (you only get them in some parts of Spain) when they came up with their costumes since the KKK are really anti-Catholic, unless it's meant to be a parody, or something. Otherwise, I love the thought of some Klansman turning up in Spain during Holy Week and getting all confused.

xxx

5 people like this

Again, thanks for the awesome clarifications! Gods, I feel really ignorant now.

Otherwise, I love the thought of some Klansman turning up in Spain during Holy Week and getting all confused.

Hahaha, I would love to see that!

2 people like this

Darnit, people, Catholic apologetics is my job!  :P

teehee, sorry! I'm the ninja Catholic, coming out of nowhere :superwaiter:

Again, thanks for the awesome clarifications! Gods, I feel really ignorant now.

Hahaha, I would love to see that!

You're definitely not ignorant. I've learned SO much from you about your beliefs! I love that people can learn from each other like this on the site. 

5 people like this

I know it has been cleared up that's its supposed to be crusaders, but I have a feeling (sadly, since many souvenirs are made cheaply in china and such these days) that whoever designed this, actually reused a KKK figurine, put it on a custom bottom plate and just painted it a bit differently.

Its just too similar, I don't see why crusaders should otherwise have their faces covered and hoods pointed. Crazy found tho! :lol: