__Egirly__

Random Thoughts

1,078 posts in this topic

Dammit quote still won't work. I have such little patience with computers! (I'm hoping it's the comp, I don't want to be the guy who can't do something really easy, that's simple for everyone else!)

Testing.

Seems to work fine for me. Make sure you are clicking the "Quote" button below their posts. I'm not sure why it wouldn't work for you if that is what you are doing. 

I dunno what's going on, might just be some kind of glitch with my laptop? It has been playing up.

1 person likes this

I dunno what's going on, might just be some kind of glitch with my laptop? It has been playing up.

What browser are you using?

I just took 20 minutes to catch up on this thread! It's always interesting to see what random thoughts come out of people, and I'm a tough audience... I live with a 3 year old. lol

2 people like this

Congrats!!

Awesome! Congrats!  :)

Thank you both! :D

Yeah, I meant from the idea! Think I'm about 3 years into mine though it's evolved so perhaps only a few character traits remain from the original point. Seriously though, well done. I completed a first draft after 3 months or so haven't got halfway through the second draft after about 9 months! Wish I'd savoured the creative juices flowing. So how long is it and what's it about? (if you're ok with sharing) Either way, congratulations! Must feel pretty nice to have completed something you began thinking about 7 years ago!! (not trying to make you feel old :P

Yeah, mine has also evolved a lot since I first got the idea. The original plot (don't laugh everyone) was about an elf with violet eyes who discovers she's the child of a prophecy and has to save the world from its evil dictator using the magical crystal necklace she's had since she was a baby. (I said don't laugh!) And in case you're wondering, it was just as badly written as it was plotted. If I ever get published, I'll upload passages from the very very first draft to my blog and we can all laugh together as I lose my credibility forever.

Current plot summary: 13 years after the gods disappear and the queen dies in a mysterious fire, a conspiracy comes to light and the still-grieving king, a charismatic but undisciplined soldier, and a girl who only wants to go home each find themselves working in their own ways to protect the kingdom. It's currently setting comfortably at 129K words, or 430 pages, which is a little too long but will get shorter when I attack it with the editing axe :P

5 people like this

Current plot summary: 13 years after the gods disappear and the queen dies in a mysterious fire, a conspiracy comes to light and the still-grieving king, a charismatic but undisciplined soldier, and a girl who only wants to go home each find themselves working in their own ways to protect the kingdom.

I wanna read this, like, yesterday. Just sayin'.

2 people like this

430 pages?!! Wow, its sounds fantastic. 9 months? You're either really quick or i'm just dog slow! Seriously well done and all the best! :D

And yeah reading your original writing/first attempts at writing gets me cringing and shuddering!

1 person likes this

I wanna read this, like, yesterday. Just sayin'.

Haha! Glad to hear you're intrigued! :D

430 pages?!! Wow, its sounds fantastic. 9 months? You're either really quick or i'm just dog slow! Seriously well done and all the best! :D

And yeah reading your original writing/first attempts at writing gets me cringing and shuddering!

Thank you! I actually spent the last 9 months off study (with a bit of work on the side to support myself) so I could focus completely on the novel. I wrote for at least 5 hours a day most days, sometimes as many as 10.That's why it got done so fast! It was a massive effort but I'm proud I made it!

Where and when can I read it?

Well… It would be pretty awesome if it was published ;) but we'll have to see. I still have to edit it thoroughly (should take another 3 months or so) but once that's done I plan on sending it out and crossing my fingers! Not keeping my hopes up too high, but it would be pretty awesome.

Feeling pretty flattered now  :blush: Thanks guys!

2 people like this

That's gonna take much time, damn :D, can't u put it on official sale as an eBook before the paper printing?

I'm also interested on how much they'll pay you. The twilight books let the writer earn like 100 000 - 300 000 dollars after she sent it to a publisher. JK Rowling just got a couple thousand dollars because the publishers concluded that it's just an average story.

5-10 hours a day? For 9 months? damn that's impressive! Was that consistent? I find if it's hot and sunny I can write for hours on end, come winter time and the clouds, cold and rain and I crawl to a snail's pace and my brain feels foggy! (With the English weather that happens a lot) I love seeing people going for their dream, good luck!!

Casually replying one week later…

That's gonna take much time, damn :D, can't u put it on official sale as an eBook before the paper printing?

I'm also interested on how much they'll pay you. The twilight books let the writer earn like 100 000 - 300 000 dollars after she sent it to a publisher. JK Rowling just got a couple thousand dollars because the publishers concluded that it's just an average story.

You know, I've thought about self-publishing, but at this point I don't think it's right for me. Just looking at the work I need to do for my first edit… let's say the writing right now is pretty bad ;) and that's why I need an editor. I wouldn't publish anything before I'm 100% sure it's ready to be published, and that requires it going through editors and publishers and paper print. Look at it this way: would you rather read a mediocre book now, or a good one later? :D

As for money, I have no idea! (Should do research…) Sorry, not much help there :P

5-10 hours a day? For 9 months? damn that's impressive! Was that consistent? I find if it's hot and sunny I can write for hours on end, come winter time and the clouds, cold and rain and I crawl to a snail's pace and my brain feels foggy! (With the English weather that happens a lot) I love seeing people going for their dream, good luck!!

It was hard work, definitely. Some days I just did not feel like writing and just stared at the screen feeling grumpy. But I made a point of opening the document and having a look at it every day. Sometimes I worked well and wrote 2000 words in one sitting, other times I just went back and re-read and edited what I had already written, but I always tried to do something. The thing is, nobody else was going to write it for me - so, inspired or uninspired, if I didn't write it, it would never get done! That's how I kept myself motivated, even though it was sometimes hard :)

1 person likes this

@sameye haha I have the cure for hiccups, never failed me no matter how many times my sister says i'm stupid! Fill up a basin of water, take a deep breath and stick your head in until you need air. As long as the basin is low and you're bent over it works after 1 or 2 attempts.

I actually want you to get hiccups, just so I can prove I'm right!!

1 person likes this

@CrystalFaerie That's pretty impressive. I find editing and making changes to be really frustrating. You lose that frenzied rhythm that you had when writing from scratch and creating from nothing. It takes me so long. You sound a little like me in that you're either on fire or you're not. You're just a more productive version! I make a point of never looking at the word count. Because those days when you zip along for 8 or 9 hours are rare for me, so it would just be depressing if I kept comparing the bad days to the prolific days!

1 person likes this

@sameye haha I have the cure for hiccups, never failed me no matter how many times my sister says i'm stupid! Fill up a basin of water, take a deep breath and stick your head in until you need air. As long as the basin is low and you're bent over it works after 1 or 2 attempts.

I actually want you to get hiccups, just so I can prove I'm right!!

lol, I actually just drink a glass of water and the go away. The trick is to breathe all your air out before you start gulping the water down ;)

CrystalFaerie, I thought that editors just checked whether your book does not have any contradictions, elements that disrupt the reality of the story or grammatical mistakes?

CrystalFaerie, I thought that editors just checked whether your book does not have any contradictions, elements that disrupt the reality of the story or grammatical mistakes?

Yep, they check that - but they also include suggestions such as cutting chapters/characters/plot elements that don't serve the overall story, switching scenes around, changing ones that seem unbelievable, etc. They're not going to ask you to change the story entirely and turn the plot upside down (after all, they bought the book, so they must like it) but their goal is to produce the best book possible, and if that means changing the plot or characters slightly, they'll suggest that too.

Though when I say my writing needs an editor, I don't expect them to do all the work for me. I edit and make my book the best it can possibly be, then the editor comes in with a fresh pair of eyes and makes it even better :) … hopefully. Haha.

So I made sure I had pants to fit for work but forgot to get some for when I'm on vacation. Sometimes losing weight is a pain in the butt.