Jasmine23

Proposals!!!

44 posts in this topic

Ok Ladies so the fellas are a bit scared to tell how they would propose to their further wife :-p I think it would be a good idea to have a go at telling them what you would like! Since we all want something specific let's give them ideas! You can post pictures or videos to give the a taste of what you like! LET YOUR IMAGINATION FLY!! ;-)

For me.... intimate private ballroom with close family and friends only. Orchids around "Angels Brought Me Here " by Guy Sebastian or " God Gave Me You " By Dave Barnes would be one of the songs he could play.... it's sort of a play off 7th Heaven when Lucy got engaged to Kevin!

Lucy in 7x15 "I Love Lucy" - Lucy Kevin engagement: http://youtu.be/hRDZ2wP6XNI

1 person likes this

I am thinking more just the two of us. I would go speechless and turn many shades of red if it where to happen in front of a crowd of people. But I would like to point out that I would think its awesome if he got my parent's approval first, just out of respect for them. :)

Thank you Jasmine for putting more pressure on us guys to "one up" all your astromically high expectations :P

6 people like this

Mine was perfect.

We already talked to our parents and agreed to get married, and he was super obvious about calling me up in the morning to "hang out" (we usually hang out in the evenings).

We went to a garden that was barren since it was still in the middle of winter, but there was a nice gazebo in the center. There he got down on one knee and told me he wanted to spend his life with me.

I said OK.

Then he gave me a 3DS and said no backsies.

[EDIT: Spelling]

7 people like this

For me, it won't matter because it's a time that I'm sure that I will never forget!  It doesn't need to be anything spectacular, but as samaye said I would prefer it be just the two of us and the words from his heart.  That being said I do hope that he asks my father first and has a tissue or handkerchief in his pocket.  ;-)

1 person likes this

I've always wanted mine to be super romantic and creative. If he's a pretty creative guy that's definitely brownie points for him. I love watching videos of the unique proposals, and that's what I always imagined I'd have one day. Maybe I have my standards too high, but I still want it to be something that I can say was a very unique way to propose. :P

2 people like this

Thank you Jasmine for putting more pressure on us guys to "one up" all your astromically high expectations :P

Hahahaha I'm happy to help my Dear! :D

Ladies of course parental permission is key I wouldn't say yes until I knew he talked to them first! And you all are giving me flutters such cute and romantic ideas! Now the fellas can't say they have no idea what we want! Haha

1 person likes this

Am I the only one here who actually wouldn't want my parents to know about my engagement before I know about it?? lol

9 people like this

Am I the only one here who actually wouldn't want my parents to know about my engagement before I know about it?? lol

I think so....?

Idk my parents are too big of a part of my life and I'm the only WTM child left so I have to have their permission first!

I love watching videos of the unique proposals, and that's what I always imagined I'd have one day. 

Haha that's EXACTLY what I do! There's this blog site that shows just creative engagement videos and it's giving me high standards in what I want in my own engagement. So bad haha. 

But as for me, I would also like my future hubby to be creative. I also would love our close friends and family to be hidden somewhere and pop out when it happens so we can all celebrate together because nothing means more to me than my family and friends. We'll see what happens when I meet that one though :) Hopefully it's video taped though :P 

2 people like this

Like others have said, I'd like for mine to be something personal and intimate.  I like watching the big extravagant ones as a spectator but as for being involved in it I'm not sure  ^_^ The kind of person I am, I picture it being just the 2 of us, sitting very close together somewhere or cuddling.  Where exactly is open to adjustment. At the moment, I'm thinking by body of water as the sun is setting, watching the duckies slowly retire for the night and listening to the faint sounds of nature around us.  I picture it happening after a party/get-together of some sort.  Why? Because we'll have probably spent  the evening interacting and mingling with others and not really paying attention to each other all that much so now, we'll want to cool off and make up for it. As we discuss the different people we met, we'll reaffirm that we're glad to always fall back on each other :) With that I'll be asked to be shown something ;) I'll have been expecting it to happen based on how we've felt about each other for a while but he'll lovingly remind me about how much he loves me and wants to spend the rest of his life with me   :wub: We'll then probably hug and kiss several times.  I'll put on and gush over my new ring and then I'll want to get up and dance around like a giddy little girl; eagerly awaiting to tell everyone our news.

Personally, asking the parents permission first sounds INCREDIBLY old fashioned to me.  By the time the engagement happens,  I would expect us to have spent a good amount of time around each others families and for them (based on observing our relationship) to be expecting or even wanting it to happen. Asking permission just seems more appropriate in a situation where the relationship is arranged and not much pre dating is involved.  Also, how come the girl doesn't have to ask any type of permission from the guy's parents? This is just my personal perception though. I can see how something like that could also be viewed as very noble as well.

5 people like this

To me asking for my hand, is another way of saying do you think I am good enough for your daughter and do you accept me in your family. I would like to think by the time we reach the proposal stage we will know each other families very well and know there wishes when it comes to marriage. Still if he felt complied to ask, since my daddy has passed, that leaves big bro. Bum bum buuummm, lol.

I dont want an over the top proposal, all glamourous and expensive, it can just me us.

But if we are talk "dream" proposal, then I like to be serenaded. Its so cute and sweet. Even guys who doesnt have a singing voice. Like this guy Adam who has a terrible voice kept singing next to my door for me to come back out after he was being a jerk, horrible singing voice, singing loud enough for whole dorm floor to hear him, embarrassing yes, but still sweet.

I want my guy to sing to me, something like Jagged Edge- Lets Get Married, or Brian McKnight- Back At One, or if he wanted to go really ol' school Lenny Williams- Cause I Love You. (Who know about that!) Can be in front of a large crowd doing karaoke, in front of our family/ friends or just me lounging on the sofa and he strolls in with a guitar and using my hairbrush as a mic, lol. It would all be special to me, as long as it ends with him getting down to one knee.

3 people like this

I just want him to say, "Well, you won't have sex with me until we're married so we should just get this over with" and hand me the ring. 

My humor is getting darker. lol

9 people like this

I just want him to say, "Well, you won't have sex with me until we're married so we should just get this over with" and hand me the ring. 

My humor is getting darker. lol

Hahahahahahaahaha! That made me literally Laugh out loud!!!!

1 person likes this

I wouldn't mind if my boyfriend went to my mom/friends to help plan a surprise or to get feedback on a ring, but I'd be pretty pissed if he asked for her "permission" to marry me (and I have no relationship with my father, so asking him would be out of the question).

Anyway, the boyfriend and I talk about getting married almost daily, so the "proposal" will basically be an excuse to give me a shiny ring when we can finally afford one.  ;) I haven't spent too much time thinking about it, because I don't want to get my heart set on any given scenario only to be disappointed when he does something different. He is very literal-minded when it comes to romance (we promise each other always, he gives me a necklace with "always" written on it, our "song" is "Songbird" by Fleetwood Mac, he buys me a bouquet of flowers specifically because there are birds on the vase), so I admit I'm curious to see what he will do for a proposal.

5 people like this

Okay, this is really cliché and it will probably never happen, but...

I want him to propose to me with the song "All I ask of you" from the Phantom of the Opera.

He doesn't need to sing it (although it would be a massive plus if he did!) but I want it to be in there somewhere. I don't mind if there is an audience, or if it's just the two of us, and I don't mind where we are. All I know is that I could NEVER say no if he proposed to me with that song  :wub:

But I'm not holding up my expectations :P

5 people like this

I try not to dream on it , so I wouldn't be disappointed when it falls out of my expectation zone :P

But there is this very special place  that is dear to my heart & I would love to visit one day ... maybe we go together on a trip & he proposes there :wub:   , anything he comes up with  , would be great with me  ...as long as it shows he thought of me specially ...

After all , the whole point of all of this is .....THE RING ,

so it'd better be big .. lol ,  No pressures ,though :P

big-wedding-rings-diamonds.jpg

1 person likes this

I just thought of an interesting question!!  What do you ladies think of potentially being THE ONE who proposes marriage to your partner?  :) Even in this day and age it's not a common thing at all.  I remember hearing about one documented on one of those "Ultimate Proposal" shows and also recall it happening at one point on the TV show "Friends" But other than that, I don't think anyone even considers it.

Back when I was feeling extra rebellious against society, I vowed to absolutely be the one who proposes marriage.  However, as I've thought about it more and more, it's not something I really want. It would make me feel special and loved to have a guy tell me what a wonderful person I am and how much he wants me to be his wife, so even though I'm all for girls proposing if that's what they want, I probably will not do it myself (but who knows?)

Also, I'm not really sure how I would go about it if I planned to propose.  Getting a diamond ring doesn't seem fitting at all  :P One idea I had though was to write him a very romantic letter stating all the reasons I love him before finally asking the question.  I think it would be cute to include a photo of myself wearing a wedding veil or something...to get him in the mood  :)

2 people like this

I just thought of an interesting question!!  What do you ladies think of potentially being THE ONE who proposes marriage to your partner?  :) Even in this day and age it's not a common thing at all.  I remember hearing about one documented on one of those "Ultimate Proposal" shows and also recall it happening at one point on the TV show "Friends" But other than that, I don't think anyone even considers it.

Back when I was feeling extra rebellious against society, I vowed to absolutely be the one who proposes marriage.  However, as I've thought about it more and more, it's not something I really want. It would make me feel special and loved to have a guy tell me what a wonderful person I am and how much he wants me to be his wife, so even though I'm all for girls proposing if that's what they want, I probably will not do it myself (but who knows?)

LOL, this is what I don't quite understand. Many girls don't seem to have a problem with asking guys out or being the one to make the first move or whatever. But when it comes to proposing, it is virtually unanimous among girls that they guy must be the one to propose.

Why is it okay for one but not the other?

1 person likes this

I'm wondering the same thing!!!!!!  Like, even on that show where they were documenting proposals where they FEATURED a girl proposing had a little segment at the end with an open question to girls about "How do you want your guy to do it? Please let us know online!!!" I didn't like that.  The media is very influential and if someone who had an alternate idea in my were to see that, it might make them potentially feel weird and stupid which THEY ARE NOT!!!!!

Ultimately this is one of the remaining relics of traditional gender roles still sticking around. Men were traditionally viewed as being the ones who cared for the wife (it is also apparent in other traditions such as the father giving away his daughter and a woman changing her last name) so because he had to show this especially before the marriage began, it was his job to do an especially good job of proving it.  Nowadays, women have become more independent but I think there are certain inherent "traits" that are still attached to the 2 genders.  Like even though a woman can make decisions for herself and speak out if she feels strongly about something, they are still seen as inherently more "fragile"  In my opinion, this is best manifested in the stereotype that women are always self-conscious about things like their appearance and have to be constantly shown appreciation by the guys that love them.  Guys are in turn stereotyped as not having any problems like that.  So if a man wants to marry a woman he has to "prove" that he will not allow her to feel those insecurities and also that she is worth great things no matter how "plain" she is (hence the ring thing ;) ) Since those kind of insecure feelings are not recognized as much in guys, it's not seen as "necessary" for the woman to ensure that he feels special (cause he already inherently thinks that due to being a guy!!!! lol)

Lol Hope that made sense :) Like I said before though, I don't see anything weird about girls proposing and I encourage them to go for it if they are thinking about it.  I've seen lots of guys who are self-consious about themselves and a lot of girls who have all the confidence in the world so to have the above feelings described reversed is not incomprehensible to me :)

3 people like this

Okay, this is really cliché and it will probably never happen, but...

I want him to propose to me with the song "All I ask of you" from the Phantom of the Opera.

He doesn't need to sing it (although it would be a massive plus if he did!) but I want it to be in there somewhere. I don't mind if there is an audience, or if it's just the two of us, and I don't mind where we are. All I know is that I could NEVER say no if he proposed to me with that song  :wub:

But I'm not holding up my expectations :P

^^^Okay, love this!

Yeah, I was going to reply that I didn't have any ideal proposal thing in mind. But I read this, and remembered, "Oh, yeah, I do!"

Okay, you all know I'm a die-hard Phantom of the Opera fan. So I did think of a little scenario ages ago that would make a great proposal...My boyfriend takes me down to London to see Phantom on stage. We go for dinner first in a fancy restaurant, then go to the theatre. I probably buy some Phantom-related items from the little gift shop, and then we go to take our seats (near the front). Near the end, my boyfriend makes an excuse to leave for a minute (I'll probably assume it's to go to the bathroom, or whatever).

After the play, during the applause and bows and whatnot he's still not back, when the guy who plays the Phantom addresses the audience: "Ladies and Gentlemen, if I may have your attention...There is someone in the audience who has something he would like to ask..." And then my boyfriend appears on stage, and I'll probably freak out a little as everyone will start cheering. And someone's going to have to lead me up on stage during all those cheers, round through backstage and onto the stage with my boyfriend (because I've done the research, of course, and you have no stairs to get up on stage from the front of house).

Once I'm up there, the orchestra will start playing "All I Ask of You", and my husband will start singing it, and I can sing it back (because obviously, I'm saying 'yes'). And then I'll probably cry, and we'll kiss in front of everyone and everyone will cheer...

Yeah, that's what I came up with. Crystal Faerie, if you like that idea, feel free to use it, too! 

xxx

3 people like this

I'm VERY old school so I think the guy should ask the woman..... but if I had to I'd use something he Loves like a video game... I have a friend that makes things and I'd have him make a replica of the video game and I'd switch it out and I'll have dinner almost prepared and I'll have him go and play his "game" and it would be super awesome id be in the bame as a character and he'd be a character and I'd go all out and propose! I DON'T KNOW WHY BUT I JUST GOT SUPER EXCITED ABOUT THIS! hahaha

4 people like this

^^^Okay, love this!

Yeah, I was going to reply that I didn't have any ideal proposal thing in mind. But I read this, and remembered, "Oh, yeah, I do!"

Okay, you all know I'm a die-hard Phantom of the Opera fan. So I did think of a little scenario ages ago that would make a great proposal...My boyfriend takes me down to London to see Phantom on stage. We go for dinner first in a fancy restaurant, then go to the theatre. I probably buy some Phantom-related items from the little gift shop, and then we go to take our seats (near the front). Near the end, my boyfriend makes an excuse to leave for a minute (I'll probably assume it's to go to the bathroom, or whatever).

After the play, during the applause and bows and whatnot he's still not back, when the guy who plays the Phantom addresses the audience: "Ladies and Gentlemen, if I may have your attention...There is someone in the audience who has something he would like to ask..." And then my boyfriend appears on stage, and I'll probably freak out a little as everyone will start cheering. And someone's going to have to lead me up on stage during all those cheers, round through backstage and onto the stage with my boyfriend (because I've done the research, of course, and you have no stairs to get up on stage from the front of house).

Once I'm up there, the orchestra will start playing "All I Ask of You", and my husband will start singing it, and I can sing it back (because obviously, I'm saying 'yes'). And then I'll probably cry, and we'll kiss in front of everyone and everyone will cheer...

Yeah, that's what I came up with. Crystal Faerie, if you like that idea, feel free to use it, too! 

xxx

That is so awesome!!! I would never be brave enough to sing that song on stage in London though… I would probably end up squeaking the lyrics like a mouse on helium :P Such a great idea though!

As for me proposing to my boyfriend, personally, I couldn't imagine myself doing it. Mostly because I would get too nervous and end up on both knees being sick in the bathroom, instead of on one knee in front of my boyfriend (don't we all love hypersensitivity…). But I find it really sweet when other girls do it :) I love the story of how Queen Victoria proposed to Albert - and that was back in the 1840s!

3 people like this