Olivier

How Do You Know That...

17 posts in this topic

...God listens? Many of us have a relationship with Him. How do you know He listens? Any stories, big or small?

I'll break the ice. I have 2 stories. For the purposes of brevity, I'll give you one, for now. 

1.) One day at work I get a phone call from a strange #. Typically I don't answer numbers that I don't know, but I had recently moved into my own place so I figure it could be something house related. I answer and it's a woman on the other line. After butchering my name 2-3 times, she goes "Let's start over." She tells me her name, and she's actually from a not-for profit organization, for children, that I donate to. She called "Just to say thank you." She didn't ask for any more money or anything like that. She also asked my birthday because the organization is planning to send out cards. I thought that was really cool, thanked her for the call, and went back to work, thinking nothing of it.

It was only on the bus ride home that I flashed back to an incident that had occurred a couple of weeks earlier. I got a letter from a Christian radio-station that I donate to ( I split my tithe between my church, a Christian radio station, and a not-for profit for children.). The letter thanked me, but of course the last line was something along the lines of "Can we count on your support for another year?" For a while I had been feeling like the more you give, the more people want. I got frustrated. I actually said out loud. "Does anyone ever just say thank you?" I can't remember if it was to God, or just to myself, but clearly He listened. I'd been donating to that charity for 7+ years. This was my first call from them. 

Your turn. How do you know He's listening? Big or small, I'd love to hear it. :-)

7 people like this

A couple years ago I was having such a hard time in high school. I was in the middle of a deep depression after my abuse and felt like I had no motivation. I missed more than half of school and had a lot of medical issues too. I had a dream of being a doctor and I happened to come across a prestigious, competitive internship for aspiring doctors in high school. You got to take classes, do research, and do 12 hour overnight shifts with an emergency medicine resident. What a dream, right? The catch is, you had to have certain stats to be eligible, like a 3.5  GPA. I didn't have that. I applied anyway and sent in some extra things. I knew there was a reason for my passion for medicine so I asked God to let them see that  and give me a chance if that truly was His purpose for me in my life. 

I was accepted :)

10 people like this

I don't claim to know that God listens, or even that He exists for that matter. But I believe He exists and I believe He listens. So many wonderful experiences in my life could have just been coincidence. But there is one thing that happened that I believe is a bit of a miracle. So...

One day when I was almost 10 years old, my mom and I were stopped at a red light. I was sitting in the back seat of the car and I heard a man's voice saying "move," which is weird because it was only my mom and I in the car. I ignored it, then again a few seconds later I heard it say "move" again. I took my seat belt off, moved to the seat on the other side of the car, and a few seconds after I buckled my seatbelt, a car crashed into the side of the car I would have been on, had I not moved. Turns out a drunk driver ran the red light and smashed into the side of our car. We didn't even see the other car coming. If I hadn't moved, I would have been crushed. 

I've taken some psych electives in undergrad, so I know about the "placebo effect" of religion. I'm still a Christian anyway because of the beliefs and experiences I've had. Whenever I tell that story, someone always tries to convince me it wasn't God or even an angel warning me to move. But I know what happened and I know what I heard. Trippy story, I know. 

Thoughts? 

6 people like this

Sounds like divine intervention for sure! That reminds me of a story my grandma told me a long time ago. She was young, maybe 6 years old. Her mother was very sick, I think with stomach cancer, and she had gone alone into the barn to cry and she pleaded with God that she would live. She heard "Have faith, my child", and her mother lived into her 80s :)

6 people like this

Sounds like divine intervention for sure! That reminds me of a story my grandma told me a long time ago. She was young, maybe 6 years old. Her mother was very sick, I think with stomach cancer, and she had gone alone into the barn to cry and she pleaded with God that she would live. She heard "Have faith, my child", and her mother lived into her 80s :)

Amazing  :)

A couple years ago I was having such a hard time in high school. I was in the middle of a deep depression after my abuse and felt like I had no motivation. I missed more than half of school and had a lot of medical issues too. I had a dream of being a doctor and I happened to come across a prestigious, competitive internship for aspiring doctors in high school. You got to take classes, do research, and do 12 hour overnight shifts with an emergency medicine resident. What a dream, right? The catch is, you had to have certain stats to be eligible, like a 3.5  GPA. I didn't have that. I applied anyway and sent in some extra things. I knew there was a reason for my passion for medicine so I asked God to let them see that  and give me a chance if that truly was His purpose for me in my life. 

I was accepted :)

RYB, that was incredible! Thnx for sharing. How inspiring. Since you were so brave, I guess I'll admit that I too suffered from about a 5 year bout with depression. That's what brought me to Jesus in the first place. By the way He cured it. Didn't ask Him to, but He did. Happened 9 years ago, but I'll never forget. Thnx again.

I don't claim to know that God listens, or even that He exists for that matter. But I believe He exists and I believe He listens. So many wonderful experiences in my life could have just been coincidence. But there is one thing that happened that I believe is a bit of a miracle. So...

One day when I was almost 10 years old, my mom and I were stopped at a red light. I was sitting in the back seat of the car and I heard a man's voice saying "move," which is weird because it was only my mom and I in the car. I ignored it, then again a few seconds later I heard it say "move" again. I took my seat belt off, moved to the seat on the other side of the car, and a few seconds after I buckled my seatbelt, a car crashed into the side of the car I would have been on, had I not moved. Turns out a drunk driver ran the red light and smashed into the side of our car. We didn't even see the other car coming. If I hadn't moved, I would have been crushed. 

I've taken some psych electives in undergrad, so I know about the "placebo effect" of religion. I'm still a Christian anyway because of the beliefs and experiences I've had. Whenever I tell that story, someone always tries to convince me it wasn't God or even an angel warning me to move. But I know what happened and I know what I heard. Trippy story, I know. 

Thoughts? 

Jess, I got chills reading that. Seriously. To me, it sounds like God's involvement. It can be so hard to discern between our voices and that "still small voice" at times though. Do you and your mom ever think "what if"?

3 people like this

@Oliver, My mom and I were in shock over it. At first it started off as a serious discussion, but it's been over ten years since that happened, so now the convo is usually:

Mom: Hey, good thing you moved, haha.

Me: Duh. 

Despite our joking I am completely grateful. If I hand't moved and somehow survived being hit, I would've been maimed.

God bless. 

He is very real.  He's helped me with real life issues many times, and solved or provided when there was no one else to.  Sometimes He allows challenges to come along just so He can show His power and care over the ones who love and obey Him.  See John 9, esp. verse 3.

3 people like this

And we are confident that he hears us whenever we ask for anything that pleases him

(1 John 5v.14)

The LORD hears his people when they call to him for help. He rescues them from all their troubles.

(Psalm 34 v.17)

Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear

(Isaiah 65 v.24)

3 people like this

I know God listens , I live for that ... :)

I will share one of my stories ...

First a little background ....

Well , back when I was a kid , I  used to talk to God all the time , we have this kind of relationship , that I can absolutely say anything on my mind or nothing at all .... some days my heart is too heavy to spill a word ,,, I just look up & say " You know " ...& always always alwaaaaays ,, He kindly hugs me through the day ... like traffic would be so easy to go through , I meet people who cheer me up , He sends me random messages like he always used to ... oh ,  the list goes on & on ... even little things .. like my favorite seat in the library " which should be taken in the second period of classes & that's for sure "  on heavy heart days ...amazingly I find it there ,  waiting for me ... :D

"I know I might sound weird or delusional  to some people , but really ... it is the little things ..really  the little things he speaks to me through ,,, because I so much pay attention to the tiny details , so God speaks to me according to my mind hahahaha   

A story that happened with me which proved that he listens even more than ever ....

I went through a very painful time in my life ... it has been years ... I never gave up on God ... but the pain was still there & I am still hurting ....

I went to a christian prayer day ,,,the day started by praise then a brother spoke ..." first I should have mentioned , My friend & I were discussing something on the bus on our way there ... he said some stuff & we prayed together that God speaks to him through the day  "  so back to what the  brother spoke of  ...Oh God , it was like the words were written specially to my friend ...word to word :)  even the verses , the prayers ...all of it ...was all about what we spoke of earlier 

we looked at each other speechless .....!

the amazing part is still to come

That was first period , then we had a lunch break . during that break ...I separated from the group " wanted to be alone for a while " & I just said ..  " Lord , speak to me  , you know how much it hurts ..It is getting harder &  I can't take all of this alone ...."  

then couple of minutes later , I ran into an old friend who I haven't seen for a year ...we hugged & talked & all ...then there was another woman with her ...she introduced us ... 

at first , that new lady  " she is 7 years older than I am  , graduated from medical school - working as a resident currently in a missionary hospital "

at first she seemed so quite & didn't interact much .... Lunch break was almost over , so we all walked together heading for the prayer hall again ...

I don't know how it happened  ...but we  " the new  friend & I "  separated from the group ...we started talking about medicine in the beginning hahaha ,  shared interests & all  ....but then ...it got deep ...I can't describe it literally ...but she had a similar experience like mine ... we kept talking & talking ....the more we talked ...it felt like God was sending us both messages ....oh god , I felt complete & infinite ...we skipped the second period of prayer & kept talking for almost 5 hours ...about it all ... "haven't talked about it before like that - haven't had someone to even understand how painful it was or what I dealt with  "

God touched my heart , showed us stuff , we prayed , she recommended me a book that would help me along my healing path ... In short .....It was magical  :wub:

Sorry If I rambled a lot , I know ....but I can speak all daaay about how God handles my life ... &Once I get started ,  it is hard to shut me up  :P  

there are other stories ,,, but this one is the most recent /most powerful one so far . 

God listens , He really does , just make sure , You listen when He whispers back at you  :) 

2 people like this

Thoughts? 

I dont know , Jess , ...I  have heard  more powerful stories than that ...so Placebo or delusion or whatever .. some experiences just can not be by coincidence or plain chance .... there is something more to it 

Some  call faith a delusion anyway ..& some may think you crazy or hypnotized hahaha but I would choose faith over science &

theories any day :P

I even believe, God has special way to talk to people who overthink with their minds & need reasonable , scientific proven evidence for everything ... " I am kinda like that " 

so he may speak to someone in a dream , plain dream ...

or through a verse , or something that many people would call a coincidence ...

or or he has to go all the waaaaay , to do it in person :D

Then he said to Thomas, "Put your finger here; see my hands. Reach out your hand and put it into my side. Stop doubting and believe."

John 20:27

Members of my family have nearly died many times and exceeded the expectations of doctors and survived many operations and health problems against the slimmest of chances. Each of those times, I  was asking God to help them. But other times, when I didn't ask, things just went as badly as you would expect.

3 people like this

That women's intuitionthingy? Just a feeling when you pray for little things and they happen, I always say thank you too ^.^

Well, my first story (like RYB) came from my abuse experience. I was having a rough time in my early 20s. At the time, I felt unfocused and unmotivated. However, that particular night, I decided to turn on the television and watch a PBS special. The special centered on a performance by Josh Groban at the Greek Theatre.  I had tuned in when he was about to perform the song "Mi Morena" with classical guitarist Tariqh Akoni. Well, after hearing only a few minutes of the performance, I realized I was in love with the guitar. Now, I have never fell in love with a woman, but imagine that is what it would possibly feel like.  I loved the sound and I wanted to play as good as that guitarist.

In order to play guitar, I realized I needed an instrument. Luckily, my dad had one that was lying around the house. I didn't know anything about the instrument, so I prayed to God in a non-chalant way to send me a guitar teacher. Amazingly, I found a guitar teacher a week later. He taught me the basics. Unfortunately, I couldn't continue lessons with him because of schedule conflicts. After I left him, I prayed to God again to send me a music teacher. He sent me my current choir director (who is also my band leader and good friend). Ironically, he was also praying to God to find him a bandmate (the succesful band he was with disbanded), and he believes God had sent him me.

The second story has a similarity to Olivier and RYB's story. I also suffered from depression for a long time (around 4-5 years perhaps). One day, I came home and laid on my bed. I felt empty, alone, and depressed. I remmember staring at a picture of Jesus and without thinking, just telling him my problems. Now, granted, at that point, praying was difficult for me (I think it had to do with trust issues coming from my abuse experience), but at that time I really felt that I had nothing left. To make a long story short, I really believe Jesus healed me that day. My depression was lifted.

7 people like this

Most of the time, it's through the little things. Getting a text from a friend just when I needed their support, opening a book at a random page and the first thing I see has a spiritual meaning to me, etc...

But I have a couple of "big" stories to share which brought me to my faith. So here we go :) (As many of you know, I'm not a Christian, so please bear with me. I don't want to offend anyone, just to share how I, too, know that my Gods listen.)

When I was seven years old I was visiting a medieval castle with my extended family. I'd been to the castle several times, and I was showing off by telling everyone what different rooms were, who lived there, what the tapestries represented and so on. Typical seven-year-old show-off :P Anyway, we got to one of the towers, and my cousin ran up the stairs to look out one of the arrow slits. He shouted "Hey, what's this?" and as any overenthusiastic kid would, I ran up the stairs to explain.

Meanwhile, an elderly lady was walking down the stairs. As I ran past her, she shoved me and I fell through the bannisters. This is where it gets weird… The next thing I knew, I was standing some distance away in the doorway, and I was watching myself fall. The thing is, I wasn't alone. A man was standing next to me, dressed all in white, and holding my hand. I asked him what was happening and he said, "it's going to be okay". Then everything went black and the next thing I knew, I was lying on the floor and my whole family was rushing over to help.

Basically I'd fallen from a height of about 3 metres, head first, onto a stone floor. I could've broken my neck, been paralysed, even died... All I got was a concussion that was healed within a few days. I don't know who that man in white was (I can't even remember what he looked like), but I'm sure that he protected me that day. That was my first spiritual experience :)

The other story I want to share happened when I was 14 years old. It's not as spectacular, but I'll tell it anyway. At the time, I was obsessed with Ancient Greece and decided that I wanted to study the language at collège (more or less the equivalent of high school). Unfortunately, I hadn't studied Latin and for that reason I wasn't allowed to. My father talked to the administration, and meanwhile I prayed to the Greek Gods to let me study their language. I was like, "come on, hardly anyone cares about you anymore, and I'm one of the rare ones who actually wants to learn about you, so please let me" :P Well, it seems my prayer was heard - I was told that if I could catch up on 3 years of Latin in the next 3 months, I could study Ancient Greek.

At the end of the 3 months, I had to sit through a test to prove I knew a sufficient amount of Latin. The test was really hard and after handing it in, I was convinced that I hadn't passed. The day the results came in, I prayed to the Gods again and as I walked to the school, I saw an eagle flying overhead. They're pretty rare in that area, but it was unmistakably an eagle and it was flying right above me. Now, in Greek mythology, the eagle is a sign that Zeus is consenting to your prayer. Well, I got to the school and shockingly discovered that I had passed the test with exactly the number of points required to pass. First thing I thought? "Okay, maybe the Gods are legit after all" :P

3 people like this

God listens. I've seen & continue to see how prayers are answered that He is watching over us.

Sometimes I wonder how much He puts up with my shenanigans, though.

1 person likes this

I know this is a tough topic for many people... even among those who believe firmly...   I for one believe very firmly that He listens and there is always a plan, always a timing, always a reason...   it doesn't make any easier to take on the notion that it doesn't match with what you hope for, wish, expected, anticipate, or "try for"...   but I do firmly believe in it.

And as a consequence i know He listens.  some days it is like your dad or a teacher listening to you... taking in what you're sharing...   and sometimes that brings about no direct response in the moment... just that "nodding" that says I hear you, and I am listening...   and then there are active times when His hand clearly directs things in a specific way, clearly opens an unexpected door or for unknown reason closes a door that was expected...   I have had relationships fail (friend and romantic relationships)... I have had people walk into my life at the strangest most coincidental and most vital moments...   i have had jobs fail (recently no less) and new job doors open (very recently)...   I have those around me have physical and emotional issues that i know He is pushing me to help with in various ways...   

and all that is happening by design, and because He is listening even as He watches the plan and direction.   I'm a firm believer that God puts you in exactly the place you are at any given time... what you do with it... how you act, how you choose to participate (or not)... is your free will and human choice...   but usually my own sense of it....  is He put me there for a reason...  my duty is to figure out why... and do something...   whenever i can.   because He IS listening and watching and guiding.

[ just thought i would add my own experience here... in case it inspires a thought from someone else...   for it or against it either way :-) ]

4 people like this