Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest TheWaitingGame

Polygamy

53 posts in this topic

Had to get this out of the way.
Come on now, with gay rights and all I think polygamy is the next thing.
I believe people should have the right to enter a polygamous marriage.
I find it unfair how in every state you can marry your 2nd cousin and in some states your first and how gay people are getting more rights yet polygamists can not legally marry whoever they love.
As long as Consensual adults agree to enter a marriage then what is the matter?
I hope that in my life time I can see polygamists get the rights that they deserve.
Maybe I will became a polygamists right activist one day.
This really grinds my gears.
The shows like Sister Wives and My 5 wives inspired me.
They're normal people too. And are doing nothing wrong.

You just opened up another can of worms..... -_-

3 people like this

Yea biblically and legally it's illegal to be a polygamist and to be gay but being gay was accepted by the law. Not everyone agrees with gay marriage and polygamy. Lots of people have said after gay rights were pit into place, incest and polygamy would be the next acceptance of the law but still not everyone will agree with it.... but hey the world has to come to an end sometime soon anyway.

2 people like this

Biblically polygamy is acceptable.......... Many men in the bible had multiple wives

It WAS legal then it became illegal. Read hun.

1 person likes this

It is about people's rights, not selfishness.

To be fair, everyone has the exact same rights to marriage as everyone else. Everyone has the right to marry one person of the opposite sex. Now, you might not want to marry one person of the opposite sex, but marriage isn't compulsory, and there's nothing to stop you from being with whoever you want (so long as it's legal). Changing the laws on same-sex or polygamous marriages have never been about giving people the right to marry, but rather about redefining what relationship counts as a marriage, so that you can call the type of relationship you'd like a marriage.

We have to ask ourselves, why do states recognise marriages at all? What is the public purpose of marriage? It exists in almost every society, and for the same reason - to ensure children have a relationship with their biological parents. It's always been recognised that children deserve a relationship with their mother and father. If a child was born outside of marriage, there was no way to tell who the father was, and therefore no way to ensure he stepped up and took responsibility for his child. Marriage was a natural solution. Men and woman who wanted a relationship with each other would agree publicly to be in a lifelong, exclusive sexual relationship with each other, and to look after any children who resulted from their relationship. Now, men had to take responsibility for the children they brought into the world - as the husband, there was no question that they were the father (adultery sometimes happened, of course, but it would be presumed that the husband was the father, and at the very least, the child would be brought up by A father instead of none).

So that's the reason states legislate marriage - for the sake of children. Marriage is for children to ensure their rights, not as a means to make adults happy. There's no need to legislate for adult happiness, but children are defenceless and need to be protected - they can't demand a right to have both parents in their life. In places where we've legalised same-sex marriage, we've already lost that aspect of marriage being for the good of children. And now all kinds of adults are demanding, "Oh, we deserve to get married, too, because it's what we desire," taking no account of the fact that marriage isn't even for the good of adults.

Biblically polygamy is acceptable.......... Many men in the bible had multiple wives

It WAS legal then it became illegal. Read hun.

She's absolutely right. Polygamy was only legal under the old covenant, and even then, it was permitted but never condoned. You'll find passages in the Bible about "Blessed is the man with many children," but you'll never find "Blessed is he with many wives". In fact, the only times polygamy is mentioned in the Bible, it's depicted negatively. One of the most striking examples of this is the marriage of Jacob and Leah. He's tricked into marrying Leah, and then marries her sister Rachel, too. He strings Leah along, although he doesn't love her, or at least, not as much as her sister. There are some devastating quotes in there from Leah. Every time she gives birth, she exclaims things like, "I've given my husband a son; surely now he'll love me." "God's given me another son because he knows my husband hates me" "A third son - oh, this time, Jacob will be joined to me" "Four sons: this time, I will praise the Lord." It's not just an unhappy marriage - it's mentally abusive.

We get the same thing in 1 Samuel, with Samuel's mother Hannah. Before she has him, she's abused by her husband's other wife, because she can't get pregnant. There are no passages in the Bible that portray polygamy as a positive thing. The only times polygamy is mentioned, either it's a neutral description with no value judgement (just stating the names of the wives a man had, or how many he had, but nothing else), or it's a negative depiction, showing an unhappy marriage.

xxx

4 people like this

From the beginning God only created Adam and Eve so that right there shows he only intended for one Man and one Woman to be together. In the old testament Men had many wives. King Solomon is one of the few... 1 Kings 11:3 KJV

And he had seven hundred wives, princesses, and three hundred concubines: and his wives turned away his heart.

After a while God said no more so he said that having multiple wives was fornication so he said only one wife to one man and one man to one wife.... 1 Corinthians 7:2-3 KJV

Nevertheless, to avoid fornication, let every man have his own wife, and let every woman have her own husband. Let the husband render unto the wife due benevolence: and likewise also the wife unto the husband.

2 people like this

I'd love to have many wives at once but that's just me lusting away. I mean if I seriously consider things I'd want just one woman. The love would be more genuine. I can truly love one woman if I have many then I might love one more than another but I certainly couldn't love all the same. It would take too much effort. So other than the crazy fantasy of being able to sleep with many women at once I think the whole polygamy thing is a terrible idea for me, the women, and kids. For me it is wrong. If you like it and want it then go for it! Hope jealously doesn't get in the way of those women.

Maybe women should have several husbands?

Man to man, woman to woman, man to woman, man to chair, I really don't care. Polygamy doesn't affect me negatively, it's just marriage.

Man to man, woman to woman, man to woman, man to chair, I really don't care. Polygamy doesn't affect me negatively, it's just marriage.

Man to chair, really? You really wouldn't care if marriage was redefined to allow people to marry inanimate objects? What would be the purpose in a state recognising that a man was in a sexual relationship with his chair? Of what benefit would that be to society? Why would we hold that relationship as equivalent to a man and wife, and just as worthy or recognition?

xxx

2 people like this

It's just to show I don't care who people marry. I don't think anyone is out protesting for equal chair marriage.

4 people like this

I think equal chair marriage should be legal. Why is it that I don't get the same rights and benefits of marriage as others just because the government thinks my love of chairs is ridiculous.

Let's fight for equal chair marriage rights! Who's with me!

2 people like this

Oh boy, chair marriage will be the next popular meme and it all started here :P !

Anyway, I think I made a similar topic about a year or more ago. So just to reiterate, I don't have any problem with polygamous marriages.

Chair marriage would be cool. You don't have to worry about too much. No nagging or cheating unless someone sits on the chair.... that would be cause for divorce.

2 people like this

I couldn't imagine anything worse - when I get married I want my husband all to myself!

Also, bizarrely enough, it is possible to marry an inanimate object, as this Florida woman did when she married a Ferris Wheel called Bruce. The mind boggles!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/florida-woman-marries-giant-ferris-wheel-called-bruce-8947143.html

I couldn't imagine anything worse - when I get married I want my husband all to myself!

Also, bizarrely enough, it is possible to marry an inanimate object, as this Florida woman did when she married a Ferris Wheel called Bruce. The mind boggles!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/florida-woman-marries-giant-ferris-wheel-called-bruce-8947143.html

Whhhhhaaaaaattttt!? Wow and I was joking.

She saw Bruce and her heart stopped. Then Bruce the rotting ferris wheel smelled pizza and it fell in love again...... then she had intimate moments with Bruce..... that's some Bruce Almighty intimacy right there....

Whhhhhaaaaaattttt!? Wow and I was joking.

What about a woman marrying the Eiffel Tower?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/2074301/Woman-with-objects-fetish-marries-Eiffel-Tower.html

Or a man who married his..."doll?"

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2439522/Davecat-40-shunned-organic-women-marry-synthetic-doll.html

Ummm..... I don't even know what to say...

We have reduced an argument about rights and the happiness of people into a ridiculous..... I do not even know what to call it. I am shocked. Utterly.

Jegsy Scarr. WHat you are saying is that men and women that have children from multiple people should be married to all those people.
Also you are saying that people that can not produce children shouldn't be married...

Many unmarried people have a relationship to their children..............

I don't really understand, with your viewpoint, why divorce is allowed then. Jegsy