Mike

Try it again!

24 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody,

So I *think* I worked a few kinks out of the Matchmaker this morning. Reload your browser window once, then try sending some crushes to yourself and let me know if it works more reliably.

More info than you want: Maddeningly, it was working perfectly for me, but that's because I had caching turned off in Chrome. Your browser, in an effort to speed up the web for you, stores copies of pages you request so they can be loaded "from cache." This is great, except when you want the pages to change a lot. So when your Matchmaker said "2" crushes even though you had "3," that's because your browser was spitting out the copy of the page it stored when you DID have 2 crushes.

2 people like this

Yep, seems to be fine!

(Getting a crush makes you strangely happy even if you know it's from you. "Yay! I like me!")

xxx

4 people like this

Getting an error message on my laptop (not phone) when I click on "forums". It says: error occurred with the SQL server: This is not a problem with the IPS Community Suite but rather with the SQL server. Please contact your host and copy the message shown above.

1 person likes this

@Olivier - Thanks for telling me about that. I think our server load just spiked for some reason and it hiccuped. I just submitted a ticket with our hosting company about it. I hope this doesn't mean we outgrew another server (we're on our third server upgrade right now).

1 person likes this

I haven't received the crushes all the girls sent me.

7 people like this

For some reason I cannot open it. I click on it and othing happens :o

I don't think Mirage or Matt recieved my crushes :(

Oh...right. Yes, I never saw it...

4 people like this

@Olivier - They've tweaked the server settings, so hopefully the site shouldn't go down anymore!

@Josh - Try sending it again now.

@Francois - Reload the page once, then as you hover over the button, wait for a second. You may see the "arrow" cursor turn into the "hand" cursor. That means it's ready to click. Also, what browser are you using?

Oh...right. Yes, I never saw it...

I didn't see it either.

Help me Josh, Asryll is suspicious of us!

2 people like this

@Francois - Reload the page once, then as you hover over the button, wait for a second. You may see the "arrow" cursor turn into the "hand" cursor. That means it's ready to click. Also, what browser are you using?

I get the hand cursor but still nothing happens when I click it. I am using Internet Explorer. Maybe it has something to do with my settings.

@Francois - What version of IE? It might have issues in older versions. I'll eventually add a note about that. Can you try in a different browser entirely?

@Mstr Josh - You should see the crush you sent yourself now, but you might need to send Matt another crush. Can you try it and let me know if it works?

I was wondering if there is a way to change the name that comes up. Mine comes up as the original name I had that only lasted about two hours (I was informed that it could stand for something other than my initials :) )

1 person likes this

I don't mean to derail this thread but today has been impossible to log in through the phone. Is anyone else experiencing this? I've tried using different browsers, deleting cookies, browsing history but nothing helps.

1 person likes this

@W41 - Sure! I think it's pulling your login name right now. As soon as I get a chance I'll change it to display your "Display name." In the mean time, I can manually change it, but just be aware that you'll need to log-in with your new name (right now I think you log-in with your old one, and then it shoes the new one). Hope that made sense. I'm taking about the thing you put in the "Username" field when you log-in.

@Jada - Do you get an error of any kind?

No, it just keeps logging me out every time I click on a different post and I have to sign in again.On the other browser(the one I usually use) doesn't allow me to sign in at all.

What if you took the matchmaker feature and separated it from the forums. Like you created a completely separate site within wtm.org. Users click on matchmaker and don't even need to be part of the forum. They just create an account there and add pics and some info. You'd have lots of work to do as far as creating the layout and creating a system where the computer predicts compatibility in a range of categories. In general it's like if you took okcupid or eharmony or whatever and renamed it matchmaker and just threw it on wtm.org in a section separate from the forums.

Just thought it's worth considering. It would be a full fledged dating site within wtm.org. I can see how this would bring in non-waiters looking to get lucky lol but it's worth looking at.

1 person likes this

@Francois - What version of IE? It might have issues in older versions. I'll eventually add a note about that. Can you try in a different browser entirely?

I think mine is 2010. I can try to download Google Chrome and try it on there.

@WeaponX - Glad you mentioned it! That's next. Well, after the redesign. I figured that if the Matchmaker was at all successful it would create a hunger for more extensive dating-site-style features, and that's exactly that I think is happening. The Matchmaker was our first, "trial" dating feature, to see if there was interest. Traffic on the forums has TRIPLED since launching the Matchmaker, and there are new matches every day (y u no announce, matches?), so I think it's safe to say that you guys are pretty clearly interested in dating features.

I can't wait to see how much the site grows when we actually start promoting dating features and adding more of them.

Also, I'm studying I-O Psychology in school (which helps select employees), so personality tests are kind of my jam. Really looking forward to building some compatibility tests! It's one of those situations where being a psychology student AND programmer suddenly comes in handy.

@Francois - Yes download Chrome! Every time a person ditches IE for Chrome, a web developer smiles and feels inexplicably happy for a moment.

2 people like this

@Francois - Yes download Chrome! Every time a person ditches IE for Chrome, a web developer smiles and feels inexplicably happy for a moment.

You could also try Torch. It's Chrome but with a torrent feature. I love both of them.

1 person likes this