Mike

Matchmaker feature launched!

52 posts in this topic

Hey Everybody!

You might have noticed a new button up there in our header (see "Launch the Matchmaker"). That's our new dating feature! Get to crushing, people! :D

Please play around with it and let me know if you encounter any problems. I hope this creates some new WTM.org couples!

For more details on the new feature, check out this thread.

8 people like this

Wow, it looks so cute!! Well done Mike:)

1 person likes this

Yay!  It looks awesome!

Only issue I can see so far is that there seems to be a problem with viewing new threads in the forum. You know how the unread posts are highlighted in blue? That's not going away, even after viewing the thread. I've had to manually click the "Mark forum as unread" button, and even then, it takes a couple of times.

Also, when I try to "Like" your post, it comes up with an error message: "There was a problem storing your reputation vote."

(I'm using Chrome, by the way.) Could be a problem on my side, but I was online when you launched the Matchmaker, and it was at that exact moment that it seemed to stop working...

That heart icon is so cute!

xxx

2 people like this

LOOKS AWESOME! Not sure if I'll use it just yet though! Lol

2 people like this

@Jegsy - I think some old code is probably cached for you. Can you try refreshing the pages a bunch of times and see if that fixes the reputation thing?

1 person likes this

This is exciting. I also like the heart icon

@ Mike: I also cannot like your post( I receive the same error message as Jegsy). Although, I do not notice the issue with the new threads. I am using Google Chrome.

Edit: Will try what you posted for Jegsy. And...it is fixed!

1 person likes this

What if you don't like anyone, but someone likes you and you want to find out who that someone is and then decide if he or she is worth a pursuit? 

1 person likes this

@Sio - Haha glad you liked that! I've never built an application for myself before (only ever for companies and other people). I finally get to be snarky in my help menus like I've always wanted to be.  :lol:

@Weapon X - Then guess all the people you could conceivably like if they liked you. Pretend it's [susie], decide if Susie would be worth pursuit if that were true, and if so guess her! If not, proceed to the next hypothetical. When you run out of hypothetical "I could like her"s, clear your crushes. They'll get a message encouraging them to get to know you and try again.

@Everybody - Two crushes have already been sent! The game is afoot. There's romance a'brewin!

Note: I can't even see who they're from/to. I only see how many and their status; it's all by anonymous ID.

5 people like this

Great job Mike!!!! You get two thumbs up!! :D

One question though! I am using this as an example, lets say I had a crush on Mike, so i selected him, then he started to guess out of the girls he likes, would the people who Mike guessed get a notice that someone has a crush on them as well??

1 person likes this

@ArtsyGal - Nope. The people I guessed would never know.  ;)

1 person likes this

What happens if I like myself? I'm gonna try it. lol

7 people like this

Oh, yay, I think it works again! I did try refreshing the page before, but it wasn't working...But anyway, seems to be fine now!

Oh, yeah, I was going to add...I clicked on the button to have a look at the thing and it looks great! Only thing I'd mention is, there's no button to X out of the thing. I know you just click anywhere else on the forum page to get out, but I wonder if it should have a little Close button as well, to make it extra clear? Just a thought...

But I haven't tried it yet. I shall wait patiently. I always figured guys should make the first move. Plus, I'm lazy. :P

xxx

@mike. I guess I asked that wrong, Iean if any has been crushed on and they guess, would the who were guessed be notified that someone is crushing on them??

1 person likes this

Mike clearly this feature isn't good for the site because everyone will match up and people are gonna be too busy dating, courting each other, getting married starting families to be able to use the site on a daily basis.

This feature will be successful, but perhaps too successful?

The nearly 4,000 members of waitingtillmarriage.org in about 5 years lol:797787177_1391056334.jpg

5 people like this

Oh, I can't believe I didn't post this the first time...

xxx

3 people like this

Okay, Mike, I think I spoke too soon. Refreshing the page works, but nothing is updating unless you refresh. Even my last post, on the thread, I couldn't see when I came to post this, until I'd refreshed the page again. Vince says he's having the same issue. He's using Chrome, too, but I wonder if it's a problem for everyone?

xxx

1 person likes this

@Artsygal - Nope. Your guesses are never notified that you guessed them. Is that what you're asking?

@Jegsy - That video was perfect! Also, I think the forum home page not updating is actually an issue with the forum software, or possibly Google Chrome, caching too much in the interest of speed. I'm going to have to look into that.

@Everyone - I know there are some quirks with the "like post" feature right now. Still looking into that.

@Nicole - I was wondering who sent a crush to themselves! Yes, you can do that if you want to see how the feature works. And now cue everybody crushing themselves...

So I sent a test "like" to Jegs (Nothing is going on between us so no rumors :P) and she never received it. Just giving feedback.

So I sent a test "like" to Jegs (Nothing is going on between us so no rumors :P) and she never received it. Just giving feedback.

Got it now! I think there's a five minute or so delay. I'll just guess your name, since I take it it's you. Or maybe someone else likes me...

Also, the notification's easy to see, so that's good. Right on the button.

xxx

Thanks, Mike. Don't know if it matters or if this was your intention but I noticed 2 things:

1) I can only see the matchmaker icon when I click on "forums". Again, I'm not sure if it matters (to you or anyone), but it's something I noticed.

2) On my mobile phone (HTC One, chrome web browser), it is slightly different. I cannot view the matchmaker icon when clicking on "forums". However, I can view it when I click on "view new content".

1 person likes this

Question #1:  Let's say PerfectWoman sends me a crush message.  But, I don't know of PerfectWoman so I guess a bunch of people but don't guess PerfectWoman and if I knew of PerfectWoman I would totally've guessed her but just didn't know of her.  Then, what do I do?  Because, then, PerfectWoman would think I didn't like her back when I really just didn't know who she was. Then, what?

Question #2:  Can you magically entice 1,000 attractive lesbian waiters to the site so that I could more utilize the matchmaker feature?  Great! Thanks! :)  

3 people like this

Thanks! But I don't need to use it since I already know that every woman on this site loves me, right?......................right?.............................ahem?............................

1 person likes this

@Olivier

1. That's intentional. Want to make sure all the kinks are worked out first, and then will add to the main site header to help "advertise" the match feature to lurkers and blog readers. Eventually, after the redesign, the site will be more unified, so you'll be able to matchmake from any page on the site, post article comments with your forum account, etc.

2. HMM. Does you HTC load the mobile template? Or do the forums look like they do on a desktop?

@Jgotmilk - I think you could find somebody in way less than 1,000 haha.

Mike, I can't clear the one crush thing I got from Vince. I keep clicking the thing to clear all crushes, and it comes up with the message that it's been cleared, but it still says on the matchmaker button and the little tab thing that I've got one crush...

xxx

Hey Mike. It's when I use desktop version on mobile.

Another thing: for some reason I can't log in on my laptop??? This just happened today. I am getting a permission error when all I'm trying to do is view forums. I have no problems on my mobile though.