Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Update: Pictures, at least!

16 posts in this topic

Contrary to my announcement yesterday, The WTM Matchmaker is going to have to wait a couple weeks to go up. It is AGONIZINGLY close to being launch-able, and I thought I'd have it up today for sure, but I found some new issues today when I started to put it up. I'm embarrassingly sorry for the tease.

HOWEVER, to prove to you that I am not making this up, and to give you something to look at tonight, here are some screenshots!

For purposes of example, let's say that 29Korea has a crush on me. (Don't start gossiping. I'm just picking on 29k because I featured her in the VideoChat screenshots and she's now the unofficial WTM.org screenshot girl). 

So, 29k opens The WTM Matchmaker...
matchmaker-ss-1.png

And searches for Mike...
matchmaker-ss-2.png

And clicks the amazing heart-shaped "Try" button...
matchmaker-ss-3.png

And then she waits (but she should be good at that, because you know, waiters gonna wait).

Later, I (Mike) log-in to my account, and look! There's a new crush waiting on me.
matchmaker-ss-4.png

But who could it be? I like 29k (in this example), so I'm going to guess her!
matchmaker-ss-5.png
matchmaker-ss-6.png

It was her! We matched! Yay! Next stop, babies named Mike "29" Korea.
matchmaker-ss-7.png

That's a preview of what you can expect when the feature launches after I'm done taking my psych finals. Let me know what you think! If this is a hit, we can slowly beef up dating features until we're a full-fledged dating site.

For those who have asked: The community will always be the core and most important part of the site. Here you'll find friends and support first, everything else second. But hopefully we'll make that second part a little more fun, easy, and encouraged.  B) 

Thanks for your patience!

11 people like this

I'm concerned (but not really) what if someone put everyone's name in until they found out who's crushing on them even if they don't like the people they put in. [and then tell everybody :( ]

5 people like this

@Egirly - Two ideas for that:

1. We could limit the guesses

2. We could depend on people's aversion to awkwardness to prevent them from declaring affections for somebody (by guessing them) who they didn't like.

Perhaps instead of putting a hard limit, there could be some kind of notification if a person is spamming likes (say 3 or more?), so an admin could deal with that person specifically/keep an eye on them? If someone is "liking" 78 people, they obviously are not using it for the original purpose, but a hard limit might be a little much. 

Also, the little heart button is adorable.

1 person likes this

@Mstr Josh - I'm developing it on download of our member database that is a couple months old; it will pull all the current names when I make live.  ;)

I told you not to tell anyone, Mike! *awkward* ;)

That said, I am proud to be the face of the WTM Matchmaker. May it bring many new WTM couples together!

8 people like this

@Ruby - That's a really good idea. I like that better than setting a hard limit, because with hard limit, the crush would just "go away" after you make 3 attempts to guess it, which puts some pressure on the guessing. I'll make it flag guess-spamming for the admins so we can address it case-by case. For the most part, I suspect that most of us will guess a few people then either leave it pending or clear it.

Yeah, Mike! It is looking really good! Very romantic :) Great job!

1 person likes this

matchmaker-ss-5.pngmatchmaker-ss-6.png

It was her! We matched! Yay! Next stop, babies named Mike "29" Korea.matchmaker-ss-7.png

"It was her! We matched! Yay! Next stop, babies named Mike "29" Korea."

LOOOOOOOL I reread this post and I saw that and it made my morning!

1 person likes this

Looking good Mike!

Not all of us are going to have a crush...hope you came up with some thoughtful message for those and not just "you have '0' crushes!"

lol I'm playing! Well, sorta.. :blink:

2 people like this

This looks great! So you only know if someone is crushing on you if you guess them?  That could spare many awkward feelings. :)

1 person likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0